Value of a Kinnard Tenor with repaired cracked top

eyedoc

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
My 2016 Spruce/Rosewood Kinnard Series 2 tenor was damaged with two cracks that were repaired. Top does not look good, but it still sounds and plays great!
Any idea of valuation?
Ron

Attachments

• IMG_2083.jpg
    IMG_2083.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_2081.jpg
    IMG_2081.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2082.jpg
    IMG_2082.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_2084.jpg
    IMG_2084.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2085.jpg
    IMG_2085.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 145
Absolutely -- I would love to buy it -- and will even save you shipping and Paypal fees!!
Hollis, I encourage you to outbid me!

Absolutely -- I would love to buy it -- and will even save you shipping and Paypal fees!!
Hollis, I encourage you to outbid me!

I just bought a Hoffmann and a Barron River in the past week or so. That’s going to have to stave off my UAS for awhile. If I hadn’t it would be at least a two horse race if you’re talking money like that. It may not look pretty (neither do I) but it’s still a series 2 Kinnard. If the repairs are well done and the body is stable then someone will have a great sounding Uke that they normally couldn’t afford. What I want to know is who sat on it?

$501...! :rolleyes:

No, to be serious here, what would it cost to send it back to Kinnard to have the top repaired or replaced?

The repairs or professionally were done by a well-known luthier
I have another Kinnard series 3 so I did not investigate replacing the top
Ron

I would say at least half what it cost, which is probably more than i ever paid for a uke.

Thanks for all the responses! I think less than half....
A comparable series 2 would sell used for $1700-1900.
I still sounds and plays the same..

I already have one ukulele with the repair crack, a Romero
So I have my “scars” ....
Ron

Wow! That's more than fair Doc. It's a beautiful instrument and the top just adds to it's "badge of life".

Appearance counts for many people, whether it's a car, a camera, a mate, or a ukulele. I'm surprised the luthier wasn't able to make it look perfect. Maybe what you need is an expert woodworker.

Appearance counts for many people, whether it's a car, a camera, a mate, or a ukulele. I'm surprised the luthier wasn't able to make it look perfect. Maybe what you need is an expert woodworker.

It might well be a masterpiece of modern plastic surgery as we never saw what the original damage looked like.

Considering that the Uke suffered major trauma, I think it looks pretty good. If I was a person who could never afford a quality Uke that costs +-$2000ish and someone offered me that instrument for $800ish, I’d grab it. Reading my signature pane you can see that I like fine instruments but I believe that instruments should be played, not put in museum cases. I also know that s** happens. I guess that the price we pay for living life to the full.

It might well be a masterpiece of modern plastic surgery as we never saw what the original damage looked like.

Considering that the Uke suffered major trauma, I think it looks pretty good. If I was a person who could never afford a quality Uke that costs +-$2000ish and someone offered me that instrument for $800ish, I’d grab it. Reading my signature pane you can see that I like fine instruments but I believe that instruments should be played, not put in museum cases. I also know that s** happens. I guess that the price we pay for living life to the full.

I totally agree. If I hadn't just received a new spruce/rosewood tenor last week (which I love) I would be all over this at $800 - $900. If the cosmetics are an issue, I would think a John Kinnard retop shouldn't cost over $1000 -- a new style 2 is $2650. If I was in the market I would be calling Kinnard ukes for a retop estimate.

What is the asking price?

Top Bottom