Need Baritone Strings with Long Sustain.

bari_Uke

Reaction score
Hi!

Could anyone recommend me some baritone strings with LONG sustain?

Thanks a ton!

Hi!

Could anyone recommend me some baritone strings with LONG sustain?

Thanks a ton!

The sustain is in the instrument and not really the strings. To start with though, are you tuning your baritone DGBE of GCEA? DGBE tuning will probably sustain more than gCEA.
What strings are you using already?
Wound low Bass strings will probably sustain or feel like they are sustaining longer.

It seems since Southcoast has quit making strings; many are trying out the Thomsec-Infeld CF35 for the D, CF30 for the G with Savarez, Pyramid or K Middleton trebles. This is a wound 3&4 stringset.

For a tenor set, the Thomsec-Infeld CF 30 (G) CF27 (C) with Oasis warm trebles. Fremont Soloist is also a good wound 4th string.

Thank you guys.

@anthonyhug
I've tried Aquilla,D'addario and Ortega and i prefer Ortega. Good Sound and decent sustain except the B string that,for some reason doesn't ring long.
Bass strings are wound and have,indeed, long sustain. That's the reason i was thinking that maybe i should find an all-wound set.

Thank you guys.

@anthonyg
I've tried Aquilla,D'addario and Ortega and i prefer Ortega. Good Sound and decent sustain except the B string that,for some reason doesn't ring long.
Bass strings are wound and have,indeed, long sustain. That's the reason i was thinking that maybe i should find an all-wound set.

I have Aquila DGBE on my baritones and just tested them. The B string rings just fine. If anything maybe a tiny fraction longer than the wound strings. I suspect that it has something to do with the instrument itself. Even if you find strings that sustain longer you will still be in the situation where the other strings ring longer still.

So MANY things it could be. The nut, the saddle. It may just be the instruments inbuilt resonance. Instruments having reduced resonance on a particular note is reasonably common.

I use D'addario classical strings on My Kala baritone. Strings 5, 4, 3, 2. I do not use the E,e strings. At first the sound was too hard and short. I tuned down 3 half steps and it sounds fine with more sustain. Playing in a group would require a capo on 3rd fret. Solo, no problem.

I really like Kanile’a’s baritone set. You have to order from them at factory as they make up their own set. $14 plus shipping. I play a deluxe koa with spruce top Kanile’a and the sound can’t be beat. Strings take more effort on your fingers than other strings but the sound is worth it. Regular tuning E, B, G, D

These are my favs T-I
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00162XU1M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Use the middle four of this classical guitar set. You will have 3 wound.
You can use the CF127 set to get two wounds and two unwounds. I haven't tried it on baritone but I have this set on two 19" guileles and it works well. The pitches there are C F Bb D but you should be able to get DGBE without being too much tension. Or you go with CFAD for a lower tension alternative- especially if you have a 20" baritone

Thanks to everyone for their replies!
Many great suggestions i'm going to try.

If you really want sustain watch the market place for a UL-4 "Super" baritone. It's built for steel strings and really delivers sustain and note clarity. Yes, a little tough on the finger tips initially but well worth the effort if you want a more guitar like sound.

I second the recommendation for Guadalupe strings, and for a non-intuitive reason: I hated them. I like loose strings that will bend and the Guadalupes were tight, resonant, and loud. That sounds like it might be what you're looking for although they were abhorrent to me and my style.

Top Bottom