A bit of inspiration, perhaps?

Sven

Reaction score
Hi friends, I see most of you are good. I’m having a bit of love / hate situation with the internetz right now so I haven’t posted much anywhere. But I read all your posts and am truly grateful that at least some forums (fora) still lives.

I have finished some ukes recently and will post pics in a while but today I wanted to share a video I found on youtube. It’s 50 minutes of classical guitar building and I highly recommend it. Some processes are scaringly crude, even brutal, but the man knows his stuff. Hand tools and a no fuss attitude. I was hoping for a hand rubbed shellac finish but believe me, the fretboard planing made up for the spray booth!

I’m stuck at an airport with nothing to do but if you can spare the time, watch it. You’ll not be sorry.

Hi Sven, I'd noticed you have been absent recently!

I found this video some time ago and I agree with you that it's great to watch. He's clearly skilled and confident but its scary to see how casually and apparently crudely he does some tasks. Ultimately he produces a guitar that seems to be well received by the purchaser.

Thanks Sven for the video. I love watching these things. Some observations:

- Yes, was brutal at times especially the heal and neck carving. A pro at work. No time for niceties.
- The use of knives, scrapers, etc. puts me to shame. Who needs fancy routers?
- I wish he would have shown more detail on putting in the end graft.
- Yes, a little disappointing with the spray booth. But this is a production facility and who has time for fancy French polishing.
- Cutting in the fretboard frets last was a surprise. Also quite crudely done by modern standards.

Here is a link about building I posted about 6 months ago which I still think is good if you have not watched it. My neighbor Goodall Guitars. A bit different and more modern.

Thanks for that Sven I enjoyed that...Interesting video ...some of the old techniques that I still use. But I noticed towards the end during the spray booth shot..that there were a load of finished guitars in the background I thought "that's odd something not right there" ...considering the time it takes to build that way he had a lot of unsold stock or he had help..judging on the size of the workshop and the expensive pro machinery, that was a factory set up for something bigger than just making a couple of guitars each month... maybe the film was professionally made in that location to promote the Music shop using a local old time luthier to display his skills.

Last edited:
Last edited:
But I noticed towards the end during the spray booth shot..that there were a load of finished guitars in the background I thought "that's odd something not right there" ...considering the time it takes to build that way he had a lot of unsold stock

Yeah I noticed that too Ken. Then it occured to me that he was outsourcing his finishing chores, something a lot of pro builders do. Including Goodall. Nothing wrong with that except I'm a glutton for punishment and like to do my own... I also liked the part where he really pays attention to that bridge patch. Interesting.

I liked how he carved the neck with it propped against the wall. And placing the almost ready guitar on the joiner to plane the fretboard, yikes. Of course the shaping of the heel, and cutting the rebates for the binding. I’m really good with hand tools but this is a video that makes me say I’m good enough to realize I couldn’t do what he does. I’ll watch your vid now Sequoia, I’m between meetings here in Singapore.

Top Bottom