Freeman Blues - tribute to Dirk Wormhoudt of Southcoast.

drbekken

Reaction score
https://open.spotify.com/track/2nAuhNH87z2HVqoGPAulkq

This is a recording of my solo guitalele blues playing, recorded a while back. The instrument is a Yamaha GL-1 guitalele, set up with Dirk's wonderful 'Eddie Freeman Special Guilele Strings'. The tuning is E to E like a guitar, with strings 4,5,6 one octave up. I love these strings. Dirk's approach gave me a new voice so to speak, a way of playing blues and improv that I truly cherish. I will miss his bulletins, his knowledge of all things uke, and his truly honest and straightforward way of making you feel respected as a customer and musician. May he rest in peace...he was one of a kind, and will never be replaced.

Very nice indeed.

Awesome, Doc. Have you figured out what you're going to do for EFS strings now?

I’m glad you posted this Doc...I have a set of these I bought some time ago for my Yamaha guitalele that I never put on. Kinda gave up on the guitalele as I either play guitar or play ukulele. Will have to dust of the Yammy and give them a go.
And RIP Dirk...his wealth of knowledge was more than my feeble brain could process at times...but I sure did like Southcoast strings on any uke I put them on. Wish I had a stash!
And btw I have always thoroughly enjoyed your playing over the years...Cheers! Keep it coming!

Thank you for the kind words, everybody!

About those strings; I do have a stash...a couple of years ago, I bought a bunch of sets, so I have about five or six left...I keep strings on for as long as possible, even a while after they start to get kind of muddy sounding, so unless they break they will last me a fairly long time. For replacement, I think I will have to experiment with certain classical guitar strings....or, I might try dGBE tenor uke strings and then add a 5th and 6th string to them from a classical gutar set (an A string tuned up a fifth to E, and a D string tuned up a fifth to A). I'll find a way, even if the strings may not match the standard set by Dirk.

might try dGBE tenor uke strings and then add a 5th and 6th string to them from a classical gutar set (an A string tuned up a fifth to E, and a D string tuned up a fifth to A).
Yeah, I think that would work. That's basically how I did my "Terz EFS" set up on the Mini but they were all Southcoast unwounds so I'd have to figure out a new formula as well.

thank you for the tribute to dirk

dirks memorial was the 25th of August. 4 songs were played on the last tenor uke he produced by a local artist who was making videos to demonstrate the sound. I think Dirk would have like that. Again he always spoke fondly of you and looked forward to the music you sent him. I plan to sell his packaged inventory soon, it was just hard going through it, but I finally did. thanks again for your kind words. hopefully I post this correctly.

Sheldra Wormhoudt

dirks memorial was the 25th of August. 4 songs were played on the last tenor uke he produced by a local artist who was making videos to demonstrate the sound. I think Dirk would have like that. Again he always spoke fondly of you and looked forward to the music you sent him. I plan to sell his packaged inventory soon, it was just hard going through it, but I finally did. thanks again for your kind words. hopefully I post this correctly.

Sheldra Wormhoudt
I am the one who should say thank you. Even though I never met Dirk in real life, he made an impact to be cherished.
I wish you all the very best for the future, and will try to honor his memory through my music.

Top Bottom