Outdoor Carbon Ukulele Back in Stock

Thanks, Vic! Will you be doing a comparison video between the Carbon model and the Poly model you just reviewed?

I got mine yesterday from a member here. It has low G and two strap buttons, just the way I would have ordered it. It has a great, mellow tone, and the vibrations come right into my body. When I tried a friend's carbon tenor last week, I said it feels like driving a big car - smooth. Yesterday afternoon, I received an email telling me that they are now available new. I lucked out.

Thanks, Vic! Will you be doing a comparison video between the Carbon model and the Poly model you just reviewed?

It says on the Outdoor web site that they're all made of composite polycarbonate. When I see the word carbon, I think of carbon fiber, which is considerably more expensive than polycarbonate.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
Klos makes a true carbon fiber uke for around $550 not polycarbonate like the Outdoor Ukes which are much cheaper

It says on the Outdoor web site that they're all made of composite polycarbonate. When I see the word carbon, I think of carbon fiber, which is considerably more expensive than polycarbonate.......

My understanding is that the original Outdoor Ukes were (and are) made of what is called glass-filled polymer, a process in which short fibers of glass or cellulose are added to a thermoplastic to improve the mechanical properties after injection molding. The most common one you encounter is glass-filled nylon. The first Outdoor Uke is glass filled polycarbonate, while the new one uses carbon fibers in place of the glass. The amount of the fibers is typically from 10% to 20% by weight of the material.

This is very different from fiberglass or carbon fiber materials that use a fabric of long woven fibers impregnated with resin. Most small boats today are made using fiberglass cloth with polyester resin. The Farallon uke from Blackbird uses a fabric made of linen, while the Klos ukes and guitars use a carbon fiber fabric, all of which are usually then impregnated with epoxy resin of some type. With this type of construction the fiber content can be as much as 50% of the material.

Top Bottom