high g baritone strings

bunnyf

Reaction score
I thought I’d give gcea tuning on one of my baris a try. I got a pack of Aquila Lava high g for bari sets but was uncertain as to what octave they get tuned to. So, I thought I’d check in with more knowledgeable folks.

I'm not familiar with those in particular, but you should be able to tell by the relative thickness of the strings. I would expect these to be thinner than normal to get normal g4 C4 E4 A4 tuning. To get an octave lower, the C string would be really thick, especially if it is unwound.

thanks jim. i just started tuning up and g3 was super floppy, so i kept goingto g4. Finished up all the others and have to say that i dont like them at all. High tension and tinny sounding. off they come. back to dgbe

If you haven't already removed them, you could try to back off 2 or 3 notches and see what you think. Bb sounds really good on tenor, A would probably sound good on baritone.

Jim, thats a possibility. I play alot with others tho, so odd tuning would be a bit difficult. I have another bari, so it could be a stay at home uke. I think tho that even if I decreased the tension, I still am not loving the tinny sound, but maybe lowering it a step or two will help. I’ll play with it a bit but I think its not a keeper. Thanks tho for the thought

Last edited:
Top Bottom