Rolling strings

Nigelapp

Reaction score
I have just bought a Kala comfort edge Tenor. It came strung with Aquila Super Nylgut strings. I love the Ukulele, the strings not so much. One thing I have noticed is that when I bend a string, instead of it sliding across the frets, it rolls and ends up rolling under my fingers. Has anyone else had experience of that happening with these (or any other) strings? It may be poor technique on my behalf, but I haven't had this problem with any other Ukuleles I have played.

Would also love any string recommendations for a cedar topped, rosewood back and sides Tenor Uke. I like Martin strings generally, but as this is my first Tenor, and I am curious to know if anyone else has tried this combination of wood and string.

Sounds like the string is being "gripped" by the fret or the fret-board. Try to analyse which and apply an appropriate amount of friction reduction in the required area ... VERY gentle sanding and re-polishing of the wood or some metal polish on the fret-wires, but do try to keep that off the wood.

Good luck :music:

It happens for all strings across the whole fretboard. I think I will try swapping out the Aquila strings first, before sanding and repolishing the fretboard.

Loyal Aquila Nylgut user and I've never had the strings roll as you describe it if I bend a note.

Top Bottom