A new toy: Kalimba

Jo3x

Reaction score
For those don't know what's a Kalimba, here is a nice Kalimba cover of Kiss the Train: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgo_1OtePfQ&t=67s

I get to know this small instrument when I search uke videos on Youtube (maybe they are somehow related).

I bought this as a birthday gift to my wife, and I hope she can spend more time on holding this than a phone.

Btw: it has a built-in pick-up.

IMG_2645.jpg
IMG_2646.jpg

Reminded me of this songsketch, using a Kalimba as a smartphone. It's in Dutch, but there should be a translated subtitle somewhere: .

Depends on the soundbox, and Hokema in Germany even makes one built into a small drum, called the Sansula, which is plenty loud. Those ones, and the Hugh Tracey ones above are more expensive though - think price of a simple but good uke.

When I was a kid in grade school the teacher called it a "thumb piano". Of course that was a long time ago—but in the same galaxy.

Sort of a scaled up music box part with your fingers taking the place of the roller with set studs. (I'm sure there are names for all of them.)

I bought one back in 1983 before heading off to college. I haven't played it lately but used to enjoy playing it in bed before going to sleep.

There was a student from Nigeria in my dorm who was pleasantly surprised to see a kalimba in the US. He played it with an enchanting syncopation & groove that I've never come close to emulating!

Kalimbas, like ukes, are all about who's doing the plucking!

Aldon

When I play my kalimba, I place it on a hard surface (like a kitchen counter or wooden table). Really amps the volume!
Jan D.

Congolese band Konono N° 1 play only these (they call them mbira) but over a distorted sound system, and the result is a trance-like music they call 'Congotronics'.

Very cool gift!
I'd completely forgotten about these instruments. My niece had one that I played around with a bit. I thought about getting one for myself but never did. They are very cool though.. I've also seen the much larger versions.

I bought this as a birthday gift to my wife, and I hope she can spend more time on holding this than a phone.

Btw: it has a built-in pick-up.

View attachment 111789
View attachment 111790

So I am curious now. I looked these up and they intrigued me. Is that a stock photo, or the actual kalimba you received? It looks very pretty.

I wonder if you'd be so kind as to post a short review of this instrument? I presume it is this model being sold here:

https://www.amazon.com/Kalimba-Perf...ssional-models/dp/B079JMMNXN/ref=pd_sbs_267_2

Thanks,

bratsche

So I am curious now. I looked these up and they intrigued me. Is that a stock photo, or the actual kalimba you received? It looks very pretty.

I wonder if you'd be so kind as to post a short review of this instrument? I presume it is this model being sold here:

https://www.amazon.com/Kalimba-Perf...ssional-models/dp/B079JMMNXN/ref=pd_sbs_267_2

Thanks,

bratsche

Hi Bratsche,

The pictures are the actual one that I received. I took those pictures with my phone.

And yes, that's the model I bought, I bought the version with pick-up.

Thanks,
Jo

I've got one of those in a closet somewhere... along with a doumbek, a tin whistle, a tabor pipe,
a tiny ocarina and some recorders... The Kalimba is OK but it's a fairly limited folk instrument at best.

-- Gary

Reviving this thread as I’m very inspired to get one to play this!

Check out this amazing play and she’s giving the tabs too.

It does seems easy though and apparently just like an ukulele, there’s plenty of wood variations to choose from.

I did end up getting one too; I just kept a search tab open on eBay until there was a nice one with a very low BIN price and grabbed it (It's the same one as the OP bought, but without a pickup -plenty loud enough for me!)

It's got a nice sound, and is fun and relaxing to noodle around with when I don't feel like plucking or bowing something. ;-)

bratsche

So much fun. My daughter wants her own now.
I can't memorise a song on any other instrument but this seems a little more straight forward, for me anyway.

I had a kalimba when I was a kid. You can get some very painful blisters on your thumbs from those things :rolleyes:

FWIW, this place for kalimbas is like HMS for ukulele players: https://www.kalimbamagic.com/ He also has an email newsletter you can sign up for/

We've had a Hugh Tracy alto kalimba for years and we've bought less expensive ones, too. The Tracy ones sound a *lot* better and are much easier to play.

Top Bottom