ONG I’m Out Of Control -Pulled Trigger on Hoffman Concert

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
OMG I’m Out Of Control -Pulled Trigger on Hoffman Concert

I’m definitely a sucker for a beautiful ukulele. I just sent a confirmation deposit to valde002 who was selling that beautiful ebony Hoffmann concert in the marketplace. Nice guy BTW. It helped make up my mind when I saw that Eddie said he played it at HMS and thought well of it.
If you don’t remember what it looks like:

982FE15C-5BC9-472F-9995-3319BB3C0C55.jpg

E0FCFA76-F259-417A-9ED7-16F39B5F7FF8.jpg

And here is the original HMS sale page with more photos and demo video:
https://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulele-market/hoffmann-ml-style-custom-cedar-ebony-concert-hmlc1037.html

Last edited:
If the neck hadn't been 1 1/2", I would have been fighting you for it. I'm still drooling thinking about it. :)

Congratulations on what I'm sure is going to be a fantastic ukulele. Enjoy it in good health.

If the neck hadn't been 1 1/2", I would have been fighting you for it. I'm still drooling thinking about it. :)

Congratulations on what I'm sure is going to be a fantastic ukulele. Enjoy it in good health.

Thanks. Re the neck, that’s the way I like it. In fact I’ve asked for a 40mm nut width on my new Barron River Tenor. That’s larger that 1.5” for you North Americans who don’t speak metric.

Thanks. Re the neck, that’s the way I like it. In fact I’ve asked for a 40mm nut width on my new Barron River Tenor. That’s larger that 1.5” for you North Americans who don’t speak metric.

I really, really wanted that one, so I'm glad that it's going to a great home.

I really, really wanted that one, so I'm glad that it's going to a great home.

Nice of you to say, thanks! This will my 3rd Hoffman. Jerry’s M & ML’s are just fabulous instruments. I’ve been very fortunate to have such a collection of fine instruments but I think I may have to move one or two on. But what to choose? Probably the Collings as it is the only non-bespoke instrument in my collection.

HOLLISSSSSS!!!! Get down outta that ukulele tree, you are picking all the best ones. An early congratulations is in order.......yes you are out of control. Yes you deserve it, enjoy it my friend enjoy it.

We need to find out what was in the birthday cake.

Bill, Jen must have used anti-inhibition flour.

To explain this seemingly non sequitur comment, Bill and I play at the same group every Saturday at a Local farmers market. It is group tradition to present any one who has a birthday that week with a home made cake. This past Saturday was my turn to receive the cake. Here’s a photo from our gig:

6806ACAA-D869-4739-9E18-47CC08CD81C1.jpg

The wonderful lady who made, and is presenting me the cake, also wrote me a poem(it references my nom du plum Facebook moniker).
Happy birthday Enoch,
if that is your real name!
I know this man called Hollis
and you look the bleedin same!

He's cool too and he plays a uke,
It's a little uncanny, perhaps just a fluke?
You're both good to hug and for hanging around,
With those pedals and amps you pump out a great sound!

So here's cheers to you both,
And the next five or ten years,
There'll be drinking and singing,
As we all change down gears!

Last edited:
The "angry owl" is one of the coolest backs I've seen. Play it 'til it turns happy! :cool:

The HMS sound sample by Corey highlights an incredible uke! Congratulations.

You're not out of control- you're in control!
Right on!
The "angry owl" is one of the coolest backs I've seen. Play it 'til it turns happy! :cool:
You bet I will!
The HMS sound sample by Corey highlights an incredible uke! Congratulations.

That was the thing that sold me and the recommendation of Ukulele Eddies, who also played it when it was at HMS. I don’t favour flat fretboards because of a dicky left wrist but for this One I’ll make an exception.

Great looking Uke, hope you really enjoy it. I know what you mean about being out of control. I am in the process of having a Sailor concert solid cherry custom build.

I'm sure that you will treasure that ukulele. Back in the Boat Paddle days Jerry and his lovely wife sponsored the Mighty Mo ukulele festival in Missouri. It was my first ukulele festival. It was Friday and Saturday, but those who came in a day early got to attend an open house at Jerry's shop. I went the day early. I was standing there among those beautifully hand crafted ukuleles, with my $65 Makla concert in hand. I had been playing the ukulele for three months. The headliner for the festival was a fellow named Brook Adams. He came up to me and told me that some of them were going into a back room to "get down and jam." I told him that I had only played the ukulele for three montths, but that I would love to come and listen. He said to me, "there ain't going to be any listeners, just players, you get lost, just mute those strings and strum like hell, and if I see you I'll call out the chord. That right there, in the back room of Boat Paddle Ukulele was the most defining moment in my ukulele journey and I will never forget it.

I'm sure that you will treasure that ukulele. Back in the Boat Paddle days Jerry and his lovely wife sponsored the Mighty Mo ukulele festival in Missouri. It was my first ukulele festival. It was Friday and Saturday, but those who came in a day early got to attend an open house at Jerry's shop. I went the day early. I was standing there among those beautifully hand crafted ukuleles, with my $65 Makla concert in hand. I had been playing the ukulele for three months. The headliner for the festival was a fellow named Brook Adams. He came up to me and told me that some of them were going into a back room to "get down and jam." I told him that I had only played the ukulele for three montths, but that I would love to come and listen. He said to me, "there ain't going to be any listeners, just players, you get lost, just mute those strings and strum like hell, and if I see you I'll call out the chord. That right there, in the back room of Boat Paddle Ukulele was the most defining moment in my ukulele journey and I will never forget it.

That's a cool story, it paints quite a picture!

Thanks for sharing that story. It is particularly indicative of the ukulele community IMO. My Uke story is finding the group, the tribe, that I clicked with in so many ways.

Top Bottom