PDA

View Full Version : Pistachio Wood and UBAS

sequoia
08-19-2018, 05:31 PM
I recently got this amazing piece of pistachio from not too far down the road here in California. Beautiful stuff. This is the back. The sides are even more wild. I'm having some problems though the biggest of which is a severe case of UBAS or Ukulele Building Amotivational Syndrome. UBAS can strike without warning, debilitate ukulele builders and leave them mere shells of their former selves. Timbuck, a former UBAS sufferer, can testify as to the devastating effect.

Anyway, these pieces of wood triggered UBAS because of one big thing: This stuff is like the hardest, most brittle wood I've ever dealt with and I've built a couple of ukuleles out of pistachio, but never this hard. The stuff is like fossilized. Plus, I absolutely love the sound of a pistachio uke and my previous have been killer good sounding (a real "nutty" sound :rolleyes:), but I'm not sure I really like the red and green... Anyway, this uke will have a red and green motif if it all works out.

Now I just have to get started... (Sigh).

One I built a couple years ago finished out. Never been sure whether I like the look.

Spicysteve
08-19-2018, 07:40 PM
Can’t wait to see how the new one turns out. I find the one you built a couple of years ago quite good looking.

spongeuke
08-20-2018, 05:55 AM
I actually like the reddish purple and green, I'll be looking forward to what it looks like in the finished state. I have a Pistachio piece I picked up at LMIs clearance sale a while back. It's hardness and size made me think soprano fretboard or some of bridges. My Dad had a a golf set of Pistachio drivers from the 50s so it can be quite dense.

kohanmike
08-20-2018, 07:16 AM
I love the coloring of the original photo, but the finished one for me became too much like a standard uke color with the reddish orange. I've been looking at myrtle choices because it has a very grey color scheme that I really like. Did you stain the finished one, or just put a clear finish on it?

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

sequoia
08-20-2018, 06:42 PM
Did you stain the finished one, or just put a clear finish on it?

Nope. I never stain wood... I like the natural color of wood. Just a blond shellac finish

My Dad had a a golf set of Pistachio drivers from the 50s so it can be quite dense.

You might be thinking persimmon golf clubs rather than pistachio. Persimmon was a common wood used in drivers.Now they use metal of coarse. Also dogwood. Both are dense woods.

kohanmike
08-20-2018, 08:04 PM
Just a blond shellac finish.
So that grey green turned into that deep red/orange?

I mocked up a uke using myrtle, but if a clear finish makes it dark like yours, I'm not sure I want that.

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Myrtle w flame uke raw 17.jpg
http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Myrtle leaf hole dual 800.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

spongeuke
08-21-2018, 08:14 AM
Nope. I never stain wood... I like the natural color of wood. Just a blond shellac finish

You might be thinking persimmon golf clubs rather than pistachio. Persimmon was a common wood used in drivers.Now they use metal of coarse. Also dogwood. Both are dense woods.

Yes, come to think about it it was Persimmon.

sequoia
08-21-2018, 08:15 AM
Here are some pictures of myrtle before and after finishing with "clear" shellac. Even the lightest colored shellac has a slight golden hue to it so it isn't totally colorless. However, almost any finishing substance is going to darken the wood somewhat. I actually like the darker hue after finishing. Brings out the grain and figure.

111390 111391