Got the Hump

Timbuck

Reaction score
I just finished a nice Soprano neck fitted the ebony fretboard It looked really nice..untill I started to dress the frets The neck was flat before I glued on the fretboard but the glue decided to spoil my day and caused the neck to warp and now I've got a negative relief in the form of a hump in the middle I tried dressing the frets and recrowning :( but it's too bad to make a decent job of it...So! tomorow the fret board is coming off and i'll have to fix it..or scrap it.:wallbash:

I see a cremation on the horizon. Repairs never go well for me so I consign it to the byre before I waste a lot of time on my inevitable disappointment!
More than likely Pete..As I already have a stash of part finished necks blanks I can have a new neck made and fitted almost in the same time it takes to fix it.
PICT0050 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Ah, the dreaded Timms' crematorium!!

The bow in this neck was about 1.5mm up at about the 5th fret..Seeing as the glue was only about 4 hours in, it hadn't fully cured I had an idea, so I clamped it down hard with a couple of C clamps on my CI surface plate with a 1.5mm aluminium shim under the hump and bent it the other way...This morning when the glue had cured I released it, and wadda you know it's now ok just a little dressing and it will be fine. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom