New Ono Ebony Tenor - 18" Scale

saltytri

Reaction score
I just learned that it's not easy to photograph shiny ebony. This back and sides set is West African ebony and has some subtle grey streaks that are hard to capture. The top is reclaimed redwood, the radiused fretboard is Brazilian kingwood and the body and fretboard bindings are ebony. It's strung with Oasis 8101 (the low G set), which seems to work well in C and also tuned down a step. I've been playing in both tunings and haven't decided which one I like best. I wouldn't select a wound string just for its color but in this case the gold strings nicely complement the gold Evo frets and gold Gotoh UPT tuners.

43610152794_47c208c35f_c.jpg

43421390695_1da1de397e_c.jpg

42519212590_68eb6aa0e2_c.jpg

42519211200_7dc70f6202_c.jpg

I just learned that it's not easy to photograph shiny ebony. This back and sides set is West African ebony and has some subtle grey streaks that are hard to capture. The top is reclaimed redwood, the radiused fretboard is Brazilian kingwood and the body and fretboard bindings are ebony. It's strung with Oasis 8101 (the low G set), which seems to work well in C and also tuned down a step. I've been playing in both tunings and haven't decided which one I like best. I wouldn't select a wound string just for its color but in this case the gold strings nicely complement the gold Evo frets and gold Gotoh UPT tuners.

43610152794_47c208c35f_c.jpg

43421390695_1da1de397e_c.jpg

42519212590_68eb6aa0e2_c.jpg

42519211200_7dc70f6202_c.jpg

Congratulations! The aesthetics on this are really nice! The redwood top really pops!

Beautiful uku for sure! Re photographing it, do you use a polarising filter?

You're a bad man, David. Inflicting so many of us helpless souls with undeniable UAS. My finger is getting all twitchy. ;-)

I have been playing my Wahoo torrefied spruce/figured sapele quite a bit lately. It's quite a magnificent instrument, with top-notch playability. I'm confident whomever acquires this will be equally fond of it.

Yeah, Eddie, I'm seriously bad. You, on the other hand, are most kind! :)

Wow! Beautiful. Fabulous work David. I honestly think this is my favorite of all. Subtle, rich looks.
18 inch scale with a low G has to just sound glorious.

Thanks, Steve. I made my first 18" tenor before the mini trend to 19" picked up much steam. The 18" scale is a nice tonal fit to a tenor body so I've stuck with it and have made more 18 inchers than 17 inchers in the last little while. That's not to say that the 19 inchers aren't also a good approach and I'd certainly make one if asked.

Gorgeous instrument! I hope to have one made by you someday . . . a guy’s gotta dream, right?!

Thanks! I'm ready any time to make another instrument out of Bolivian rosewood. ;)

Looks wonderful Dave, truely great. The purfing really adds a touch of class. To be honest I always missed that on your past instruments. I am so glad you are doing that now.

Looks wonderful Dave, truely great. The purfing really adds a touch of class. To be honest I always missed that on your past instruments. I am so glad you are doing that now.

I don't mind being pushed along a little from time to time! :)

I wonder what it would take for me to bring some back with me next return trip to the US? :D

No sweat. You just have to get your priorities straight. I once lugged home a billet of European spruce from Croatia in my carry-on. So what if I had to leave my socks behind? They were dirty.

Top Bottom