Koaloha super concert, 2017, with L.R Baggs 5.0 installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

fountainpenkid

Reaction score
Gently used for less than a year. Sounds great, but am not playing it enough and need the money. Some minor scratches and dings in a few places, but basically like-new, except for the label, which shows damage after removing a custom label glued over it. (Obviously this damage doesn't affect the sound.) Considering these retail for $1000 and the pickup system costs about $200, I think $750 shipped within the U.S is a reasonable price. TEMPORARY REDUCTION (I Really need to move this): $650 shipped to U.S (elsewhere at cost) Shipping to non-U.S location at cost. ON HOLD
If interested just send me a p.m!
SOLD

An update on this whole label business. Turns out the wonderful people at Koaloha will happily send you a new label free of charge. One is on its way to me now and I'll include it in the package with the instrument. All this fuss for naught!
IMG_6249.jpgIMG_6250.jpgIMG_6251.jpgIMG_6252.jpg
Photo with now-restored original label:
20180904_151940.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Bump! Small possibility I may be interested in a trade for other tenor-scale ukes--feel free to make an offer!
Should I post a sound sample?

Will you tell the story of "label redone by local artist" and post a photo?

Will you tell the story of "label redone by local artist" and post a photo?

Sure--probably should have done that in the first place! I didn't particularly like the Koaloha label, and wanted to make the instrument more induvidual, so I commissioned a simple abstract piece, specifying only that I wanted an orange background. The new 'label' is ink-on-paper, set with a shellac glaze I think. The original label wasn't removed, so I suppose you could attempt to remove the new one if it really bothered you (note, however, that I am not sure what adhesive was used). These pictures from my phone aren't great--the orange is actually a bit lighter--but hopefully they give somewhat of an idea. 20180829_202235.jpg20180829_202249.jpg

I've removed the label and separated the original, but not without some damage. I have reduced the price accordingly. Please know that the decision was made after thinking more about the sentimental value the art has to me, not in an attempt to make it more sell-able.

Final bump and reduction.

(I don't quite understand why no one seems to have any interest in this. There are no functional issues with it and it plays wonderfully!)

I wouldn't listen to the poll that closely. Sometimes you'll just hit a lull in uke interest. I think uke enthusiasts forget that we are not that huge of a group! Even if the popularity of ukulele is growing, there are only so many of us and only so many nice instruments.

There are a few people in this forum who are major collectors who buy a few instruments like yours every month, but many of us, even if big enthusiasts who own high end instruments, probably would have to be thoughtful about how to fit $750 into our budgets and couldn't just drop the money on the spot to add another to our collection.

I think your instrument has a very fair price, and I would buy it from you right away if it weren't for the fact that I've already shelled out $1000 this month to buy another instrument and I can only spend so much on my hobby this year. I love Koalohas and already own a tenor, concert, and soprano (and a super concert and original Koaloha D-VI are on my list to buy in the future). I wouldn't care in the least about the label being damaged as long as the rest is in great shape. I imagine many others wouldn't either.

You just might need to keep the listing up a bit longer than expected. If the instrument is in the condition you say it is, and if you'll pack it and ship it well (fast speed, packed carefulyl), I think your price is very fair given that Koaloha appears to have just done another decent sized price increase across all of their instruments. It still sounds like a Koaloha and is built like a Koaloha even if there are a couple rough spots on the label. I wouldn't suggest lowering it, myself.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Yeah, you have a point...

The poll result suggests most people do not want an instrument with a damaged original label. Is this really the case?

Perhaps, I know I'm finicky about labels for some reason. Maybe if you got Koaloha to repair/replace the label?

Perhaps, I know I'm finicky about labels for some reason. Maybe if you got Koaloha to repair/replace the label?

When someone buys this, they might be thinking of a possible resale in the future. A missing label could be a problem for them as well.

Your idea is a good one. KoAloha has a great repair policy.

When someone buys this, they might be thinking of a possible resale in the future. A missing label could be a problem for them as well.

Your idea is a good one. KoAloha has a great repair policy.

I will give them a call Monday and see if they can send one. To be clear, the original label is still there, but has some damage (see photos).

It is for me. I'd think, what else was done to the instrument.

I can understand that, but in this case--and I hope the pictures make this clear--the instrument is in very good condition overall.
(One more note about the label business. In the violin world, labels, long term, mean very little. Many older instruments have lost their original labels, had them replaced with a more valuable maker's label...etc. What matters to someone assessing the authenticity of a violin is the workmanship. Things are a little different with ukuleles, which are usually more machine-made, but really, it seems preposterous to me that the label would be the primary authenticating factor for this instrument in the future. The varnish, quality of workmanship, design...those are things that take real effort to get right all at once. As some know, Koaloha instruments are also engraved inside at the neck block, and that label includes the month and year of manufacture. I would care more about that than the flimsy generic piece of paper found inside all their instruments.)

Thinking about it for a while. I guess it would depend on the condition and the price reduction. In this case, it's one heck of a deal.

The label issue depends on who is buying it. For the collector it matters; for strictly a player, no big deal.

We've all gone thru the "personalize the uke" only to find out it devalues it when deciding to sell it.

Sam said it pretty well; K has a great repair policy and very friendly. I have little doubt it will sell

It appears the lesson here is if you modify something because that gives you pleasure you should plan on keeping it forever, because when you go to sell you will probably find that no one else will feel the same way. The only mods I make to my ukuleles are strings, strap buttons and an occasional pickup. I do it for me and do not expect anyone else to consider it an upgrade. good luck selling I think it is a fair price, other characteristics identify a koaloha (sound hole and head shape) so no sticker is ok.

I agree with Patrick and Bob.

Modifying a Uke for personal pleasure is great and I think we all understand why.

However, adding buttons or a pickup would not be perceived as a negative ... in fact, for many a positive like me.

But beyond those changes, even signatures from famous Uke players devalue the Uke for many players ... not all ... but additional changes do reduce a resale market.

As Patrick noted, a player wouldn't care ... and at the right price (this is very fair) it would move.

The people at KoAloha are REALLY NICE PEOPLE ... reach out to them, I am sure they will help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom