Southcoast String Inventory for Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

southcoastukes

Reaction score
182 packages of Southcoast Strings packets for sale. Private Message for inventory list (sold as lot) or email make a reasonable offer

Last edited:
PM’d

Hey guys and gals, do you think that we can put together a consortium to clear these NOS’s from Dirk’s company?

Those were great string sets. I am sure that there would be lots of people who would be interested if someone took this on. I would be interested in seeing the list.

I'm not sure - the whole lot at $17 each plus shipping doesn't leave much room for the buyer to make a profit.

I'm not sure - the whole lot at $17 each plus shipping doesn't leave much room for the buyer to make a profit.

Where did you come up with the $17 each figure?

I would think $2000.00 for the whole lot would allow the buyer enough leeway to cover the expenses of time, energy and shipping if they sold the strings at a small markup plus actual shipping cost. The downside to buying the entire lot is that there are likely larger quantities of the lesser used strings that may be harder to sell.

Where did you come up with the $17 each figure?

I would think $2000.00 for the whole lot would allow the buyer enough leeway to cover the expenses of time, energy and shipping if they sold the strings at a small markup plus actual shipping cost. The downside to buying the entire lot is that there are likely larger quantities of the lesser used strings that may be harder to sell.

This is the inventory that I received upon request. There was no indication to keep it secret. There is quite a range. To decipher what is what would require the info about each set that was published on Dirks’ website.

SOUTHCOAST PACKAGED STRING INVENTORY AS OF 4 SEPTEMBER
Heavy medium gauge Ukulele Set/No wound Strings-HMU-NW-#of sets-12
Medium gauge Ukulele Set/No Wound Strings-MU-NW-# of sets-18
South Medium Gauge Ukulele Set/No Wound Strings-SMU-NW-# of sets-5
Extra Light Gauge Ukulele Set/HLU-# of sets-10
Light Gauge Ukulele Set/LU-# of sets-5
Light Medium Gauge Ukulele Set/no Wound Strings-LMU-NW-# of sets-13
Heavy Gauge Ukulele Set/No Wound Strings-HU-NW-# of sets-9
8. Soft Light Medium Gauge Ukulele Set/No Wound Strings-SLMU-NW-# of sets-10
Medium Gauge Linear Set/w/Wound Basses-ML-WB-# of sets-20
Light Medium Gauge Linear Set/No Wound Strings-LML-NW-# of sets-27
Heavy Gauge Linear Set/w/Wound Basses-HL-WB-# of sets-12
Extra Light Gauge Linear Set/XLL-# of sets-8
Light Gauge Linear Set/No Wound Strings-LL-NW-#of sets-10
Heavy medium Gauge Linear Set/w/Wound Basses-HML-WB-# of sets-21
Light Heavy gauge Plectrum Set/w/Wound Basses-LHP-WB-# of sets-2
182 total @ $17.00 per package plus shipping.

Edit: As I had previously only purchased 2 or 3 types of Dirk’s strings before, I just tried to find the individual set descriptions on the Southcoast website. The links to the list of individual sets has been disabled. The inclusion of this info would, IMO, be a mandatory inclusion in any sale.

Last edited:
I received the same email but looking at buying all at the $17. each plus shipping wasn't workable for me.

If someone buys them all and wants to sell some I am in.

I received the same email but looking at buying all at the $17. each plus shipping wasn't workable for me.

If someone buys them all and wants to sell some I am in.

I’m interested in some of the Heavy medium Gauge Linear Set/w/Wound Basses-HML-WB.

Edit: As I had previously only purchased 2 or 3 types of Dirk’s strings before, I just tried to find the individual set descriptions on the Southcoast website. The links to the list of individual sets has been disabled. The inclusion of this info would, IMO, be a mandatory inclusion in any sale.

Yeah I agree wholeheartedly. I would personally only be interested in sets with 2 wound strings. Without the descriptions that have been disabled the list is practically indecipherable regarding the NW sets. I suspect that we each recognize the sets we have individually bought and nothing else.

The ones I would be interested in are these:

Heavy Gauge Linear Set/w/Wound Basses-HL-WB-# of sets-12
Heavy medium Gauge Linear Set/w/Wound Basses-HML-WB-# of sets-21
Medium Gauge Linear Set/w/Wound Basses-ML-WB-# of sets-20

If anyone only uses NW (no wound) sets, maybe we can get together and sort something out . . .

I understand why Sheldra took down those pages. She doesn't want to deal with filling orders from the web site and those pages have the "Add to Cart" buttons which makes a mess of things.

FWIW, you can get to some of the old content on web.archive.org. For example, here's the reentrant unwound page:
https://web.archive.org/web/20180121093659/http://www.southcoastukes.com/uku-nw.htm

Unfortunately, the tension/key charts don't seem to have been archived.

For my part, I would also like to help, but I told her I can't do $3k+ for the lot. Frankly, I think it would be hard for someone to resell and break even at that price. The wound sets could bring $17/set easy but some of the unwounds went for $10 or less I think.

I see Sheldra added "or make reasonable offer" to her initial post up here. I'm thinking Mezcalero's figure of $2K is closer to the mark. That's $11/set so it's maybe a little low in terms of retail value but maybe fair as "wholesale" and would give the buyer at reasonable chance at recouping. Still too much for me to swing, but maybe a consortium?

The real value of the South Coast Strings is the business itself. Everyone seemed to really like South Coast Strings. I was hoping someone would buy it and continue the business, like Mya-Moe did. Maybe GHS or D'addario might want a boutique operation?

The real value of the South Coast Strings is the business itself. Everyone seemed to really like South Coast Strings. I was hoping someone would buy it and continue the business, like Mya-Moe did. Maybe GHS or D'addario might want a boutique operation?

It would be great if someone would, but doubt it. Have we seen another supplier of strings that had the passion to provide the level of knowledge about their products that Dirk did.

I was really sad to hear that South Coast was ceasing operations. I've used their strings for several years and have always enjoyed them. Having someone take over the SC business would be great but it might be difficult to keep up the depth of info about their strings which was always fascinating. I couldn't swing the entire inventory but these are some of the sets that I've used and the ones I would be interested in:

Medium gauge Ukulele Set/No Wound Strings-MU-NW
South Medium Gauge Ukulele Set/No Wound Strings-SMU-NW
Heavy Gauge Ukulele Set/No Wound Strings-HU-NW
Medium Gauge Linear Set/w/Wound Basses-ML-WB

If this is still going on, I would be interested in up to 6 sets of Medium Linear strings, ML WB. Please let me know, and thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom