Thin fretboards

mineymole

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
What other Uke makers create thin fretboards? I lover the fretboards on my 1950 Martin 0 and on the Kiwaya KTS4.

What other Uke makers create thin fretboards? I lover the fretboards on my 1950 Martin 0 and on the Kiwaya KTS4.

I had the impression that most have thin fretboards. I’m the opposite, I only like wider fretboards. That’s why my Collings will be moving on before the end of the year. It’s a great sounding and playing instrument but not for my pudgy fingers.

I'm not sure what your definition of thin is, but you might want to look into LoPrinzi.

I mean the actual fretboard not the neck. On the old Martin and Kiwaya it is quite thin. Others seem thicker... like 1/4 of an inch.

8F0BD24E-2362-4C4C-A7D9-E29DB805E8BA.jpg8F0BD24E-2362-4C4C-A7D9-E29DB805E8BA.jpg

Last edited:
The modern way of making ukuleles is to have a guitar like fretboard. The vintage ones had veneer like fretboards or frets set right into the neck. I don't really know if having the strings closer to the sound board on vintage or having a taller bridge and saddle on modern make a difference in sound transmission. I can tell that the vintage feel lighter and vintage Martins are special.

The modern way of making ukuleles is to have a guitar like fretboard. The vintage ones had veneer like fretboards or frets set right into the neck. I don't really know if having the strings closer to the sound board on vintage or having a taller bridge and saddle on modern make a difference in sound transmission. I can tell that the vintage feel lighter and vintage Martins are special.

I wonder if any luthiers are making them like this. I really love the look of it.

My style 2 looks like that - bar frets separated by thin veneers. And it is very light...

Is it how they make bar fret fretboards in general?

Top Bottom