NUD: Rebel NEO Cedar/Maka

eyedoc

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Another amazing Uke from HMS
I saw this on the homepage and went for it.
It is amazing in sound and workmanship!

IMG_2124.jpgIMG_2127.jpgIMG_2126.jpgIMG_2125.jpgIMG_2128.jpg

That full on back shot is pure uke p*** -- as is the headstock! What gorgeous wood.
It seems that some of the new higher-end Asian imports have really upped their game!

Is this the "thin" body? Doesn't seem to be as radical as some of their designs. It's very good looking. What are the woods?

Not thin body
Cedar
Maka (Thai Rosewood)

It’s not so much the looks, but the sound is amazing. Clear, loud, balanced with lots of sustain (for a Uke, I am a classical guitarist...)
Ron

Congratulations on a beautifulmi instrument. I have been impressed with Rebel, had a chance to play one at a Uke Jam. These Neo series are espiecally nice and I fully agree with you on the tone. The sound samples on HMS of these had me reaching for my wallet.

I must've listened to that sound sample 50 times. If I wasn't swimming in too many ukes, I would have snagged it. Congrats!

Very nice uke. I've been impressed by the the rebel's, and own a alchemist, and a hog. Your's sounded great in the clips, and I was tempted, but I think it would be along the same vein as the alchemist, so I didn't go for it. Nice score!

What a pretty uke, congrats! That's only the 2nd pic of a Rebel I've ever seen, they must be rare.

It’s beauty is very simplistic.
But it is so rewarding to play... i’m surprised nobody has asked me to compare to the moon bird....

It’s beauty is very simplistic.
But it is so rewarding to play... i’m surprised nobody has asked me to compare to the moon bird....

Ok. How does it compare? :)

I never thought you’d ask !
For the purest ukulele players, The rebel will be more satisfying because it has a traditional shape a very balanced ukulele tone, although exceptional in nature. Loud, warm, and crisp at the same time with a great deal of sustain.
The moon bird is a freak. It doesn’t look, smell or act like any ukulele you played before. The fingerboard is outstanding and the tone is more like a baritone and a tenor. Some ears might find the bass notes more prominent than the trebles, making it less balanced than the rebel.
With standard fingerpicking chord melody repoitoire, both work very well.
At this point I would take the rebel for my performances with a clip on pick up sooner than the moon bird due to the enhanced treble response of the rebel, and the tendency for bass notes to amplify better.
I would not want to give up either at this point but if I had to I would keep the rebel
Ron

I never thought you’d ask !
For the purest ukulele players, The rebel will be more satisfying because it has a traditional shape a very balanced ukulele tone, although exceptional in nature. Loud, warm, and crisp at the same time with a great deal of sustain.
The moon bird is a freak. It doesn’t look, smell or act like any ukulele you played before. The fingerboard is outstanding and the tone is more like a baritone and a tenor. Some ears might find the bass notes more prominent than the trebles, making it less balanced than the rebel.
With standard fingerpicking chord melody repoitoire, both work very well.
At this point I would take the rebel for my performances with a clip on pick up sooner than the moon bird due to the enhanced treble response of the rebel, and the tendency for bass notes to amplify better.
I would not want to give up either at this point but if I had to I would keep the rebel
Ron

Ron, thanks for the comparison. I would have never guessed that the Rebel with a cedar top would have better trebble than the spruce top Moon Bird. Just proves once again, the builder is more important than the wood.

Good morning Ron,
I think this calls for a side-by-side audio/video comparison when time permits!

I can do an audio comparison. Will work on it and get some soundcloud links up...
Ron

Ron, interesting to hear your thoughts on how the two compare and look forward to the sound sample. Do you happen to know what strings are on the Moon Bird? Have you tried any others to see if that improves the higher notes?

Hi Eddie,
I put my “go to” strings on, Oasis warm, low G. I think the lower bout design favors more base response in the Moon Bird. It has a unique voice, different from all the other tenors I own,
Ron

Top Bottom