Cases for Banjo Ukes

Jerryc41

Reaction score
With so many companies making banjo ukes, I'm surprised there aren't more cases available. I don't like gig bags at all, but finding a hard case for a banjo uke is a challenge. Most that I've seen are too small, but a banjo case is way too large. I have a Gold Tone hard case for my GT DLX with resonator, and that's fine. What I want is a hard case for my Firefly, GT Little Gem, and Duke 10.

Considering the diameter of the head and the overall length, I haven't been able to find anything. Most cases list the exterior dimension. Why?! All that matters is how much room there is inside. Kala makes a banjo uke case for their instrument, but it's too small for mine.

Now I'm looking at mandolin cases, but finding one with reasonable interior dimensions isn't easy. An alternative would be to use the gig bag and reinforce it with thin wood. Easier said than done, since curves are involved.

There is no such thing as a "standard" banjo uke size, so finding the right size hardshell can be a challenge. Gold Tone makes a wide range of banjo ukes, so they are a good place to start. Even if you don't see it advertised, give them a call-- they are extremely helpful.

Elderly sells these hardshell banjo uke cases, which look beautiful. However, they are very specific in terms of size, requiring a pot size of 8" or less.

http://ww.elderly.com/banjo-ukulele-case-ebuc2.htm

When I needed a case for my Ludwig Wendell Hall, I reached out to this fellow. Perfect case, although a bit pricey once you add shipping from the UK:

http://www.andyeastwood.com/ukulele-banjo-cases-ah.htm

Kala makes this case, but they aren't very specific about the size:

https://kalabrand.com/products/banjo-ukulele-hard-case

And this one on Amazon, also vague about the size, although at least it specifies the maximum diameter is 10":

https://www.amazon.com/TheFretWire-TFWHC001-Hard-Case-Banjolele/dp/B074FHTBB3

An old-fashioned "leg-o'-mutton" case, as received with my John Grey & Son instrument might be easier to replicate than the more modern style.
IMGP2821.jpg
Alternatively Pete Seeger mentions in his banjo book that his brother Mike made a case that looked like a small coffin - depends on your taste, I suppose ;)

:music:

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a "standard" banjo uke size, so finding the right size hardshell can be a challenge. Gold Tone makes a wide range of banjo ukes, so they are a good place to start. Even if you don't see it advertised, give them a call-- they are extremely helpful.

Thanks. Yes, I have made calls and emailed. As you noted, some are for an 8" pot. I think that might fit a Firefly, but nothing larger. Others don't give interior dimensions. Why in the world not?! I think I'll take a chance on a mandolin A case and pad it as necessary. I don't want to pay $200 to protect a $150 instrument, though. I'm concerned about the plastic head getting damaged. Something pushing down on it could push the bridge right through it - maybe.

Gold Tone makes a wide range of banjo ukes, so they are a good place to start. Even if you don't see it advertised, give them a call-- they are extremely helpful.

I haven't contacted Gold Tone. I'll do that tomorrow. They have lots of banjo cases, but there is a huge difference in size. I have a banjo in a hard case, and compared to a Firefly, it looks like an 18-wheeler next to a Smart car.

EDIT: I got a reply from Gold Tone. They have a case for the Little Gem - waiting for details.

Last edited:
I got an email answer from Gold Tone. It said they have cases to fit the Little Gem, but they haven't arrived yet, so I guess it's more like they will have those cases. I called and gave him my number, and he said he'd call when they got them. The email was from Wayne Rogers, 312-264-1970. Call or email and add your name to the list. goldtonemusicgroup.com

Last edited:
Top Bottom