CGDA tuning for Tenor or Baritone Ukulele

I want to try tuning in 5ths on either my Tenor or Baritone. Are there string sets available for such tuning? Where would they be available.

Ha! Funny coincidence. This very morning I tried to change my baritone to fifths. The low C was okay and the G of course. Then I used the E string for the D (#2), and added the B string for the A. But curses! the B string is LOW B and not the required high A.

Then, after gnashing my teeth awhile, I started to think (‘bout time) and realized that I have a bunch of baritone books to use to play fingerstyle DGBE. So, I put everything back together and went for my daily walk—phooey!

Actually, I think I coulda completed the change by putting a new, regular A string on, but I just didn’t. :eek:ld:

The Aquila 31U string set provides CGDA for concert and tenor ukes. Most of my tenor ukes are strung with this set. Elderly Music of Lansing, MI always seem to have this set in stock.

Another trick involves using a low-G GCEA string set. Invert the G and C strings, detune the E to D, and tune the A normally. This gives a "reentrant C" CGDA. It really sounds pretty good, all the fifths fingering works and one stays within the acoustic design range of the uke.

The Aquila 31U string set provides CGDA for concert and tenor ukes. Most of my tenor ukes are strung with this set. Elderly Music of Lansing, MI always seem to have this set in stock.

Another trick involves using a low-G GCEA string set. Invert the G and C strings, detune the E to D, and tune the A normally. This gives a "reentrant C" CGDA. It really sounds pretty good, all the fifths fingering works and one stays within the acoustic design range of the .

Yeah, Steve, my Luna concert is tuned that way, but I don’t know if I like the high C. I’m thinkin’ it over. I sure do like 5ths tuning though. I’m even thinking of gittin’ a tenor guitar.

My Lanikai concert banjolele is tunned to 5ths with the regular set. I played it all afternoon today. :eek:ld:

Yeah, Steve, my Luna concert is tuned that way, but I don’t know if I like the high C. I’m thinkin’ it over. I sure do like 5ths tuning though. I’m even thinking of gittin’ a tenor guitar.

My Lanikai concert banjolele is tunned to 5ths with the regular set. I played it all afternoon today. :eek:ld:

It's a lot of fun with the 6-string and 8-string tenor ukes. Have the 6-string at CgGDAA and the 8-string at cCgGDDAA. It's made these two my most-often-used ukes.

The tenor guitars get a lot of use. The Blueridge is a great bargain and sounds good - has been a many-years keeper.

It's a lot of fun with the 6-string and 8-string tenor ukes. Have the 6-string at CgGDAA and the 8-string at cCgGDDAA. It's made these two my most-often-used ukes.

The tenor guitars get a lot of use. The Blueridge is a great bargain and sounds good - has been a many-years keeper.

Are you using the regular high, high C and the “normal” C on your eighter?

I wonder why the dD and aA aren’t used. Have you tried that? :eek:ld:

Top Bottom