Interesting short video on lattice bracing

José de Londres

Reaction score
I've always liked the strong sound lattice bracing produces. This Japanese luthier principally makes cuatros. The discussion on lattice bracing on one of the recent custom build threads rekindled my interest. I think some people feel lattice bracing gives too much of a foreceful sound, but for me it's one of my favourite bracing systems.

I guess I don't understand the concept. You are gluing a lattice brace to the back of the soundboard. This would have the effect of coupling the two together and stiffening the top wood. Wouldn't that really limit the movement of the vibrations of the top? Compared to the non-lattice top that would have larger free areas to move, albeit with a slightly thicker wood on the top. It certainly changes the tone. I imagine the reflections and interaction of the sound internally is incredibly complex.

Very interesting video. Thanks for posting it José.

Not sure about the science of it, but you do raise an interesting point in that it feels counter-intuitive. Maybe a luthier can weigh in. I think the difference between the two is undeniable though, with the sound of the instrument with lattice bracing having a lot more body and more... "ooomph" I guess.

To me the difference is most notable in the upper frets. I think the lattice braced instrument carries the higher notes far better in the video above. I think with instruments like the ukulele and the cuatro with naturally higher tunings there's inevitably going to be a little bit of thinning out of the sound towards the top of the fingerboard. The lattice bracing seems to compensate for this quite well, fattening the sound out again a little.

Nice video. The bracing seemed to really come into its own in the higher notes on those guitars too. With that flexibility it also explains how it allows the soundboard to vibrate freely.

There are some classical guitarists who are not convinced by the lattice sound; they find it louder, but less expressive. For them Torres style fan bracing produces a less strident, but more lyrical tone.
John Williams is certainly a "fan" though, and one would have to respect his opinion.

Top Bottom