Traveling with ukes

Scooter1552

Reaction score
With CITIES in mind what do I need to be aware of when traveling abroad with a ukulele? I own several vintage Martins. Would they be a problem?

This link may be helpful: https://pmtonline.co.uk

It looks like the CITES regulations shouldn't be a problem as long as you are with your ukes.
I didn't see anything on that site except advertisements, but my question about CITES is, does it even apply to instruments that were built before it went into affect? Is the intention to all of a sudden make millions of musical instruments already owned illegal? Just using logic, and I realize that logic often doesn't work in an illogical world, would tell me that your personal pre CITES instrument would not be at jeopardy

I didn't see anything on that site except advertisements, but my question about CITES is, does it even apply to instruments that were built before it went into affect? Is the intention to all of a sudden make millions of musical instruments already owned illegal? Just using logic, and I realize that logic often doesn't work in an illogical world, would tell me that your personal pre CITES instrument would not be at jeopardy

I guess my reply and link didn't get posted. If you are selling something with rosewood, you need lots of paperwork. If you are just traveling, and your instrument was made before the rules went into effect, you're okay. It wouldn't hurt to have a copy of your receipt, with serial number, if applicabele.

Sorry the link didn't work. According to the link, it's basically what Jerryc41 says.

The uncertainties about CITIES has made me ask for fully CITIES compliant materials in my next build. I don’t want to chance hassles with a customs inspector when I travel. I have an aversion to officialdom.

I guess my reply and link didn't get posted. If you are selling something with rosewood, you need lots of paperwork. If you are just traveling, and your instrument was made before the rules went into effect, you're okay. It wouldn't hurt to have a copy of your receipt, with serial number, if applicabele.

I own three ukulele with rosewood fretboards and I'm sure that I don't have the receipts for them. All three were bought online.

Top Bottom