cordoba mini and using regular classical strings

spookelele

Reaction score
So.. I needed new strings for my mini... and Ive always kinda.. thought the stock strings were a little... lacking.

On my tenors, I've been heavily favoring TI cf30/27/fc trebles.

So.. I was thinking.. why not just try the TI classical set that has the flat wounds i like on my tenors. The Classic N "superlona cf128" has them, and nylon trebles, so I tried those

I figured, I'll just tune them to what feels right tension wise, and was surprised to see that adgcea felt right anyway.

So.. I got to thinking, when I tell guitar friends that uke is like capo at the 5th and the top 4 strings... it kinda made sense that regular classical strings would work.

Anyone else tried just... regular classical strings?

They sound pretty darn good really.

I prefer Terz on 19" to 20" scale with the CF127 set (3 wound, 3 plain) but I guess A shouldn't be "too high" tension wise.

I just put a set of low tension 520B Savarez strings on my Islander. Tuned to A they sound good, though the trebles are a bit mellow. Only issue was the first string broke twice. I have a D'Addario string there right now but will order another Savarez or two soon. Might try the regular tension E string and see if it works better, would be the same size as the D'Addario I have on now which is working fine. Even with the mismatch it sounds so much better, the strings it came with were black nylon which made it sound like a banjo they were so twangy. I like Savarez carbon trebles on my uke so I may try them as well at some point if I can figure out the right sizes. Using classical guitar strings opens up a lot of variety.

John

Top Bottom