Hurricane Lane

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
My thoughts are with all those who are in the path of Hurricane Lane. I hope that everyone remains safe.

I'm geography-challenged. Are places like HMS, Kamaka, Kanile'a, and other businesses that are ukulele related in the path of the storm?

Are any of the UU members/posters in that area?

Keep safe, where ever you are!

Hi Joyful Uke, surprised that you didn't get any responses before mine. Thanks for your thoughts! Maybe it helped cuz Hurricane Lane went from being a powerful hurricane to a tropical storm within a few hours. We're all very relieved!

Thanks for the update, ampeep.

I was thinking that maybe everyone not in the area has my lack of geography knowledge, & those in the area were too busy preparing for the storm.

Better a tropical storm than a hurricane, but still cause for concern. I hope that everyone stays safe.

Our Hawaiian ukulele brothers & sisters may be busy with damage control & clean-up today. Hopefully not much damage control to do, and just some clean-up. Prayers & ukulele love to them all.

This has been a tough summer for natural disasters .....volcanoes & storms in Hawaii, fires & smoke here in the Western US. We lost a Utah fire battalion chief in one of the California fires. Prayers for all our public service, fire, and disaster workers ......stay safe.

Hi Joyful Uke, sorry that I didn't answer your geography question. I knew that Kamaka & Koaloha were in the Kakaako area of Honolulu. Kanile'a is in Kaneohe on the windward side & HMS is in Haleiwa on the north shore of Oahu.

Was surprised about the lack of surf because I had to work until the evening the day hurricane Iwa (cat 1) passed by in 1982. Looked out & saw large waves breaking in the channel entrance to Honolulu harbor.

I'm geography-challenged. Are places like HMS, Kamaka, Kanile'a, and other businesses that are ukulele related in the path of the storm?

Are any of the UU members/posters in that area?

Hawaii is in the path of the storm (or it was). Fortunately, it would have turned out much worse that it did. I hope the people of Hawaii recover from the rain and flooding.

Hi Joyful Uke, sorry that I didn't answer your geography question. I knew that Kamaka & Koaloha were in the Kakaako area of Honolulu. Kanile'a is in Kaneohe on the windward side & HMS is in Haleiwa on the north shore of Oahu.

Thanks, that gives me a better feel for where things are. Glad that the storm wasn't as bad as first forecast.

From a Waikiki perspective, not a Big Island one:

Hardly a drop. It wasn’t so bad. Kind of like the North Korean Nuclear Missile Alert, with much less certainty of imminent death, spread over four days of moving things around in the apartment, listening to weather report after weather report, filling everything with water, moving sandbags, getting emergency food ready, learning how to shut off the elevator system and hook up a gas generator to the water system, and readying ourselves to live in the stairwells without electricity, and making sure our neighbors and friends were ready. Definitely preferable to having 30 inches of rain, an over-flowing Ala Wai Canal, very strong ocean storm surge, full moon and king tide flood Waikiki. Not so bad. Now we can put things back together and hope the rest of hurricane season isn’t so entertaining. And once again, hardly a drop in Waikiki. Slightly overcast now. Over 30,000 people live in Waikiki, as residents, not tourists.

Last edited:
From a Waikiki perspective, not a Big Island one:

Hardly a drop. It wasn’t so bad. Kind of like the North Korean Nuclear Missile Alert, with much less certainty of imminent death

May the storms and the nuclear missile alerts continue to be uneventful for you.
Glad that all is well.

It's funny, but "Hurricane Lane" reminds me of "Tornado Alley."

"Whatever you do, don't buy a house in Hurricane Lane or Tornado Alley." :D

Top Bottom