Gretsch ukulele ID / value?

jqp

Reaction score
Hey there ukulele enthusiasts! I have an old Gretsch ukulele from when I was a kid. It's time for me to pass it on so that it can be properly used by someone who will enjoy it.

I'm wondering if any experts here can help with IDing the model and suggesting an idea of fair market value. The condition is pretty good, although there are some minor cracks on the front and a few dings on the rear. I'm not going to attempt to restore it in any way. There are not currently any strings and that's another choice I'll leave to the discretion of the next owner.

My research thus far indicates it might be a Gretsch 6930, but most of the pics I've seen of that model have a darker fretboard. Mine is the same color wood as the rest of the ukulele.

Photos are attached. Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be provided.

JQP

Attachments

• IMG_9219.jpg
    IMG_9219.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9220.jpg
    IMG_9220.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9221.jpg
    IMG_9221.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9227.jpg
    IMG_9227.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9229.jpg
    IMG_9229.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 32
The good news is that these simple no-frills Gretsch ukuleles are good players, lightly built with excellent materials.

The bad news is there are very little clues to when these were made (roughly 1925-1960). Yours has the earlier rounded tuner buttons, not the keystone ones from the 1950s. The T-roof logo narrows that down to 1946-1957.

The worst news, if you see it that way, is that the sale value is actually quite low. I've seen them go for something in between $100 and $150, with exceptions going down to $40 (with broken parts, missing bridge) or up to $300 (with mint case and original paperwork, at a prime antiques dealer). I suppos that could improve if you wait a few more years, and repair those minor cracks.

Jerryc41 - Yes, this model is only for the most advanced players!

ukulelekarcsi - Thank so much for the information. It's not bad news at all. I love that you can ID the year based on the logo and tuner buttons! Based on what you've said, it sounds like this is most likely a late 40s model. I'll list it for $150 shipped here and see if I can find it a happy home, otherwise it's off to the auction site.

Top Bottom