PDA

View Full Version : New and unusual Guilele models from Romero Creations

Rakelele
09-01-2018, 10:54 PM
Lately, Pepe Romero has been building a couple of different Guilele models, one being based on his Tiny Tenor model and the other one of Baritone size with a 20" scale. These were made by himself in his custom line, but they will be released in his more affordable import line from Vietnam ("Romero Creations").

Here is a picture that Pepe posted of the two prototypes:

https://www.facebook.com/170745149690663/photos/a.481972821901226/1748507721914390/?type=3&theater

And here is a demo of the Baritone Guilele, sampled by the folks from HMS:

https://vimeo.com/287243884

In comparison, here are some samples from Pepe's custom instruments.

Baritone Guilele:

https://vimeo.com/244471661

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5r6-0lHzjw

Tiny Tenor Guilele:

https://vimeo.com/276077094

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13ILqsmKsLg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcu8rI-TvqI

Is anyone else as excited about these as I am?

I hope that Romero Creations will be offering different wood options, such as a Spruce top with a Spalted Mango body, or how about a Walnut or Ebony body…?

kvehe
09-02-2018, 12:05 AM
I am definitely as excited as you are!

I would especially like a baritone guilele!

SoloRule
09-02-2018, 02:00 AM
I am definitely as excited as you are!

I would especially like a baritone guilele!

We are on andrew waiting list. Coming in January 2019

Jerryc41
09-02-2018, 02:15 AM
Nice pictures, especially of the builds. I found it interesting how he uses a board screwed to the work table to hold the bracing down for gluing.

It must be tough keeping up with so many different models. I guess that's why some become unavailable for so long.

Jim Hanks
09-02-2018, 02:18 AM
I'd be interested in the TT version if it is has a narrower neck than the Koaloha. 46mm would be perfect if you're listening Pepe.

I agree with the different woods thoughts too - all mango would be yummy. :drool:

bratsche
09-02-2018, 01:12 PM
I wonder if one could find strings to tune them in fifths? They do sound very lovely!

bratsche

Jim Hanks
09-02-2018, 03:36 PM
I wonder if one could find strings to tune them in fifths?
Six strings in fifths? It's hard enough getting four strings in fifths. Let's see: F2 C3 G3 D4 A4 E5
E5 is tough to get on tenor but seems like we recently had a thread on GDAE tenor that claimed it was possible. F2 isn't going to work real well either but might not be impossible.

bratsche
09-02-2018, 04:01 PM
Just wondered aloud, since I've seen/heard some videos on YouTube of regular-sized guitars tuned in fifths. BTW, tuning four strings in fifths isn't hard, it's easy! In my opinion, it's the most natural thing to do. LOL ;-)

bratsche

Rakelele
09-03-2018, 01:55 AM
Good to see that there is quite some interest for this type of instruments.

Jim, my own comfort zone for the nut width would be around 48mm, but since Pepe is coming from the world of classical guitars, I'd expect it to be 50-52mm. Also I'd wish for a radius fretboard which makes barre chords a lot easier for me with six strings, but again, with Pepe coming from the classical guitar, I'm pretty sure his fretboards will be flat.

Still, I'm very excited to try one - or maybe both… :rolleyes:

Jim Hanks
09-03-2018, 02:12 AM
my own comfort zone for the nut width would be around 48mm, but since Pepe is coming from the world of classical guitars, I'd expect it to be 50-52mm. Also I'd wish for a radius fretboard which makes barre chords a lot easier for me with six strings, but again, with Pepe coming from the classical guitar, I'm pretty sure his fretboards will be flat.
What he should do is wide neck on the baritone and narrow on the TT. I could deal with 48mm. After spending time with the extremes of the Mini (50mm) and C1M (44.5mm), I asked for something in the middle for my custom Jupiter.

Radius would be nice. It does help on the Jupiter. But flat, narrow, tenor scale I could deal with.

Rakelele
09-03-2018, 07:20 AM
I just learned from Pepe that the nut width will be 49mm (on both of these two models, I suppose). To me, this is better than another one with 51mm, like the Kanilea/Islander GL6 or the KoAloha D-VI.

The scale length of the TT guilele is 17", the baritone guilele will have a 21" scale, according to Pepe.

Apparently, they will hit the stores in January.

Rakelele
09-04-2018, 09:06 AM
Some more good news: they will have a 20" radius to the fretboard. This is nearly flat, but will hopefully still make barre chords a bit easier.

DownUpDave
09-04-2018, 01:47 PM
Some more good news: they will have a 20" radius to the fretboard. This is nearly flat, but will hopefully still make barre chords a bit easier.

Rainer I kept looking at those instruments and thought I saw a radius but I dismissed it as the angle of the picture. You have made my day and I will now order one.

Patrick Madsen
09-04-2018, 09:04 PM
Any idea of possible cost?

Rakelele
09-05-2018, 01:34 AM
Any idea of possible cost?

My guess would be somewhere in the 700-900 range.

Jim Hanks
09-05-2018, 07:06 AM
My guess would be somewhere in the 700-900 range.
My guess too. The 4-string TTs all solids on HMS right now are $539 and $719 so I can't see them being less than that.

Although it would also be cool if they did a solid top/laminate B&S version in the $300 range. Can dream, right?

Rakelele
09-05-2018, 12:14 PM
The first of the Romero Creations Tiny Tenor Guileles are now for sale on The Ukulele Site … and I went ahead and ordered one, with a Spruce top and Mahogany back/sides. :o I'm just a sucker for unusual designs, and for any crossing between Ukulele and Guitar. And I really like what Pepe Romero has been coming up with. If I like the TT6, I might eventually go for the Baritone Guilele model as well.

So, anybody else here ordering one from this very first batch?

Jim Hanks
09-05-2018, 01:07 PM
Whoa! :eek: I'll be holding off to see what the final specs ended up at and to see if any different woods or cheaper versions come out. But definitely looking forward to your report.

DownUpDave
09-05-2018, 01:29 PM
The first of the Romero Creations Tiny Tenor Guileles are now for sale on The Ukulele Site … and I went ahead and ordered one, with a Spruce top and Mahogany back/sides. :o I'm just a sucker for unusual designs, and for any crossing between Ukulele and Guitar. And I really like what Pepe Romero has been coming up with. If I like the TT6, I might eventually go for the Baritone Guilele model as well.

So, anybody else here ordering one from this very first batch?

Well..........I have gone ahead and ordered the Spruce Mahogany Baritone Guilele.

Brenda where are you.......better hurry up before all the ice cream is gone:p

Patrick Madsen
09-05-2018, 01:33 PM
If DUD has ordered; that's good enough for me. Did you call Andrew to order Dave? I swore the Jumbo Baritone being built for me would be my last; Ha! guess I'm wrong again.

Our band director told me to tell my wife I need another instrument.... I told my wife; she wrapped up a plastic Kazoo and said "Here's your new instrument".

kvehe
09-05-2018, 01:46 PM
I’m in! I’ve ordered the all-mahogany model. Thanks, Rainer, for the heads-up!

DownUpDave
09-05-2018, 02:23 PM
If DUD has ordered; that's good enough for me. Did you call Andrew to order Dave? I swore the Jumbo Baritone being built for me would be my last; Ha! guess I'm wrong again.

Our band director told me to tell my wife I need another instrument.... I told my wife; she wrapped up a plastic Kazoo and said "Here's your new instrument".

I sent him a text message. He is busy getting things going with the new 2nd store they will be opening.

Jim Hanks
09-07-2018, 05:01 PM
Looks like HMS has been cleaned out. I expect reports from you lot soon. :cool:

Rakelele
09-07-2018, 07:11 PM
Waiting on mine to be setup and shipped.

Andrew measured 47mm at the nut (here you go, Jim!) and confirmed that the fretboard has a slight radius to it. In addition to two different designs and scale lengths to chose from, this could actually check a lot of boxes for a lot of people...

Jim Hanks
09-08-2018, 01:36 AM
Andrew measured 47mm at the nut (here you go, Jim!) and confirmed that the fretboard has a slight radius to it.
Uh-oh. I better keep the stopper in the piggy bank for a while. If one comes out in mango, I'm probably a goner. :p

DownUpDave
09-08-2018, 01:49 AM
Uh-oh. I better keep the stopper in the piggy bank for a while. If one comes out in mango, I'm probably a goner. :p

It is good to be a goner Jim..........yes mango, going, going, goner :biglaugh:

DownUpDave
09-08-2018, 01:52 AM
Waiting on mine to be setup and shipped.

Andrew measured 47mm at the nut (here you go, Jim!) and confirmed that the fretboard has a slight radius to it. In addition to two different designs and scale lengths to chose from, this could actually check a lot of boxes for a lot of people...

Different scale length, different scale lengths???? I know one is 17", do you know what the other one is?

It comes with a radius too.........I am a GONER like Jim

hollisdwyer
09-08-2018, 05:43 AM
Different scale length, different scale lengths???? I know one is 17", do you know what the other one is?

It comes with a radius too.........I am a GONER like Jim

OMG Dave, I just can’t take this temptation. It has the extra two strings that I’ve been missing for years now. So, how are the Tenor and Baritone tuned?

Jim Hanks
09-08-2018, 06:37 AM
how are the Tenor and Baritone tuned?
I'm guessing both would come with these strings: https://www.stringsbymail.com/pepe-romero-guilele-fluorocarbon-strings-ug1-17520.html
which claim ADGCEA for tenor and standard E for baritone. I prefer Terz tuning in the baritone scale - one step lower than tenor.

DownUpDave
09-08-2018, 12:12 PM
OMG Dave, I just can’t take this temptation. It has the extra two strings that I’ve been missing for years now. So, how are the Tenor and Baritone tuned?

Hollis I would imagine the TT6 with the 17" scale is tuned as Jim stated ADGCEA. The baritone guilele (the one I am getting, yes Andrew is holding one of the spruce tops for me while he waits to receive the case) has either a 20" or 21" scale, there is conflicting info. That leaves it open to anything down to EADGBE, standard guitar tuning. Aquila makes strings for the Cordoba Mini with a 20" length for that tuning. That is the tuning I hope works. Rainer thinks G to G might be better, I'll do lots of experimenting and see what works best. It will probably be 4 weeks time or longer before I get my hands on it

Jim Hanks
09-08-2018, 03:07 PM
All true Bill. There are also a couple of common reentrant forms - the so called Eddie Freeman Special and Kiku - as well as more exotic ones I'm sure. And DADGAD equivalents.

DownUpDave
09-09-2018, 12:51 AM
Thanks Bill that was very useful information on tunings for these nonstandard type instruments. It did not distract from the topic at all, I think it added much value.

King David
09-23-2018, 02:34 AM
Bump because it was my birthday and now I’m interested in a Romero Creations baritone guilele(still true that these will be out next year???). I know his signature 6 string model is tuned like a guitar, but is this smaller baritone guilele too, or is it ADGCEA?

Jerryc41
09-23-2018, 02:55 AM
Four strings are plenty for me.

Jim Hanks
09-23-2018, 03:07 AM
I know his signature 6 string model is tuned like a guitar, but is this smaller baritone guilele too, or is it ADGCEA?
I don’t know know how it will come stock, but you can do either with the right strings.

Jim Hanks
09-23-2018, 03:08 AM
Four strings are plenty for me.
Then stay out of our thread :troll:
:biglaugh:
:smileybounce:

Rakelele
09-23-2018, 04:18 AM
Bump because it was my birthday and now I’m interested in a Romero Creations baritone guilele(still true that these will be out next year???). I know his signature 6 string model is tuned like a guitar, but is this smaller baritone guilele too, or is it ADGCEA?

Happy Birthday, David! Good to have you back around. Unlike the Pepe Romero Senior signature model which is essentially the size of a parlor guitar, these baritones can be tuned A-A like most guitaleles, or a full step down to Terz (G-G), or as Jim mentioned, even to E-E like a regular guitar with the right set of strings. For me, what works best at this scale length (20-21") is Terz, which is used in the demo video below.

According to Pepe, they should be in stores by January. The first prototypes have been sold via HMS, perhaps they still have a Baritone model in stock (not on the site).

https://vimeo.com/287931017
https://vimeo.com/287931017

Jim Hanks
09-30-2018, 02:45 PM
bump on this thread - 3.5 weeks since initial orders - nobody shipped yet?

DownUpDave
09-30-2018, 03:08 PM
bump on this thread - 3.5 weeks since initial orders - nobody shipped yet?

Only because Rainer is asleep in Europe I will answer the question for you Jim. Rainers TT6 is in transit and he should get it this week, I was talking to him today. My baritone guilele is still awaiting its case to arrive, a standard off the shelf case won't work.

SoloRule
09-30-2018, 03:33 PM
Only because Rainer is asleep in Europe I will answer the question for you Jim. Rainers TT6 is in transit and he should get it this week, I was talking to him today. My baritone guilele is still awaiting its case to arrive, standard off the shelf case won't work.

and Kathryn is getting hers tomorrow

Rakelele
10-06-2018, 11:11 PM
My Romero Creations Spruce/Mahogany Tiny Tenor Guilele (TT6-SM) has arrived a couple of days ago. I won't have time to write an extensive review for a while but wanted to let you know that my first impression is very, very positive. The mirror-like high gloss finish looks extremely well made. I love the small size and the unusual design, it doesn't look and feel like a miniature guitar, but like an instrument of its own. Despite being considerably smaller than my KoAloha Opio G6 Guitalele or the Islander GL6, the sound and volume are similar to them. I think it sounds a bit cleaner and more refined, but perhaps also a little weaker towards the low end (which I was expecting with such a small body).

What I think has turned out really great is the playability of the neck. With a nut width of 48mm and a slight radius to the fretboard, it
makes playing much easier for me than a flat and wide fretboard like the Opio or the Islander. Not too much of a radius, but not entirely flat, not as wide as classical guitar, but not as narrow as on some acoustic guitars, I think this will hit the spot for a lot of people.

It comes with a sturdy hardshell case that fits like a glove. Despite the uke having a tenor scale length, the case has about the length of a concert case. My only criticism would be that the case is kind of bulky. Part of the fun of having such a small instrument is its portability, so the case should be reduced to a minimum as well. I think they could take away about 20 mm off the top of the case and make it a bit more triangle shaped, following the outer lines of the instrument more closely, and it would still offer enough protection for the instrument.

I'd guess that Pepe's custom instruments sound fuller still, but the Romero Creations model is built absolutely flawless (perhaps even cleaner looking than Pepe's own). I am very curious now about the Baritone Guilele model, and would love to hear the thoughts of others how got one of these instruments. How do you like it?

Ukulele Eddie
10-07-2018, 12:04 AM
Congrats, Rainer! I know you were super excited about that one so I'm glad it worked out for you.

Somebody please buy this phenomenal sounding Pepe custom guitalele and save me from myself:

https://www.theukulelesite.com/pepe-romero-custom-spruce-top-rosewood-tiny-tenor-guilele-1.html

DownUpDave
10-07-2018, 01:04 AM
Congrats, Rainer! I know you were super excited about that one so I'm glad it worked out for you.

Somebody please buy this phenomenal sounding Pepe custom guitalele and save me from myself:

https://www.theukulelesite.com/pepe-romero-custom-spruce-top-rosewood-tiny-tenor-guilele-1.html

I agree with Eddie, a big congratulations Rainer and thank you for a well done and thoughtful review.

Eddie I had immediately sent the listing and video to Brenda when it was first seen. I tried really hard to get her to bite, but no luck

Jim Hanks
10-07-2018, 02:02 AM
dang, I was afraid of that. :p
I sent off an email off the RC website to see if I could "request" a mango TT6. We'll see what happens. :nana:

DownUpDave
10-07-2018, 03:43 AM
dang, I was afraid of that. :p
I sent off an email off the RC website to see if I could "request" a mango TT6. We'll see what happens. :nana:

Mmmmmmmango, so tasty :cool:

Jim Hanks
10-07-2018, 04:38 AM
Mmmmmmmango, so tasty :cool:
They’ve done mango as a regular TT so there is hope they could do it as a TT6

DownUpDave
10-24-2018, 01:38 AM
I received my Romero Creations baritone guilele about 5 days ago and I like it, a lot!!!. This is very well made, the finish is a just a little bit on the thick side but that is comparing it to hand build custom tenors costing 3X the price. The spruce top is of the highest quality with tight straight grain and lots of cross silking. The mahogany back is also of very high quality with beautiful grain and a 3D shimmer, and very resonant when tapped. Black binding, can't tell if it is ebony or plastic with well done B/W/B purfing on the top. Abalone rosette, ebony fingerboard, string through bridge and headstock overlay. Six Gotoh UPT tuners do a superb job as usual and look great.

When you pick it up and hold it the balance is very good and it really feels like a high quality instrument. As Rainer said in his review of the TT6 the playability is excellent. The 48mm wide nut and radius fretboard are very comfortable to me, the fret work is excellent. The overall size is just about identical to my Mya Moe baritone. This instrument has a 20" scale length (I was hoping for something longer, more on that later). Over all length is 29-1/2", lower bout width 11" body depth at tail end 3-1/8". It comes with a semi ridgid heavily padded gig bag which should make traveling with it a breeze.

Before talking sound quality a few caveats. I have just really ventured into 6 string territory in past six months, got me some guitars including a Cordoba C10 crossover. I thought I had heard this instrument had a scale length longer than 20", more like 22". This coupled with the nut width 1-7/8 and radiused fretboard spurred me to tell Andrew at HMS I wanted one. You see I really wanted this tuned like a guitar E - E and Andrew said he had strings in stock by Pepe for this instrument tuned E - E. When I received it I measured the scale length and it was 20" this leaves the tension on the low side, especially the wound E and A strings, I was dissappointed. But the more I played it the more I liked it. This has a very sweet and lyrical sound, quite musical. I play with a light touch naturally so I am not over driving those two wound strings. I am really enjoying this and very glad I bought it. I'll be doing some string experimenting to try larger diameter higher tension strings, got three different sets on order, including Aquila Red guilele E-E set.

Alytw
10-24-2018, 10:02 AM
Nice review Dave. Where did you find the reds for the baritone scale? I could only find them for a 17”.

DownUpDave
10-24-2018, 10:59 AM
Nice review Dave. Where did you find the reds for the baritone scale? I could only find them for a 17”.

Well........I am not sure they are for baritone scale but I will give them a try anyways. If their tension is high enough to tune a 17" scale to E-E they should be even tighter on a 20" scale. Fortunately this is a string through bridge so plenty strong. I will measure the diameters first and bring them up to pitch slowly but they shouldn't pose an issue.

To answer your actual question I bought them at Strings by Mail. Not sure if they are for 17" or 20" really, we will find out. Edit.......they are for 17" scale length.

Jim Hanks
10-24-2018, 01:10 PM
They are for 17". There is an E set for the 20" Mini but they aren't reds:
https://www.stringsbymail.com/cordoba-mini-e-tuning-classical-guitar-strings-full-set-15514.html

DownUpDave
10-24-2018, 02:01 PM
They are for 17". There is an E set for the 20" Mini but they aren't reds:
https://www.stringsbymail.com/cordoba-mini-e-tuning-classical-guitar-strings-full-set-15514.html

Yea I ordered the 153C in the guilele section. They are reds and they are for 17" scale length, we shall see what happens.

SA Condor
10-28-2018, 05:24 AM
Hello! Now that you’ve had it for a ew weeks, what’s your impression now? Could you do us a favor and photograph your TT6 with the KoAloha and Islander? That would be a great help visually. Also, I can’t remember if it’s your that has the Lichty Bard Guitar, but if it is you, could you please add that to the photo for comparison sake?!

Thanks!

My Romero Creations Spruce/Mahogany Tiny Tenor Guilele (TT6-SM) has arrived a couple of days ago. I won't have time to write an extensive review for a while but wanted to let you know that my first impression is very, very positive. The mirror-like high gloss finish looks extremely well made. I love the small size and the unusual design, it doesn't look and feel like a miniature guitar, but like an instrument of its own. Despite being considerably smaller than my KoAloha Opio G6 Guitalele or the Islander GL6, the sound and volume are similar to them. I think it sounds a bit cleaner and more refined, but perhaps also a little weaker towards the low end (which I was expecting with such a small body).

Rakelele
11-03-2018, 12:46 AM
Hello! Now that you’ve had it for a ew weeks, what’s your impression now? Could you do us a favor and photograph your TT6 with the KoAloha and Islander? That would be a great help visually. Also, I can’t remember if it’s your that has the Lichty Bard Guitar, but if it is you, could you please add that to the photo for comparison sake?!

Here is a quick snapshot of my four Guilele or Guitalele/Guitarlele type instruments. Sorry for the late answer and the bad picture, but it will give you an idea of the differences in size:

1. Baby Bard from Jay Lichty: 19" scale, radius fretboard, 47.5mm nut, solid Spruce and Myrtle, mirror flat high gloss finish

2. Kanile'a Islander GL6: 20" scale, flat fretboard, 50 mm nut, laminate Acacia, satin finish

3. KoAloha Opio D-VI / G6: 17" scale, flat fretboard, 51mm nut, solid Acacia, semi gloss finish with some open pores

4. Pepe Romero Creations TT6: 17" scale, radius fretboard, 48mm nut, solid Spruce and Mahogany, mirror flat high gloss finish

I have all of these tuned to G-G, so three steps up from guitar tuning, or a full step down from regular ukulele tuning.

The Baby Bard is clearly in a league of its own. This one sounds like a classical guitar, or actually better than every other full sized guitar I have come across. Just as loud, but sweeter and more "lyrical". It has been built to fit my specs exactly, so it is perfect to play for me, with a relatively big body, but a short scale of only 19", a medium nut width of about 47.5mm and a strong radius that helps with barre.

Next to that, I REALLY like the Romero Creations TT6. With its small size, it is extremely comfortable to play while hanging on the couch. I think the special body shapes makes it very comfortable to hold as well, with no upper bout in the way when bowing over the instrument. As I mentioned before in this thread, the neck and fretboard has the perfect specs for me, with a slight radius and a medium nut width of 48mm. Almost as comfortable as the Lichty.

All of the three factory models are well set-up, medium to low action, no sharp frets. Appart from the wider necks and the flat fretboard on the Islander and the Opio, they all play very well. They all came from HMS, so I don't know how much work went into fixing up playability.

The Romero has the nicest finish by far: a perfectly mirror flat gloss finish. I can't really judge its thickness, but from looking at the soundhole, I don't think that it is particularly thick. Definitely very protective and just the way I like it. I have no worries touching this instrument and playing it for hours. The Gotoh tuners definitely add to the value over the plastic tuners that are used on the Kanilea and the KoAloha.

In terms of sound, these three are quite similar. Out of the three, I prefer the tone of the Romero: not as boomy and perhaps not quite as loud as the Opio, but very sweet and "lyrical", with great dynamics. The solid Spruce top has greatly opened up over just a few days, I was quite amazed, as I hadn't experienced this so strongly before.

Can you tell I really like my Romero Guilele? :D

SA Condor
11-03-2018, 07:56 AM
Wonderful picture for visual comparison and I greatly appreciate your thoughts! That’s very very helpful to me, thank you :)

Here is a quick snapshot of my four Guilele or Guitalele/Guitarlele type instruments. Sorry for the late answer and the bad picture, but it will give you an idea of the differences in size:

1. Baby Bard from Jay Lichty: 19" scale, radius fretboard, 47.5mm nut, solid Spruce and Myrtle, mirror flat high gloss finish

2. Kanile'a Islander GL6: 20" scale, flat fretboard, 50 mm nut, laminate Acacia, satin finish

3. KoAloha Opio D-VI / G6: 17" scale, flat fretboard, 51mm nut, solid Acacia, semi gloss finish with some open pores

4. Pepe Romero Creations TT6: 17" scale, radius fretboard, 48mm nut, solid Spruce and Mahogany, mirror flat high gloss finish

I have all of these tuned to G-G, so three steps up from guitar tuning, or a full step down from regular ukulele tuning.

The Baby Bard is clearly in a league of its own. This one sounds like a classical guitar, or actually better than every other full sized guitar I have come across. Just as loud, but sweeter and more "lyrical". It has been built to fit my specs exactly, so it is perfect to play for me, with a relatively big body, but a short scale of only 19", a medium nut width of about 47.5mm and a strong radius that helps with barre.

Next to that, I REALLY like the Romero Creations TT6. With its small size, it is extremely comfortable to play while hanging on the couch. I think the special body shapes makes it very comfortable to hold as well, with no upper bout in the way when bowing over the instrument. As I mentioned before in this thread, the neck and fretboard has the perfect specs for me, with a slight radius and a medium nut width of 48mm. Almost as comfortable as the Lichty.

All of the three factory models are well set-up, medium to low action, no sharp frets. Appart from the wider necks and the flat fretboard on the Islander and the Opio, they all play very well. They all came from HMS, so I don't know how much work went into fixing up playability.

The Romero has the nicest finish by far: a perfectly mirror flat gloss finish. I can't really judge its thickness, but from looking at the soundhole, I don't think that it is particularly thick. Definitely very protective and just the way I like it. I have no worries touching this instrument and playing it for hours. The Gotoh tuners definitely add to the value over the plastic tuners that are used on the Kanilea and the KoAloha.

In terms of sound, these three are quite similar. Out of the three, I prefer the tone of the Romero: not as boomy and perhaps not quite as loud as the Opio, but very sweet and "lyrical", with great dynamics. The solid Spruce top has greatly opened up over just a few days, I was quite amazed, as I hadn't experienced this so strongly before.

Can you tell I really like my Romero Guilele? :D

Jim Hanks
11-03-2018, 08:36 AM
Nice! It interesting how pictures can be deceptive. Looking st the TT6, I'd swear it has the widest neck of all of them. I guess the squat body is playing tricks on me.

mgsondance
01-05-2019, 11:40 PM
Can anyone tell me the price? for both the TT, and the baritone one?
Also, does anyone know when more will come in? Jim Hanks- I'm hoping they have a mango one as well!!!
A few days ago Pepe mentioned "mid year", so they must be delayed. But when I said I had heard they would be here mid January, he said "a few".
Getting anxious.....

DownUpDave
01-06-2019, 12:01 AM
Can anyone tell me the price? for both the TT, and the baritone one?
Also, does anyone know when more will come in? Jim Hanks- I'm hoping they have a mango one as well!!!
A few days ago Pepe mentioned "mid year", so they must be delayed. But when I said I had heard they would be here mid January, he said "a few".
Getting anxious.....

My Romero Creations baritone guilele with case from HMS was $999.00, this is the spruce/mahogany model. I was playing it yesterday, even against my full size Cordoba classical guitar it sounds good tuned E - E. Not as loud, bright or dynamic but it has a very sweet pleasing tone with good resonance

Rakelele
01-06-2019, 12:22 AM
The first batch of the TT6 guileles were sold for $729 USD (TT6), whereas the baritone guilele model had a retail price of $999 USD, if I remember correctly. Here's the link to the first TT6 which HMS had for sale (and which has become one of my favorite instruments):

https://www.theukulelesite.com/romero-creations-tt6-sm-spruce-mahogany-tiny-tenor-guilele.html

Pepe announced on Instagram that he is going to show the guilele models at the NAMM show at the end of January, so I'm confident he has a few in stock. I'd suppose they will be available from HMS or Uke Republic after NAMM. Last time we spoke, Pepe said that they will be Mahogany and Spruce, no other woods for now. My suggestion was Walnut/Cedar (Romero Creations has used this combo for a guitar).

mgsondance
01-06-2019, 09:18 AM
My Romero Creations baritone guilele with case from HMS was $999.00, this is the spruce/mahogany model. I was playing it yesterday, even against my full size Cordoba classical guitar it sounds good tuned E - E. Not as loud, bright or dynamic but it has a very sweet pleasing tone with good resonance

Thanks! Seems high for their spruce/mahogany model, though. Really nice that you can tune it E to E.

mgsondance
01-06-2019, 09:22 AM
The first batch of the TT6 guileles were sold for $729 USD (TT6), whereas the baritone guilele model had a retail price of $999 USD, if I remember correctly. Here's the link to the first TT6 which HMS had for sale (and which has become one of my favorite instruments):

https://www.theukulelesite.com/romero-creations-tt6-sm-spruce-mahogany-tiny-tenor-guilele.html

Pepe announced on Instagram that he is going to show the guilele models at the NAMM show at the end of January, so I'm confident he has a few in stock. I'd suppose they will be available from HMS or Uke Republic after NAMM. Last time we spoke, Pepe said that they will be Mahogany and Spruce, no other woods for now. My suggestion was Walnut/Cedar (Romero Creations has used this combo for a guitar).

Thanks. Sounds nice! Sure would like to see some other wood combos, though. I'm eager to try one.

Jerryc41
01-06-2019, 09:47 AM
If there can be six-string ukuleles, can there be four-string guitars? ;)

mgsondance
01-06-2019, 09:55 AM
Absolutely! Four-string tenor guitars.

Rakelele
01-07-2019, 12:48 AM

This type of "discussion" is getting boring: Is it a lute or a uke? Is it a banjo or a uke? Is it a mandolin or a uke? Is it a guitar or a uke? There you have them all, and yes: every crossover is possible. As mgsondance mentioned, a four-string guitar is usually called a tenor guitar, but you can play it just like a baritone ukulele if you like. My recommendation would be to just enjoy the variety that is offered from these types of instruments and don't worry much about what they are called.

mgsondance
01-08-2019, 09:24 PM
Just heard from Joel- the koa TT6's are on their way to HHS! Although now that I'm going to sell my mango Mya Moe, I'm going to hold out for a mango one. Cost of the koa model will be $1079.00

Rakelele
01-09-2019, 09:42 AM
Just heard from Joel- the koa TT6's are on their way to HHS! Although now that I'm going to sell my mango Mya Moe, I'm going to hold out for a mango one. Cost of the koa model will be $1079.00

Whaaat, there is a Koa version of the TT6??!! This is great news, and gives me hope that there will be more wood options in the future.

But wait, there is more. Look at the picture Pepe just posted on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsWAexbA4Qo/

Do you see the TT6, second from the left? Good. Now look to the left: what do you see? --- Take a deep breath and let your pulse settle back to normal: There is a bigger version of the TT6, basically a baritone sized guilele in the shape of the Tiny Tenor! Is this the coolest thing, or what?! According to Pepe, the scale length is 21", and many of you will cheer: Pepe said it's tuned E-E.

mgsondance
01-09-2019, 07:17 PM
Whaaat, there is a Koa version of the TT6??!! This is great news, and gives me hope that there will be more wood options in the future.

I didn’t think the koa was coming out this soon, either. But where there is koa, the spalted mango can’t Be far behind!
Pepe said there were 3 guilele models coming out- the 3rd must be that larger TT one. ����

DownUpDave
01-10-2019, 01:24 AM

But wait, there is more. Look at the picture Pepe just posted on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsWAexbA4Qo/

Do you see the TT6, second from the left? Good. Now look to the left: what do you see? --- Take a deep breath and let your pulse settle back to normal: There is a bigger version of the TT6, basically a baritone sized guilele in the shape of the Tiny Tenor! Is this the coolest thing, or what?! According to Pepe, the scale length is 21", and many of you will cheer: Pepe said it's tuned E-E.

Damn Rainer.........not sure if I should hug you or curse you. MUST.......back.....away.....from the computer screen while hiding my wallet

Jim Hanks
02-10-2019, 01:55 AM
As of this morning, there are 3 6-strings up at HMS, all spruce/mahogany:
https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/romero-creations.html

If that TT6 was mango it would be mine.

Jerryc41
02-10-2019, 02:22 AM
Take a "Tiny" and add two strings. Four strings are plenty for me.

Rakelele
02-10-2019, 03:05 AM
Looks like the DH6 (baritone sized Tiny Tenor guilele) is sold out already… :(

Jim Hanks
02-10-2019, 03:52 AM
Looks like the DH6 (baritone sized Tiny Tenor guilele) is sold out already… :(
There was only one of each model listed

Jim Hanks
02-19-2019, 10:56 AM
Koa TT6 listed : https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/romero-creations/romero-creations-tt6-k-koa-tiny-tenor-guilele.html

Sounds great of course but that's a good bit north of my comfort zone

gochugogi
02-23-2019, 04:29 PM
Koa TT6 listed : https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/romero-creations/romero-creations-tt6-k-koa-tiny-tenor-guilele.html

Sounds great of course but that's a good bit north of my comfort zone

I wanted the spruce and mahogany TT6 but it sold out today online and in their shops. Zack found a koa TT6 in the back room that hadn't been listed online yet so, after a few minutes of playing in slack and normal tuning I bought it. It was a few benjamins more than I was planning on but what Amazing tone for a wee instrument and the short scale was surprisingly easy to play, probably due to the wide neck and slight radius. They're installing a Five-O pickup so I can't take it home for a few days.

Wukulele
02-27-2019, 06:34 AM
I finally picked mine up yesterday & noodled around on it. I'm not playing it now... I think it's still resonating from the last strum yesterday.
After I placed the order for this, another big (non-uke) project fell in my lap. Between that & having just started ukulele, & forgetting most guitar chord shapes, it may be a while before I get to explore the TT6 in depth.
I actually was quite OK w/ a Spruce top for a TT6 (unlike my usual uke preferences), but all that was left was Koa :rolleyes: . This was my 3rd attempt at getting a guilele. 1st try: explored Cordobas & ended up with José González tix; 2nd try: ended up "tide over until THE guilele" baritone for almost $41 shipped. 3rd time's the charm. And I may get to see Dan Ho perform a few times this year...

Jim Hanks
03-22-2019, 02:10 PM
You guys that missed out on the baritone Romero might want to take a look at this:
https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/price/400-699/pono-mb-6-solid-mahogany-guilele-oahu-case.html

Radius fretboard, 20" baritone scale. Also an acacia listed.

gochugogi
03-22-2019, 08:08 PM
You guys that missed out on the baritone Romero might want to take a look at this:
https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/price/400-699/pono-mb-6-solid-mahogany-guilele-oahu-case.html

Radius fretboard, 20" baritone scale. Also an acacia listed.

I was intrigued at first but then it has a really skinny fingerboard (44.5mm) so a deal breaker for me. It looks like a giant Pono MT. Steel-string converts will probably like it tho'. My wife has a Kanile'a GL6 Koa and that 51mm nut is like a dream to play on. Better than the RC Baritone 6, which is a tab tight at the nut but I've learned to grin and bare it as it sounds so dad burn good.

Ziret
03-22-2019, 08:24 PM
Where will he be performing? In the northwest? Do you mean Daniel?

I finally picked mine up yesterday & noodled around on it. I'm not playing it now... I think it's still resonating from the last strum yesterday.
After I placed the order for this, another big (non-uke) project fell in my lap. Between that & having just started ukulele, & forgetting most guitar chord shapes, it may be a while before I get to explore the TT6 in depth.
I actually was quite OK w/ a Spruce top for a TT6 (unlike my usual uke preferences), but all that was left was Koa :rolleyes: . This was my 3rd attempt at getting a guilele. 1st try: explored Cordobas & ended up with José González tix; 2nd try: ended up "tide over until THE guilele" baritone for almost $41 shipped. 3rd time's the charm. And I may get to see Dan Ho perform a few times this year...

Rakelele
03-22-2019, 08:32 PM
I was intrigued at first but then it has a really skinny fingerboard (44.5mm) so a deal breaker for me.

You might want to check back with HMS about the nut width as the listing might be wrong about the 1 3/4". I think it looks wider than that from the photos, similar to Romero Creations' nut width.

I was the one who suggested to Pono to make a baritone sized guilele model using the same neck as on their BE-6 solid body electric model (https://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-be-6-acacia-electric-guilele-package.html). Back then, I was told that the nut width was going to be 48 mm (more like 1 7/8"), which I find perfect for this scale length and the perfect middle between a classical and an electric guitar.

By the way, Pono also has a slightly bigger nylon string mini guitar named "ULN" which is based on their Terz guitar body, but with a 23" scale (the steel string model has 21.4"). This one is specifically stated to have a nut width of 48 mm. Here is a sound sample from "Southern Ukulele Store" which has them in stock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kVN2Ol980Y
https://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/shop-by-brand/pono/pono-uln-1-solid-acacia-short-scale-terz-nylon-guitar-free-case/

warndt
10-07-2019, 06:54 PM
I just bought the Romero Creations DH6 (baritone sized Tiny Tenor guilele) from HMS.

Unfortunately, it was the last one in stock.

The standard shape Baritone Guilele and the TT-6 are currently still available.
https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/romero-creations.html

kerneltime
10-07-2019, 06:59 PM
I just bought the Romero Creations DH6 (baritone sized Tiny Tenor guilele).

I believe it was the only one they had available at this time.

The standard shape Baritone Guilele and the TT-6 are still available.
I guess had more than one, I purchased one yesterday.. looking forward to it!

mgsondance
10-07-2019, 09:50 PM
I purchased one a few days ago. They got a dozen in last week.

Stlron
10-08-2019, 03:45 PM
I purchased mine last Thursday. Now I have to wait for set up and delivery.