Solid Spruce top/cherry vs Solid cherry concert uke??

CYN

Reaction score
Since I am newer to this I was wondering about what you think the difference in sound is between a solid cherry uke with a spruce top vs a all solid cherry. I have checked out a lot of You tube videos and am leaning toward an all solid cherry concert. It sounds like it is clear but with a lot of warmth and some deeper bottom end. Am, I right? I will be getting something made custom and I have never had cherry before. I have a nice Koa which I really love and I also love cedar.

I don't know anything about cherry, but my spruce is loud and a bit brusque. I like that, but it is not deep and warm, if that is what you want. At least not my idea of deep and warm. I find terms like deep and warm to be subjective.

If you want to share who is building it for you that is fine if not that is fine too. Maybe someone here has got a cherry concert from that builder and can chime in. Ask the builder if he has much experience with cherry, how many has he built, how many in concert size and what is the typical tone he gets from them. Cherry is usually in the mid tone range around koa, walnut, mahogany.

Last edited:
Good idea, it would be built by Sailor/Loprinz

I have a LoPrinzi (all) cherry tenor and think it's great. It compares well with the spruce-tops I own in terms of volume, brightness, clarity, sustain and ring, while having a warmer cast to the tone. It has exactly the sound I was after.

I agree, a cherry LoPrinzi concert model is one of the sweetest sounding ukes I've ever heard.

Top Bottom