KALA KA-B vs SMHB - Opinions please?

bari_Uke

Reaction score
Hello guys! A new user is in need for your knowledge.

I own a Baton Rouge V2-B Baritone.
Its sound is not bad at all (it costs like 90 euro) but i get a terrible buzzing when pressing higher on the frets plus the sustain is inadequate.
Anyway. In any case i would like to upgrade.
My first choice that fits my budget is a Kala All Solid Mahogany.
However,I really don't know if the price difference from the Laminate version is justified.

Unfortunately,there are no shops in my country that sell KALA,so that i can try those ukes myself.

So,can anyone that has played both Ukes share their opinion?
Is the sound difference noticable?it's extremely difficult to judge from audio clips.

Thanks in advance!

After playing tenors for about 3 years, I bought the SMHB and have really enjoyed it. I think you seem to get more bang for your buck in Baritones, not sure why. I think you will enjoy the upgrade in quality of the all solid model. I did have mine set up by a luthier who really likes Baritone and it made a great difference. Set-ups are important for any uke you buy, in my opinion.

I bought the SMHB in May. It's definitely worth the price difference over the KA-B. The tone is much richer and it's a great looking instrument (IMHO).

Thank you very much for your replies.
My dream instrument is the KALA Acacia Solid,however it's beyond my budget.

I actually have a Kala cedar top bari which has a great sound, (also a Lani spruce top) - might be worthwhile to take a look at a solid top.

(I do have solid mahogany, & they sound really good, but not a bari, & also have a couple of solid acacia, (my best ukes), but again not bari's.)

I actually have a Kala cedar top bari which has a great sound, (also a Lani spruce top) - might be worthwhile to take a look at a solid top.

(I do have solid mahogany, & they sound really good, but not a bari, & also have a couple of solid acacia, (my best ukes), but again not bari's.)

Thank you! It's just that i prefer a darker sound.I've heard clips of the Cedar top and while it sounds nice,it's more bright than i'd like to.

Top Bottom