NUD: Outdoor Carbon Tenor

Jerryc41

Reaction score
After hearing and playing a carbon tenor bought by a member of my group, I started reading about them. Fortunately, a member here said he had one for sale, and here it is. It has low G and two strap buttons. I love the deep, mellow sound.

At the time, Outdoor did not have any of these available, but I received an email from them a few hours after receiving this one telling me that they had some in stock.

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg

I am not sure if it is the lighting, but your Outdoor appears much darker than mine - almost black. Maybe I need to look at mine closer! Ha.

I was pretty impressed with the sound and action on the translucent blue one belonging to Choirguy who brought it along to SCIUC fest.
Surprised myself.

Isn't it actually composite polycarbonate not carbon?

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:

I just posted this in another thread about the carbon Outdoor Uke:

My understanding is that the original Outdoor Ukes were (and are) made of what is called glass-filled polymer, a process in which short fibers of glass or cellulose are added to a thermoplastic to improve the mechanical properties after injection molding. The most common one you encounter is glass-filled nylon. The first Outdoor Uke is glass filled polycarbonate, while the new one uses carbon fibers in place of the glass. The amount of the fibers is typically from 10% to 20% by weight of the material.

This is very different from fiberglass or carbon fiber materials that use a fabric of long woven fibers impregnated with resin. Most small boats today are made using fiberglass cloth with polyester resin. The Farallon uke from Blackbird uses a fabric made of linen, while the Klos ukes and guitars use a carbon fiber fabric, all of which are usually then impregnated with epoxy resin of some type. With this type of construction the fiber content can be as much as 50% of the material.

Jerry, two NUD postings within 15 minutes!!! You've got to post another updated list of all your Ukes soon...
Congrats on this nice Outdoor Tenor.

I got the Outdoor on Friday and the Pineapple on Saturday. I'm waiting for my Klos. A friend got hers yesterday, so it should be here soon. I think I'm finished buying. I hope.

I got the Outdoor on Friday and the Pineapple on Saturday. I'm waiting for my Klos. A friend got hers yesterday, so it should be here soon. I think I'm finished buying. I hope.

Nope - not done yet. Not unless you have a Farallon or a Clara to keep your Outdoor and Klos company.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

They say it's polycarbonate with carbon fiber added, whatever that means. I like the look.

Top Bottom