PDA

View Full Version : banjolin to an 8 string banjolele?

Tink
05-17-2009, 03:56 AM
Hi, i've got a friend who's got a banjo-mandolin (banjolin) and looking at it the other night, it seems like it'd be quite suitable for conversion to an 8 string banjo ukulele!

It's his grandfathers, so i'm not sure what he'd feel about it, but i think he'd like to see it be used, instead of sitting in his loft.

its got a lovely sound and tone as is (horrible out of tune, but hey) and i was wondering how difficult it would be to tune in the standard uke' tuning?

Presumably i'd be easiest to re-string it with uke strings, as mandolins have a different tuning, but what would the 'slave' strings be tuned to? half a note higher/lower like on 12 string guitars, or?

Any help appreciated!

P.S. does anybody make an 8 string ukulele? got myself all curious now... :D

<<<EDIT>>>
its almost exactly like this one! :
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLD-RELIANCE-8-STRING-BANJO_W0QQitemZ270391449064QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20 090516?IMSfp=TL090516126004r13311

Tink
05-18-2009, 09:22 AM
anyone? :(

Yopparai
05-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Maybe a mando player can pitch in, but I bet you could test drive it by tuning it to a "my dog has fleas" in the neighborhood of a mandolin tuning.

I think you would tune the second string at the same pitch.

ukulelebadass
05-28-2009, 07:15 AM
Yes there are a number of 8 string ukuleles out there to puchase. The tuning is GgCcEEAA, with the two lowest strings an octave apart, while the two highest strings are doubled. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to recreate this on a mandolin using the strings for a ukulele, assuming the scale lengths are comparable. I've seen only 8 string tenors, I don't know of any of the smaller sizes.