NTMUD: Kala KA-KSLNG

Jim Hanks

Reaction score
This is one I definitely wasn't looking for, but I have been trying to move on my Ohana TKS-15E for quite some time. Still a great uke but just not getting playing time with my other choices available. So when igorthebarbian approached me about a possible trade for this long neck soprano, I didn't have to think for very long before I accepted. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with it exactly, but I like it, and it is different enough from the rest of the stable that it should get more use than the Ohana.

This is the laminate koa version of Kala's SLNG line. A few years ago, I had the laminate mahogany version. It was OK but seemed really small at the time and I sold it after getting a slightly longer KPK longneck. This one doesn't seem quite as small now though I'm pretty sure the dimensions are identical. Go figure. :)

It plays very comfortably and sounds pretty good with new Aquila Lava strings. Better feel than any other Aquila strings I've tried, though I'll probably swap out for flouros before too long.

By the way, these are Tom's pics. I'll give a playing sample at some point.
Fn2FluOl.jpg

cFl0Qt1l.jpg

XSNHc9el.jpg

Nice! That has been around for some reason, I bought it from Vic, who got it from HMS, sold it to a friend of mine, then saw Tom was looking for one and hooked those 2 up, Tom seems to buy and sell more ukes, even than I do! Hope that sweet little Kala has found a forever home! :D:shaka:

Ok, so I'll bite...what does NTMUD mean?

I bought it from Vic, who got it from HMS, sold it to a friend of mine, then saw Tom was looking for one and hooked those 2 up, Tom seems to buy and sell more ukes, even than I do! Hope that sweet little Kala has found a forever home!
Uh oh, hope it's not cursed. :eek: I saw a movie once about a red violin whose owners didn't turn out so well, but all of y'all are still alive, so maybe I'll be all right too. :cheers:

Love the sound of these, just thought they were a little too expensive. :)

As you know, I've been a fan of long necks for some time, & found what I was looking for in the tenor scale concert long neck, no more buying ukes for me. :D

P.S. I still have all 3 of my soprano long necks, don't think we'll ever part company, there's just 'something' about this style uke.

Last edited:
Nice! That has been around for some reason, I bought it from Vic, who got it from HMS, sold it to a friend of mine, then saw Tom was looking for one and hooked those 2 up, Tom seems to buy and sell more ukes, even than I do! Hope that sweet little Kala has found a forever home! :D:shaka:

Ok, so I'll bite...what does NTMUD mean?

I bet Vic sells quite a few to people here, and you can watch a video review of your uke. I've bought two from him - so far.

Uh oh, hope it's not cursed. :eek: I saw a movie once about a red violin whose owners didn't turn out so well, but all of y'all are still alive, so maybe I'll be all right too. :cheers:
Read the accordion crimes . Or better yet listen to it as an audiobook where at the end of each vignette you can sample a short musical rendition of each style of music played by the characters in the story. I prefer the condensed audiobook over the gory details in the actual full rendition. It's a great travel log of musical styles carried by the humble accordion, and a fun read. Author is E. Annie Proulx

How are the strings attached to the bridge?

It's a tie bridge but Tom (and maybe owners before that) are using the bead method - strings tied to the bead instead of tied to the bridge. Honestly I'm not sure what the advantage is but it works fine. I guess it is less stress on the bridge wood, but the tension is medium to low anyway.

Top Bottom