PDA

View Full Version : Value of a Kinnard Tenor with repaired cracked top

eyedoc
09-05-2018, 06:26 AM
My 2016 Spruce/Rosewood Kinnard Series 2 tenor was damaged with two cracks that were repaired. Top does not look good, but it still sounds and plays great!
Any idea of valuation?
Ron

eyedoc
09-05-2018, 06:27 AM
Any offers?
Ron

counsel1
09-05-2018, 06:35 AM
I'll give you $250 for it!

hollisdwyer
09-05-2018, 06:58 AM

Surely there should be a LOL after that amount?

eyedoc
09-05-2018, 07:04 AM
That's because you know how good it sounds!

counsel1
09-05-2018, 07:07 AM
Absolutely -- I would love to buy it -- and will even save you shipping and Paypal fees!!
Hollis, I encourage you to outbid me!

hollisdwyer
09-05-2018, 07:58 AM
Absolutely -- I would love to buy it -- and will even save you shipping and Paypal fees!!
Hollis, I encourage you to outbid me!

I just bought a Hoffmann and a Barron River in the past week or so. That’s going to have to stave off my UAS for awhile. If I hadn’t it would be at least a two horse race if you’re talking money like that. It may not look pretty (neither do I) but it’s still a series 2 Kinnard. If the repairs are well done and the body is stable then someone will have a great sounding Uke that they normally couldn’t afford. What I want to know is who sat on it?

Patrick Madsen
09-05-2018, 08:27 AM
I'll go 500.00 and pay all costs involved getting it here.

Kenn2018
09-05-2018, 08:50 AM
$501...! :rolleyes:

No, to be serious here, what would it cost to send it back to Kinnard to have the top repaired or replaced?

eyedoc
09-05-2018, 08:54 AM
The repairs or professionally were done by a well-known luthier
I have another Kinnard series 3 so I did not investigate replacing the top
Ron

Jerryc41
09-05-2018, 09:40 AM
Try to see what similar ukes in good condition have sold for and take it from there.

strumsilly
09-05-2018, 11:17 AM
I would say at least half what it cost, which is probably more than i ever paid for a uke.

eyedoc
09-05-2018, 11:27 AM
Thanks for all the responses! I think less than half....
A comparable series 2 would sell used for $1700-1900.
I still sounds and plays the same..

Patrick Madsen
09-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Wow! That's more than fair Doc. It's a beautiful instrument and the top just adds to it's "badge of life".

eyedoc
09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
I already have one ukulele with the repair crack, a Romero
So I have my “scars” ....
Ron

Wow! That's more than fair Doc. It's a beautiful instrument and the top just adds to it's "badge of life".

Jerryc41
09-06-2018, 12:33 AM
Appearance counts for many people, whether it's a car, a camera, a mate, or a ukulele. I'm surprised the luthier wasn't able to make it look perfect. Maybe what you need is an expert woodworker.

hollisdwyer
09-06-2018, 05:48 AM
Appearance counts for many people, whether it's a car, a camera, a mate, or a ukulele. I'm surprised the luthier wasn't able to make it look perfect. Maybe what you need is an expert woodworker.

It might well be a masterpiece of modern plastic surgery as we never saw what the original damage looked like.

Considering that the Uke suffered major trauma, I think it looks pretty good. If I was a person who could never afford a quality Uke that costs +-$2000ish and someone offered me that instrument for $800ish, Id grab it. Reading my signature pane you can see that I like fine instruments but I believe that instruments should be played, not put in museum cases. I also know that shit happens. I guess that the price we pay for living life to the full.

counsel1
09-06-2018, 07:21 AM
It might well be a masterpiece of modern plastic surgery as we never saw what the original damage looked like.

Considering that the Uke suffered major trauma, I think it looks pretty good. If I was a person who could never afford a quality Uke that costs +-$2000ish and someone offered me that instrument for $800ish, I’d grab it. Reading my signature pane you can see that I like fine instruments but I believe that instruments should be played, not put in museum cases. I also know that shit happens. I guess that the price we pay for living life to the full.

I totally agree. If I hadn't just received a new spruce/rosewood tenor last week (which I love) I would be all over this at $800 - $900. If the cosmetics are an issue, I would think a John Kinnard retop shouldn't cost over $1000 -- a new style 2 is $2650. If I was in the market I would be calling Kinnard ukes for a retop estimate.

mineymole
09-06-2018, 09:19 AM
What is the asking price?

eyedoc
09-06-2018, 11:44 AM
HI,
I sold it for $500,
Ron

hollisdwyer
09-06-2018, 01:24 PM
Congratulations on the sale Ron. I hope you’re satisfied or at least resigned. Timing is everything.

It was interesting discussing this.

Kenn2018
09-06-2018, 05:32 PM
Ron, cool! Glad you sold it to someone who will appreciate your tenor.

There has to be an interesting story about how it came to be damaged... ;-)

eyedoc
09-06-2018, 05:56 PM
Yes there is. It was involved in an attempted robbery from my office, which failed because the police responded very quickly! He threw down the Uke which he had taken out of the case (?why),ant the top cracked.
I had it repaired by a local luthier, it sounds the same, but looking at it reminds me of the break-in, and the other damage done to my office....so I had to let it go.
Ron

Ukulele Eddie
09-06-2018, 07:31 PM
Yes there is. It was involved in an attempted robbery from my office, which failed because the police responded very quickly! He threw down the Uke which he had taken out of the case (?why),ant the top cracked.
I had it repaired by a local luthier, it sounds the same, but looking at it reminds me of the break-in, and the other damage done to my office....so I had to let it go.
Ron

Sure, Ron, sure. I was thinking more like that video, "World's Angriest Guitar Player" LOL. If you haven't seen it, you can search on Youtube (warning, contains graphic language).

Just kidding. Very odd that he had it out of the case. He must've been thinking, "Man, a KINNARD! Wow, I scored on this robbery! I'm so excited I can't even wait to flee the scene to play it." Cue sirens. Police officer, "Drop the ukulele and come out with your hands in the air!"

Sorry for the loss!

Ukecaster
09-07-2018, 01:43 AM
....."Man, a KINNARD! Wow, I scored on this robbery! I'm so excited I can't even wait to flee the scene to play it." Cue sirens. Police officer, "Drop the ukulele and come out with your hands in the air!"

It was probably more like "stop playing that thing, and we'll let to go" ;)

Kenn2018
09-07-2018, 06:29 AM
Man, that has got to hurt. A break-in, and then and then on top of it all he broke an expensive instrument. That sucks. I can understand your reluctance about keeping it.

warndt
09-07-2018, 10:39 AM
Sure, Ron, sure. I was thinking more like that video, "World's Angriest Guitar Player" LOL. If you haven't seen it, you can search on Youtube (warning, contains graphic language).

That "World's Angriest Guitar Player" video series is absolutely hilarious! I've watched each video at least three times and they just get funnier after each viewing.

BRILLIANT!