NUD: SpongeBob Pipeapple

Jo3x

Reaction score
Sometime ago, I felled in love with this SpongeBob uke after I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vx3jJ--UnA

I can only find a dealer in eBay Australia that sells it. So I bought this SpongeBob Pineapple as a gift to my son. It took about 12 days to arrive at US. Well, I have to say, despite I really love the paintings, I'm a little disappointed. It is said it's "Brand New", however, the frets are quite rusty, not to mention some paint already came off, and the intonation issues.

I planned to have it setup at local music store and re-string it with my Kala Elite Strings, even though it's a cheap uke. Now after spending about one hour with it, I feel I can save these bucks. Someone may say it is the player, not the instrument that makes great music, but I do have doubt I need to be as good as Jake to make some music out of it.

Anyway, it's still a really great toy for my son and quite a decoration.

IMG_2566.jpgIMG_2569.jpg

That's cute. I always figure that with a uke like that, it's the appearance more than the sound that matters. I've seen lots of painted ukes for sale here and there. I don't mean custom jobs, but mass produced. There is a line of fish ukuleles, for example.

Sometime ago, I felled in love with this SpongeBob uke after I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vx3jJ--UnA

I can only find a dealer in eBay Australia that sells it. So I bought this SpongeBob Pineapple as a gift to my son. It took about 12 days to arrive at US. Well, I have to say, despite I really love the paintings, I'm a little disappointed. It is said it's "Brand New", however, the frets are quite rusty, not to mention some paint already came off, and the intonation issues.

I planned to have it setup at local music store and re-string it with my Kala Elite Strings, even though it's a cheap uke. Now after spending about one hour with it, I feel I can save these bucks. Someone may say it is the player, not the instrument that makes great music, but I do have doubt I need to be as good as Jake to make some music out of it.

Anyway, it's still a really great toy for my son and quite a decoration.

View attachment 111637View attachment 111638

They are quite attractive but I guess that the Uke cost the best part of $50 delivered from Australia, Ouch! However your child probably loves the paint job and the joy that your son gets from that is impossible to value.

Perhaps you’ve done some work already but if not then this video (Sponge Bob Uke set-up) and the follow on one to it will likely be of help to you. At the end of the second video Bob sounded OK - vastly improved and potentially usable.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbp7dApxAuE

The video is in German but there are English sub-tittles. The tools used are quite crude but they were effective.
I suspect that the frets are Brass and will polish up bright again, shield the painted fretboard (masking tape, etc.) and I’d use some very fine wire wool to lightly polish them.

Good luck.

Last edited:
They are quite attractive but I guess that the Uke cost the best part of $50 delivered from Australia, Ouch! However your child probably loves the paint job and the joy that your son gets from that is impossible to value.

Perhaps you’ve done some work already but if not then this video (Sponge Bob Uke set-up) and the follow on one to it will likely be of help to you. At the end of the second video Bob sounded OK - vastly improved and potentially usable.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbp7dApxAuE

The video is in German but there are English sub-tittles. The tools used are quite crude but they were effective.
I suspect that the frets are Brass and will polish up bright again, shield the painted fretboard (masking tape, etc.) and I’d use some very fine wire wool to lightly polish them.

Good luck.

Oh, Man! This is a great video! A millions thanks to you Graham!

I'll try my best to help my Bob!

Top Bottom