Hoffmann Cedar/Ebony ML Concert Ukulele

valde002

Reaction score
Excellent condition. Purchased in 3/2017. No scratches on body, bridge is excellent. Tuners are awesome. With Like New case that fits this special ML-style shape. Condition: There are some typical cleaning swirl marks from the chamois cloth that I use. There are some blebs where "eyes and beak" are on the back that do not protrude from finish, which was probably from the wood treating process (hard to photo, see last 2 photos). Modifications: I changed the original Worth strings to Kamaka low-G. Not the best choice for strings for this particular uke if you like brighter, but I do like the lower tension and easy playing thickness of Kamaka strings.

Am putting up for sale, because I do not play concerts anymore and have moved to the tenor size. Would definitely keep due to its quality and uniqueness, but I am not a professional- this is honestly too good for me at my potential playing level (it's like a lamborghini for ukes!).

Description: This is for the advanced player, as there are no fret markers, but with side markers. The sound port is awesome, you can hear your own playing project towards you- in stereo it seems. The cedar top opens up the sound, and with the ebony body there is very good resonance and sustain. It's great fun to play- easy to slide and bend notes. Very low action and easy tension, as on the most ideal of ukuleles. Not a radius fretboard though. Playing higher notes up the neck is very easy due to the cutaway shape, and the higher notes sound crisp. Easily stays in tune with the top shelf tuners.

Condition: As far as condition goes, the front is excellent; there are no strumming scratches on the cedar front, as I don't strum there are no strum marks. There are some swirl marks and incidental scuffs throughout the sides and back, but these do not pick up on the photos. The back pattern looks like a bad-ass owl face to me. There are some circular 'blebs' on the back of the body where the "eyes" and "beak" are, which seem to be part of the staining process, these have always been there. See last two photos where I tried to capture in correct angle due to lighting to show these. Have been keeping this in well humidified non-smoking home and have taken it out to play only when I want a treat. There is a sweet glue or finish smell to it that is still noticeable when taken out of the case after a while; actually pleasant, but noticeable. Please see the photos, plus I can send more if you'd like (very glossy finish makes it difficult to photograph).

This uke has never left the home. See websites below for more info. Purchased from, in 2017, and set up by the expert HMS. I am the original owner. Will ship with case and OASIS humidifier.

From the HMS website:

Hoffmann ukuleles they are made in Missouri by Jerry Hoffmann. His M-style was first introduced in 2007 as a stylistic departure from traditional shaped ukuleles. They featured a forward shifted waist and cantilevered neck with a "reverse heel" neck block. Improvements have been made along the way that include a lighter heel block, bolt-on neck, improved bracing and bridge design, and the introduction of the ML series with its larger body. The sound on this one is crisp and responsive with good projection and warm tone.

Hoffmann ML concert ukuleles feature a tenor size body combined with short-scale 15" concert scale length for near perfect string tension at standard tuning. It adds up to a big sound that rivals most standard tenor scale length instruments. It's extremely rare to find a ukulele with such varied use of rare ebony all in one instrument as this one. It features all brown, all black and uniquely figured ebony from the same source for the back, sides, fret board, bridge, head plate, purfling, binding and rosette. The top is top instrument grade western red cedar. Finish is polished lacquer and inlay is mother of pearl.

Jerry Hoffman is a master craftsman and artist. He obviously went way beyond the manual on how to build an ukulele. Each aspect of this build reflects an incredible amount of thought and development. The neck joint on this ukulele is extremely strong because of the "full heel block" that Hoffmann designed. He discusses this method at his article Ukulele Neck Joints. The result is a graceful neck unaffected by the body joint or any issues that can come up around the 'tongue" of the fingerboard where it comes onto the body. It's basically an electric neck and that has some advantages with playability all the way up it. This one has the ability to be unbolted and adjusted if that was ever needed. This ukulele is built to last many generations of joyful play.

Hoffmann ukuleles are made from materials hand processed from as close their source as possible. This gives full control over the process and insures the best sound, durability and style. The actual construction of the ukulele is done entirely by hand where attention is paid to how the materials are selected, and how they will interact together as a single unit. All Hoffmann ukuleles feature an exclusive pinned nut that allows string gauge changes without replacement or modification as required with traditional nuts.

Other noteworthy aspects include the bound side sound port, Gotoh UPT tuners, an extremely comfortable mid-sized neck, a beautiful gloss finish to protect it, and a perfect fitting custom made arched-top wooden case. This is a wonderful ukulele with an awesome sound, look, and feel. Congratulations in advance to whomever gets it!

HOFFMANN LUTHERIE CUSTOM CONCERT- CEDAR / EBONY
Scale length: 15"
Back, sides, binding, fretboard, and bridge: Figured Ebony
Top:Cedar
Neck: Honduran Mahogany
Bound Side Sound Port
Frets: 20, 15 to body
Gotoh UPT Tuners
Strings: Kamaka Low G
Custom Fit Hardshell Case

Original purchase, exact uke:
https://www.theukulelesite.com/ukul...tyle-custom-cedar-ebony-concert-hmlc1037.html

Hoffmann website:
https://hoffmannlutherie.com/instruments.html

Will ship with humidifier, well packaged. Fed ex for quick delivery.

Asking 2400 shipped.

20180808_111524.jpg

Last edited:
For some reason, this site will not let me post any more photos, stating maximum allowed photo size, even though it's a different post. Please see the Ebay and Reverb photos while I try to work on adding more somehow.

I remember drooling over this one.
What is the neck width?
Excuse me while I go wipe up my drool again and look in the couch for lots and lots of loose change.

The back has a really cool “angry owl” sort of vibe to it.

Haha. I need to do that too! the neck width at the first fret is 1.5 inches. at the 12th fret, it is just under 1 3/4 inches.

No pickup and a flat fretboard?

I don’t have a Hoffmann but I have a few Boat Paddles. He has always made high quality ukuleles and continues to outdo himself. Yours is crazy beatiful and sounds wonderful! Wish I was in the market for it.

Cheers!

I'm not sure why having a flat fretboard is unfortunate :) I have high end ukuleles with both radiused and flat fretboards, and I find it no problem adapting very quickly between the two. I have this same model in tenor size and it is one of the easiest playing ukes I have ever played. Some of the best players in the world; Jake, Kalei and one of the founders of this website have chosen instruments with flat fretboards.

Good luck finding a new home for this beautiful instrument ~

I'm not sure why having a flat fretboard is unfortunate :) I have high end ukuleles with both radiused and flat fretboards, and I find it no problem adapting very quickly between the two. I have this same model in tenor size and it is one of the easiest playing ukes I have ever played. Some of the best players in the world; Jake, Kalei and one of the founders of this website have chosen instruments with flat fretboards.

I agree 100%. I haven't had any issues with playability on my flat fretboard ukes with a proper set-up. I own both types of fretboard ukes and the difference to me is negligible at best. It's only four nylon style strings and fretting shouldn't really be an issue IMO. It sure wasn't an issue on my 5-string Boatpaddle tenor...it played easy peasy.

Definitely not unfortunate but preferred by many. I envy those who couldn’t care less. I do however because I have a dicky left wrist. But you’re right, this is a gorgeous looking instrument and I’m sure it plays and sounds great too
I have two Hoffmann crafted Ukes, a ML Tenor and a M Baritone. Both look as good as this and play wonderfully.

Last edited:
I happened to get to play this uke when it was at HMS. It was one of my favorites. Somebody gonna be very happy!

Top Bottom