US Customs on imported ukes?

ukeinfused

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I keep thinking I *need* a laminated Kiwaya or Famous as a "take anywhere" uke.
(Despite great sound and playability, I couldn't get past the plastic in the Flea.)
What is people's experience with importing to the US from Japan? How much is charged?

I'd love a long neck as per Barry's recent review, but no one is offering them state-side, so you have to go through a Japanese company.

The price on this (Chinese) Kiwaya is enticing:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/113197133647

And I think this one is gorgeous:

Famous FS 7G Red Sunburst Mahogany Soprano Ukulele https://applink.reverb.com/item/9801542-famous-fs-7g-red-sunburst-mahogany-soprano-ukulele

Last edited:
I didn't have to pay anything in customs when I bought a Famous from Japan last year. I'm not sure how true this is, but I was told that if the declared value is under $2000USD they tend to not bother. I've only ever bought the one uke from Japan, but I buy a lot of books and CDs and smaller items and again, have never been charged customs fees.

I've never been hit with any US Customs fees when ukes have been sent to me via Express Post (Japan, UK, Canada). I did have some broker fees when ukes were sent via UPS.

That seems awfully cheap for a Kiwaya.

Edit: I just read Barry's review. It sounds like a great buy!

Last edited:
I've never had any issues purchasing from Japan or elsewhere. Any rosewood may result in a CITIES violation. Most Japanese dealers are aware of this, and will not ship to the states...………….however, from the description, this is not an issue with this ukulele.

Thanks to all for your replies.
Seems like I heard an anecdotal story of a uke getting stuck in customs for a while and charged further fees, so this is good news. :)

I buy from Vietnam for ukes up to $780 and never paid a customs fee, only shipping. I also buy from Japan rather inexpensive items with no added fees. i don't know how that will change with the laws the current administration is implementing.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
Sounds so easy in the States compared to Denmark.

Not only do we need to pay customs on both merchandise and shipping cost of anything with a value of more than $12 from outside EU, we need to pay a fee of the equivalent of $30 for customs handling.

Sounds easier in the States.

We have friends and relatives in Japan and send and receive packages all the time. No customs.

Thanks to all for your replies.
Seems like I heard an anecdotal story of a uke getting stuck in customs for a while and charged further fees, so this is good news. :)

I had something coming from a foreign country, and it waited in customs for a couple of days. I don't recall what it was. Tracking showed it all along the way. No big deal.

While it is possible that a ukulele from Japan might be assessed for customs fees, it is very unlikely. Most of the time things pass through without any additional duty.

I bought a KoAloha from Japan, and it arrived in a reasonable time with no fees added.

You should also consider W2C as a viable brokerage alternative for instrument imports.

If you mean as an alternative to using a broker, just doing it yourself, a course wouldn't be necessary. Just the ability to find the correct code for the item, and someone who will sell you a bond, which is probably the hardest part.

I haven’t had issues with ukuleles coming into the US. But I have a ukulele that I sent to Italy for repair and it has been stuck in customs there for almost a week. Italian Customs didn’t care when the builder tried to explain it’s a repair. :-(

Top Bottom