PDA

View Full Version : Blond Uke Build Starts today

hollisdwyer
08-26-2018, 05:07 PM
Received these photos from Allen McFarlan (Barron River) today (my Birthday).

slackkey007
08-26-2018, 06:24 PM
G'day Hollis,

CONGRATS on your B.U.B. Day & YOUR BIRTHDAY!!! :cheers:

This is TERRIFIC news and I'm so happy to hear that you decided to commission a custom uke built for you by none other than, Allen, your local Australian luthier extraordinaire and fellow UU member!!! Great choice!!! And what a wonderful birthday present at that!!!

I've been admiring his ukes for quite sometime now and will probably acquire one a little down the road after I make my move back to the mainland from Hawaii in the next few months. Would you be kind enough to elaborate on the specs or the particulars of your B.U.B.?

Please keep posting the progress pics on your B.U.B. so that all of us here on the UU can check in on your uke during the build process!!! Take care my friend, best wishes, and continued good health!!!

Aloha,

Kimo:shaka:

Ukulele Eddie
08-26-2018, 08:32 PM
Happy birthday, Hollis! Keep us posted on your build!

hollisdwyer
08-26-2018, 09:02 PM
Happy birthday, Hollis! Keep us posted on your build!

Thanks Eddie!

G'day Hollis,

CONGRATS on your B.U.B. Day & YOUR BIRTHDAY!!! :cheers:

This is TERRIFIC news and I'm so happy to hear that you decided to commission a custom uke built for you by none other than, Allen, your local Australian luthier extraordinaire and fellow UU member!!! Great choice!!! And what a wonderful birthday present at that!!!

I've been admiring his ukes for quite sometime now and will probably acquire one a little down the road after I make my move back to the mainland from Hawaii in the next few months. Would you be kind enough to elaborate on the specs or the particulars of your B.U.B.?

Please keep posting the progress pics on your B.U.B. so that all of us here on the UU can check in on your uke during the build process!!! Take care my friend, best wishes, and continued good health!!!

Aloha,

Kimo:shaka:

Thanks Kimo! The specs are:
Body & Sides: Sugar Box Maple
Top: Yellow Cedar
Blackwood bindings
Side sound port
MiSi pickup
Rubner tuners
Rosette: wood, MOP and reconstituted stone
Fretboard marker: none
Side markers: as larger as possible
Luthiers choice for other bits

This was my first Barron River Uke:

You canít go wrong with a Barron River!

DownUpDave
08-26-2018, 11:36 PM
Happy Birthday and congratulations on an excellent choice. Nothing more exciting then following the process of your ukulele being built. Are you going with a round sound hole or the oval Allen seems to be doing a lot of lately. Slothead???? Tenor????

Rakelele
08-26-2018, 11:42 PM
Congratulations to your birthday and your decision! I saw the pictures on Barron River's Instagram feed and wondered if it might be yours. My wife has a blonde tenor ukulele (Maple/Spruce) made by Beau Hannam and it's probably our favorite both for looks and sound. As with Beau's, I think the light color will match Allen's design perfectly.

hollisdwyer
08-27-2018, 01:03 AM
Happy Birthday and congratulations on an excellent choice. Nothing more exciting then following the process of your ukulele being built. Are you going with a round sound hole or the oval Allen seems to be doing a lot of lately. Slothead???? Tenor????

Thanks Dave, it’s going to be a tenor with the elliptical sound hole and his new very Art Deco headstock.

hollisdwyer
08-28-2018, 07:00 AM
Cutting out the back today.

hollisdwyer
08-28-2018, 08:20 PM
Yellow Cedar soundboard with elliptical rosette detail ( Australian Blackwood, MOP and reconstituted stone)

Nickie
08-29-2018, 04:48 PM
Happy Birthday, I hope you let us see it when it's all done, polished and strung up!

hollisdwyer
08-29-2018, 05:59 PM
Happy Birthday, I hope you let us see it when it's all done, polished and strung up!

Hi Nickie, thanks for the birthday wishes. I will post photos as they appear on Allen’s FB page. When he is finished he will post an album. He just posted this photo. He is really moving at a rate of knots on this build.

DownUpDave
08-30-2018, 05:54 AM
Wow Hollis Allen is really got the pedal to the metal on the progress of your ukulele. I love seeing the inside of an instrument, the bracing, kerfing and trim tell a big story. Looking good buddy.

hollisdwyer
08-30-2018, 06:05 AM
Wow Hollis Allen is really got the pedal to the metal on the progress of your ukulele. I love seeing the inside of an instrument, the bracing, kerfing and trim tell a big story. Looking good buddy.

When I placed my order last Friday Allen told me that he was going to start building a group of instruments in a few days. I’ve appreciated it that he has posted a new photo every day since Monday. I can’t wait to see the wood under the high gloss finish.

hollisdwyer
09-01-2018, 04:01 AM
The body was closed up today.

111609 111610

hollisdwyer
09-04-2018, 10:51 PM
Box completed with bindings and end graft installed.

DownUpDave
09-04-2018, 11:17 PM
Amazing progress, the binding and tail graft look great as does the trim around the sound hole. What wood did he use for the bindings and trim.

hollisdwyer
09-05-2018, 01:32 AM
Amazing progress, the binding and tail graft look great as does the trim around the sound hole. What wood did he use for the bindings and trim.

Aussie Blackwood for all. Neck and fretboard next.

hollisdwyer
09-06-2018, 09:33 PM
Neck, ringed gidgee fretboard and head plate today:
Mine is in the middle.

Kenn2018
09-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Wow! A really nice build. That maple back is going to look great! I really like the dark wood details inside. Matches the binding? (A joke about the carpet matching the drapes escapes me right now.) Some beautiful woods you have selected.

Can't wait to see the Art Deco headstock.

hollisdwyer
09-08-2018, 11:41 PM
Congratulations to your birthday and your decision! I saw the pictures on Barron River's Instagram feed and wondered if it might be yours. My wife has a blonde tenor ukulele (Maple/Spruce) made by Beau Hannam and it's probably our favorite both for looks and sound. As with Beau's, I think the light color will match Allen's design perfectly.

Thanks Rainer. I think I missed your comment when you first posted it. Re the blonde Beau, that is gorgeous. I remember seeing it when I was on Beau’s wait list and was closely watching his Facebook posts.

All of Allen’s work is so clean and well presented I know it will beautiful and sound and play great. My Barron River 8 plays fantastically which is no mean feat for a 8 string. All my 8 string playing friends always want to play mine and one has been after me to sell it him for a year now.

hollisdwyer
09-08-2018, 11:46 PM
Wow! A really nice build. That maple back is going to look great! I really like the dark wood details inside. Matches the binding? (A joke about the carpet matching the drapes escapes me right now.) Some beautiful woods you have selected.

Can't wait to see the Art Deco headstock.

Thanks Kenn. Although I have always liked Allen’s original headstock design I think his new one is a winner also. I’ve come to appreciate a virgin headstock (one without the makers name) as it really says ‘bespoke’ to me.

hollisdwyer
09-10-2018, 09:42 PM
Tenor head stocks. Mine is the one on the left with the blue inlay.

DownUpDave
09-11-2018, 02:20 AM
Tenor head stocks. Mine is the one on the left with the blue inlay.

I really like Allen's new headstock design. As you had said a headstock witnout a logo is pure class. The blue diamond is a wonderful touch as well.

Kenn2018
09-11-2018, 11:38 AM
That is a terrific design. The blue inlay is elegant and simple. And quite striking. Great choice.

I confess, I do like to see a brand identifier on the headstock of a ukulele. It makes it easy to determine what instrument is used when you listen to a clip or see a performer live. Even in the uke club, it's nice to know what others are playing. Especially if the instrument sounds especially nice. So I'm kind of torn about it. The graphic designer in me appreciates the stylishness of a simple design like yours Hollis. The player in me wants to know what the brand is when I hear an instrument played.

hollisdwyer
09-11-2018, 02:11 PM
That is a terrific design. The blue inlay is elegant and simple. And quite striking. Great choice.

I confess, I do like to see a brand identifier on the headstock of a ukulele. It makes it easy to determine what instrument is used when you listen to a clip or see a performer live. Even in the uke club, it's nice to know what others are playing. Especially if the instrument sounds especially nice. So I'm kind of torn about it. The graphic designer in me appreciates the stylishness of a simple design like yours Hollis. The player in me wants to know what the brand is when I hear an instrument played.

This will be the second commission where I have no makers mark on the headstock. Both due however have labels, or in Allen’s case, a laser engraved makers ID. Also it’s a conversation starter.

hollisdwyer
09-12-2018, 12:19 AM
Neck alignment and set today.

Kenn2018
09-12-2018, 09:11 AM
This will be the second commission where I have no makers mark on the headstock. Both due however have labels, or in Allen’s case, a laser engraved makers ID. Also it’s a conversation starter.

The art deco design of the headstock will itself become an identifier for your brand. If it's used consistently. By that I don't mean the color or shape of the inset, but the overall shape and "look" of it. For instance, the "pineapple" or "crown" shape of headstock on a KoAloha instantly tells you that it is one of their instruments. You don't even have to see their logo or look at the label.

After functionality, the reasoning behind builders having a uniquely shaped headstock and a prominent name or identifier on it was to tell people who built the instrument.
It's a mark of pride in making a fine instrument. An artisan signing his work.
But it's also a marketing tool. So that a listener/viewer of a performance can easily see who made it. If they like what they see and hear, they will know how to find out where to get one like it. For instance, if they see a video on YouTube, and really like the sound of the instrument being played, they can search out more samples or find out how to get one.
It also gets your brand out to the public. The more it's seen, the more it is remembered. (Usually take 5 or more exposures to a logo before it begins to register.)

Just thought you'd enjoy a little info about a couple of the thoughts behind the design aspects of branding. And I didn't mean to hijack your thread. So that's the last I will say about marketing.

—And I agree it is a conversation starter. It's gorgeous and quite unique.

hollisdwyer
09-12-2018, 01:57 PM
The art deco design of the headstock will itself become an identifier for your brand. If it's used consistently. By that I don't mean the color or shape of the inset, but the overall shape and "look" of it. For instance, the "pineapple" or "crown" shape of headstock on a KoAloha instantly tells you that it is one of their instruments. You don't even have to see their logo or look at the label.

After functionality, the reasoning behind builders having a uniquely shaped headstock and a prominent name or identifier on it was to tell people who built the instrument.
It's a mark of pride in making a fine instrument. An artisan signing his work.
But it's also a marketing tool. So that a listener/viewer of a performance can easily see who made it. If they like what they see and hear, they will know how to find out where to get one like it. For instance, if they see a video on YouTube, and really like the sound of the instrument being played, they can search out more samples or find out how to get one.
It also gets your brand out to the public. The more it's seen, the more it is remembered. (Usually take 5 or more exposures to a logo before it begins to register.)

Just thought you'd enjoy a little info about a couple of the thoughts behind the design aspects of branding. And I didn't mean to hijack your thread. So that's the last I will say about marketing.

—And I agree it is a conversation starter. It's gorgeous and quite unique.

See, I told you it’s a conversation starter. You know your stuff re marketing. I know you do because I lectured in that subject in the local Art, Design and Media College. I started media studies back in 1973 but also had experience in advertising agencies when I lived n NYC.

hollisdwyer
09-14-2018, 12:55 AM
Some new photos today. Considering that Allen only started less than 2 weeks ago, what progress!

DownUpDave
09-14-2018, 01:49 PM
Some new photos today. Considering that Allen only started less than 2 weeks ago, what progress!

Oh that is pretty looking, love the trim work. Unbelievable speed he is getting that done for you, that's excellent

hollisdwyer
09-14-2018, 06:43 PM
Oh that is pretty looking, love the trim work. Unbelievable speed he is getting that done for you, that's excellent

Waiting for the finish to dry will slow it down.

hollisdwyer
09-18-2018, 07:07 AM
Neck carved yesterday. Mine is the bottom one.

hollisdwyer
09-23-2018, 06:46 PM
Final pass of 3000 grit before going to the buffer.

fretie
09-24-2018, 04:29 AM
I’m really enjoying watching this build, thanks for posting so many pix!

hollisdwyer
09-24-2018, 05:55 AM
I’m really enjoying watching this build, thanks for posting so many pix!

I really enjoy watching other UUers builds too. This one could be shipping out to me in about a fortnight.

hollisdwyer
09-26-2018, 09:01 PM
Bridge glued on today.

DownUpDave
09-28-2018, 11:58 PM
I love the way Alan plugs the bridge into a computer to program the sound perfectly.

I think that is a vaccum clamp Bill.............you just having some fun with us. Maybe I am wrong, happened before.

hollisdwyer
09-29-2018, 05:15 AM
I think that is a vaccum clamp Bill.............you just having some fun with us. Maybe I am wrong, happened before.

It is a vacuum clamp. I asked Allen about that. He sure has some fancy building methods.

Kenn2018
09-29-2018, 11:16 AM
Good lookin' fraternal twins.

hollisdwyer
10-09-2018, 12:01 AM
Stringing up and pickup installed today. Full photo set soon.