Kala CONCERT TRAVEL Spalted Maple, Spruce top with Cutaway FS

Gypsyuke

Reaction score
Kala KA-SSTU-SMC-C travel Concert with spalted Maple body and SOLID spruce top with Cutaway: SUPERB Condition!
This thinline uke produces a full, rich and surprisingly loud sound for its compact size. Strung with new strings (incl. low G). I’m just not playing it because a baritone is my primary go-to-uke.
It’s in perfect condition except for a very small surface nick (on the binding, see last photo). It’s so small that it’s hard to fine!
Comes with the Kala padded gig bay that has a small pocket inside.

$239 this week only (1st week of Sept.) + $17 Priority Mail shipping

Note: email me your request for photos (12), until I learn how to upload them.

Last edited:
Spalted maple is pretty. It is also usually made of laminate. I don't think the Kala travel ukuleles are made of solid wood bodies. That's what adds to their travel appeal. They are not susceptible as much to weather conditions. They are great little cannons. Buyer and seller should verify if indeed the body is solid wood. Just saying. I have a friend who has a spalted maple Spruce top regular Kala concert and it's really sweet.

Yes- I figured that it was laminate and looked it up. It is. I thought I posted that on here, but it doesn’t show up.
Thanks for responding. A lot of people get confused by the descriptions online.

I stand corrected: Although the spruce top is solid, apparently the maple body is not.
Thanks thanks for your feedback!

I’ve had an eye on this cool looking piece, especially the combo of slim body and arched back. Have you found the stock action light, or in need of additional setup? And, do you think solid mahogany as an alternative tone wood might result in equally loud but warmer resonance?

Does anyone know if KALA still make these? Looking for the tenor version. Found on in Germany, but it is in Germany...and it is a concert....lol not that desperate yet.
KA-SSTU-SMC-T

Thanks

Does anyone know if KALA still make these? Looking for the tenor version. Found on in Germany, but it is in Germany...and it is a concert....lol not that desperate yet.KA-SSTU-SMC-T Thanks
I looked for one a couple months ago when I decided to only play thinline tenor cutaway ukes, but found that Kala does not make them anymore. Lanikai makes two thinlines for about $360 with pickup/preamp that's very similar to the Kala, but they don't project quite as well as the Kala; a Bocoté (butterfly wood), and flame maple.

I got lucky and did find the last Chinese Hricane spruce top/walnut body. It's the exact same as the Kala with a different label, that's what Chinese manufacturers do. I saw the one in Germany, but price is prohibitive, couldn't find any other used. I also had one custom made by my guy in Vietnam, Bruce Wei, though it also doesn't project quite as well as the Kala or Hricane.

Ukulele Collection.jpg

I looked for one a couple months ago when I decided to only play thinline tenor cutaway ukes, but found that Kala does not make them anymore. Lanikai makes two thinlines for about $360 with pickup/preamp that's very similar to the Kala, but they don't project quite as well as the Kala; a Bocoté (butterfly wood), and flame maple.

I got lucky and did find the last Chinese Hricane spruce top/walnut body. It's the exact same as the Kala with a different label, that's what Chinese manufacturers do. I saw the one in Germany, but price is prohibitive, couldn't find any other used. I also had one custom made by my guy in Vietnam, Bruce Wei, though it also doesn't project quite as well as the Kala or Hricane.

View attachment 153393
Thank you very much for your info! Guess I will look a bit deeper at some of the others out there.

Does anyone know if KALA still make these? Looking for the tenor version. Found on in Germany, but it is in Germany...and it is a concert....lol not that desperate yet.
KA-SSTU-SMC-T

Thanks
I highly recommend that you create a new MarketPlace Post using the "Wanted" tag for that particular model. Even though you may be looking for something new, there may be somebody out there who has one or recently purchased one that might help you out.

[Edit: It is with slight embarrassment that I now recognize that this old original post "is" in the Marketplace. I've made a change in my original wording to get to a better suggestion !! ]

Last edited:
Top Bottom