Kiwi Crazy??? neck sizes??

Lori

Uke Crazy
UU VIP
Reaction score
I don't know what it is about the Kala Kiwi uke, but I like it and want one beyond all reason. There is just something about the way it looks that appeals to me. Yet, I fear that the fingerboard would be too cramped for my fingers. I have a long neck Kala Soprano, and can't imagine managing with less room on the fretboard. Yet, I realize that there are not as many frets on the soprano. So how much shorter is the soprano neck vs. the concert neck? I can get by on the concert neck.

Am I attracted to a uke that I might not be able to play? UAS at it's worst. Anyone out there have the Kala Kiwi, and what do you think of it.

Thanks,
Lori

Attachments

• kiwi.JPG
    kiwi.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 19
You're looking for someone to convince you not to get this uke. I won't do it! You'll be fine on the soprano neck. You should totally get it, if you want it so bad.

I don't think you really want it. You're making all kinds of excuses for not getting it. If you really want it, prove it. Prove it!

oh and get me one too please? thanks! :p

I have this uke!
The fretboard isn't cramped-- its just soprano sized :)
the only complaint I have about is is that the tuning pegs are a little oddly placed, and if you have Monster huge hands/wrists, it can make you fret certain cords a little funny... its not bad, just something to get used to.

All in all, I'd definately tell you to get this uke! its darn cool.

I first bought a soprano and the neck was cramped. Then I bought a tenor and it didn't sound like a uke nor have be breezy feel of the soprano. I'm back to sopranos and the necks are not cramped at all. It's all in your outlook. I say get it and have fun with it.

But then I'm not trying to talk you into it. I'm just acting as the dark side of Seeso.

Haven't seen that Uke before! It looks so cool! hehe

Those ukes are really cool looking. I will not urge you to get it though because that would be enabling.

It's just a matter of time, I know

Thanks guys....

I know I will have this one sooner or later. Perhaps sooner now I have more feedback on the uke. I am also wanting a high end uke, but I want to be able to try them out in person, so I will wait until I can go to Hawaii (or maybe San Diego/ Carlsbad) for vacation. It is strange to be wanting ukes from opposite ends of the market, but there you have it.

–Lori

I would get it. I didnt think I could fit my hands around a soprano and I did. I even have to go to a plus sized store to get gloves that fit my hands! If i can do it you can. trust me.

I would get it. I didnt think I could fit my hands around a soprano and I did. I even have to go to a plus sized store to get gloves that fit my hands! If i can do it you can. trust me.

Thanks Nikolo727, jkevinwolfe, cashew and seeso, I will think of you all, and the late great John King, for my inspiration to conquer the soprano category. It is such a cheerful looking instrument, I am sure I will really give it a good try. I am not petite. I am 5'10" and normal weight, so my fingers are maybe longer than the average woman's, but more tapered at the fingertips than the average man. It is clearly possible!

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement!

–Lori

Being the stubby little wart of a man that I am, I gave up guitar because I couldn't fit my hands around a classical neck properly. And my fingers are too wide to play an electric neck without deadening strings. But I have no issues with a soprano uke. Many cheaper sopranos seem to have a nice wide string spacing. I know my Flea does, but I'm not sure about Kalas.

I am not petite. I am 5'10" and normal weight, so my fingers are maybe longer than the average woman's, but more tapered at the fingertips than the average man.

–Lori

Were we separated at birth?

I'm 6'3, 250 lbs, with hands like shovels, and I can play my Kala Watermelon (and other sopranos) with ease. Don't worry too much, you'll get used to it.

i am 200 and 6' and play a soprano mainland. my hands are probably a size xl or 2xl in glove sizes

OK ... It's been ordered!

So, I just ordered my Kala Kiwi through MGM ebay site. I went with the ground shipping to save a few bucks, but I figure I can wait a few extra days. Thanks for all your input on the soprano size.

–Lori

So, I just ordered my Kala Kiwi through MGM ebay site. I went with the ground shipping to save a few bucks, but I figure I can wait a few extra days. Thanks for all your input on the soprano size.

–Lori

Congrats on the purchase!!! Its so purdy!

Top Bottom