Serenade (One of my biggest pet peeves)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aldrine Guerrero

Ukulele Underground Staff
Reaction score
In a tiny rock in the middle of the sea :D
Since I let out the story behind Bandito Tyler, I guess I should let another story be known...

Harana by: Parokya ni Edgar
...also known as SERENADE... by... let's talk about this part.

One of my favorite bands of all time is the Filipino band "Parokya ni Edgar" They're very versatile as far as genres of music that they touch, and that's what really impressed me about them. They're hilarious if you can understand tagalog. Awesome awesome band.

Back in high school, they released an album called burugustuydugudustuy (The sound effect that an explosion makes hahaha) and with that album came the song "Harana"

One of my best friends Kristine Guzman was OBSESSED with this song. She showed it to me as a printout from online along with the chords to play it. She told me that if I learned to play this song, chicks would be all over me (whoo hooo!) so I quickly went to work. She suggested that I TRANSLATE THE SONG so that people can understand what it means. I got to that as soon as I could also. I translated it and made it fit into the song so that you can sing it both in tagalog AND english. The english part wasnt a direct translation of the song but it fitted in there musically. So I wrote in a couple of lines to make it fit.

All throughout high school I played this song waiting for all the "chicks who would be all over me" that never came. I kept playing it anyway because I really fell in love with the tune.

Seth Macomber, the keyboard player for One Time (our original band that included Ryan and Danyo) heard this song every lunch period in high school and suggested that we played it for our band (One Time) so I said "Ehh... ok whatever" hahah So we played it for our shows during the glory days of One Time.

Years later MySpace came into fruition. I jumped on the bandwagon and started a MySpace music site. At suite 409 (Our old Honolulu residence) I asked Danyo if he could play engineer for me because I wanted to record "Serenade" and put it up on my site. So I did a guitar track and vocal track for it. All was good.

...except for the fact that NO ONE ever used to visit my MySpace page...

...thus any trace of me ever playing or recording "Serenade" was lost.

Later, Danyo asked if he could use the guitar track that I did and record "Serenade" for himself and I said "yeah sure dude, go ahead" All was good.

...no seriously it was ALL GOOD.

Danyo had a lot of traffic on his site and everyone was listening and downloading the song "Serenade... by: Danyo Cummings" It was all over. People were starting their own myspace music sites after he took down the song and people would upload it to their own sites. Some people even downloaded it from LimeWire. Crazy how word spreads eh?

It spread out BUT since the song was spread as "Serenade" by Danyo... people were starting to assume that he wrote the song (and not Parokya ni Edgar) but we've seen this phenomenon before. We call it the "You don't miss your water" Phenomenon.

No one wanted to believe that this song wasn't written by Danyo. Even when they eventually found out that it was originally written by PnE, they still insisted that he wrote the translation. Danyo CANNOT speak tagalog nor did he translate this song.

My connection with the song started diminishing...

So it became a REALLY big pet peeve for me whenever people would address this song as "written by Danyo Cummings"

It's mostly because this song meant a lot to me and I feel that I lost my connection with it. Wah.

Danyo is my partner in crime and he understands this as well.

So yeah... I just wanted to let that be known and maybe we can douse the fire that was spread.

fortunately the first time i heard the english translation to this song, it was YOU doing it. and obviously, by your understanding of the words and the music, i could tell that you did the work behind the translation. hell, you even said so in your video. thats why it blew me away as i was reading some of the comments how adamant people were in stating that danyo wrote that song hahaha.

all i can say is "they must not be the sharpest marbles in the drawer".

personally, i think you did a great job at both translating (sort of) and converting to ukulele. so much that i made it a point to learn to play it (which i did).

but as a fan of PNE, are you by chance also a fan of the original eraserheads? when elly was still the lead singer? if so, i would love to see your ukulele interpretations of ANY of the songs off the ultraelectromagneticpop or cutterpillow albums.

fortunately the first time i heard the english translation to this song, it was YOU doing it. and obviously, by your understanding of the words and the music, i could tell that you did the work behind the translation. hell, you even said so in your video. thats why it blew me away as i was reading some of the comments how adamant people were in stating that danyo wrote that song hahaha.

all i can say is "they must not be the sharpest marbles in the drawer".

personally, i think you did a great job at both translating (sort of) and converting to ukulele. so much that i made it a point to learn to play it (which i did).

but as a fan of PNE, are you by chance also a fan of the original eraserheads? when elly was still the lead singer? if so, i would love to see your ukulele interpretations of ANY of the songs off the ultraelectromagneticpop or cutterpillow albums.

Of course I am. Almost any song from the ultraelectromagneticpop album and the circus album. I really love playing "Ang huling el bimbo" and "Pare Ko" good stuff. They were one of my earlier musical inspirations

"pare ko" and "ang huling el bimbo" are probably my two most favorite songs from them EVER... with a close second being "poor man's grave". ive actually kinda tried pare ko, using the G Cadd9 that you used on harana. but its just not the same, even when strumming it the same way i do on guitar.

any plans on doing a video on any of those songs in the near future?

Attachments

• WUC_06.jpg
    WUC_06.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 5
  • WUC_05.jpg
    WUC_05.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 8
  • WUC_03.jpg
    WUC_03.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 6
  • WUC_01.jpg
    WUC_01.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 6
  • WUC_02.jpg
    WUC_02.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 5
Aldrine you sound like a grumpy old man. Who cares if people think Danyo wrote it. lol. We know you were responsible for it.

Now everybody thinks he wrote that gyptian song too. Hahaha. I wonder if Gyptian is as mad as you?

hahaha i remember seeing on one youtube video arguing this point. the guy kept insisting that danyo translated and wrote it, but u tried convincing him that u translated it for danyo. kinda funny. u seemed pretty mad tho haha. but this does happen with a lot of songs, especially with covers and what not.

Attachments

• ALA_0028_2.jpg
    ALA_0028_2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 33
  • P9130682.JPG
    P9130682.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 39
  • ALA_0027.jpg
    ALA_0027.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 36
  • ALA_0164.JPG
    ALA_0164.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 31
  • ALA_0121.JPG
    ALA_0121.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 35
  • ALA_0088.JPG
    ALA_0088.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 38
  • ALA_0156.JPG
    ALA_0156.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 38
  • P9130745.jpg
    P9130745.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 38
  • P6240601.jpg
    P6240601.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 48
  • P9130747.JPG
    P9130747.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 55
haha wow Aldrine, im guessing this bothered you a little bit for some time.

i honestly thought you wrote the song the first time i heard you play it. then i watched the video again and heard that PnE did the song.

but like most things, come and go, it'll pass. people will hear about this and the word will spread and the correction shall be made.

Aldrine...the first time I ever saw or heard about Harana (Serenade) was when I saw you do a lesson in iamhawaii.com, so I was also surprised when I saw Serenade by Danyo on YouTube. I don't really know any other songs from PnE except Mr. Suave. By the way, can you play that on the uke:D

The "You Don't Miss Your Water" phenomenon hahaha... i guess thats what happens when you cover songs that most people aren't familiar with. It bothers me too, you know that. I've always made it clear but people rarely ever take time to read these days. Thank you for introducing me to "Harana" and translating those lyrics. I apologize on behalf of all uninformed listeners

omg NukeDoc and Fred actually went and commented on that video. You guys are too much! hahahaha.

lol i noticed he just checked out ur video aldrine and commented it

triple3, your turn. hahaha.

Attachments

• lattice bracing profile.jpg
    lattice bracing profile.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC_0803.jpg
    DSC_0803.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC_0814.jpg
    DSC_0814.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 29
maybe we can just post a link to this thread?

Attachments

• 100_2414..jpg
    100_2414..jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_2719.jpg
    100_2719.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 100_2709.jpg
    100_2709.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_2710.jpg
    100_2710.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_2711.jpg
    100_2711.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_2712.jpg
    100_2712.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_2717.jpg
    100_2717.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_2715.jpg
    100_2715.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 100_2714.jpg
    100_2714.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_2713.jpg
    100_2713.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Dude you gotta stop that! lol. We're supposed to help people not do what you're doing.

Attachments

• 100_2720.jpg
    100_2720.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:
haha i feel dirty for doing that tho..... the first guy is already sorry lol. and then the second video that aldrine put is a guy that just learned it in 10 minutes before he recorded.

im just ticked about how they play it.... lyrics isnt even right... it just sounds totally off.... but like i said, one of em just learned it so ya... i'll give em constructive criticism tho lol. i think u guys got the point across, especially to the first guy

i was actually just now in the process of trying to record serenade with my guitar and making sure that i was giving credit where credit was due. but alas... i just cant get right! so i gave up. hahaha. dammit i suck. how is it that ive been playing guitar for about 15 years, and ukulele for 4 months, and im better on the uke? hahaha.

i dont see it so bad if they are kinda butchering the song. it takes a lot to actually post up a video of you singing (notice i never include my face in mine). although, i wouldnt wanna post something up that wasnt good enough, i have taken several videos down because looking back at them, i just didnt do the original artist justice by covering it. but thats just a personal preference of mine. im somewhat of a perfectionist... and then you take my brother, who has some awesome material recorded already, has never posted anything up because he still feels its not worthy.

and what happens if one of those guys comes over here to check out the site and sees what's written about them? thats why when i told jesse, i didnt bash on him. instead i actually tried to give him some tips. he later left a comment on one of my vids thanking me for that. ive got references to UU in some of my vids and messages, as do many others. so its not unlikely that eventually all these uke players of all skill levels will eventually find their way here.

wow where did this sudden attack of morality come from? hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom