Who Uses A Pick With Their Banjo Uke?

ohiopicker

Reaction score
I searched the threads and did not find anything. Who uses a pick?

1) what material?

2) what brand size, and thickness?

I am having trouble getting a nice sharp sound. I am considering a leather pick for my Duke 10, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

For a nice sharp - and LOUD - sound, I would recommend the Planet Waves felt pick. I use one with my Tenor Firefly banjo uke.

61BMi7z2nsL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves...TF8&qid=1534475500&sr=8-20&keywords=felt+pick

I use a pick on my regular ukuleles :) I like to use the same pick I have used for years for my guitar playing - the little Dunlop Jazz III red nylon. I need to mention that I do not play in the traditional ukulele style. I play celtic, renaissance, and classical - and in fifths tuning. From time to time I use the same shape pick but made from bone and horn materials. I find these give a nice bright tone. The ones I use are made by Bob Colosi. He makes saddles, nuts, and picks from various materials.

I use Jim Dunlop .38mm or .46mm. I think the .46 is best. My Dummies book says not to use anything over .5mm. I made some from stiff leather, and they work okay too. I also have some big, clumsy felt ones, but I don't like ‘em at all.

I only use picks for picking. When I strum, I use plain ol’ fingers. :eek:ld:

Yep use d a Dunlop .46 and up a few. I recently bought a couple of custom picks from Bill Stokes of Showcase. He makes his out of a compound that sounds like the old original tortoise shell picks. I also ordered custom capos for my guitar and a jumbo baritone being built now.

Blows me away of the sound change using a professional pick and a regular Dunlop. His capos are like fine jewelry and don't stretch the strings out of tune like a regular Shubb or clamp down capo.

Anyone tried using a guitar pick on a Ubass with Phaoehoe(SP) strings?

I use a pick all the time on all of stringed stuff I have. Once one get used to using a pick, the versatility at is gained by it maked the effort worthwhile.

Yes, but what pick do you use with your banjo ukes?

Any medium gauge pick. I'm not fussy about brand or such. The inexpensive ones almost every half-decent music store have at the counter are okay by me. I usually get a handful at a time. If I find a few out of the handful that feel and sound good, that's all I need. Considering the number I tend to lose, the inexpensive ones make sense for me.

Top Bottom