Popped String

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
The A string (#1) on my Lanakai banjolele popped last night while I was sitting next to it, reading. It’s tuned to fifths.

I leave my Aquilas long and rolled up on the tuner, so it was still long enough to remount it, but, when I got it just about to A, it popped again—scared the heck oughta me.

No biggy, I guess, I have some fresh ones, though I’m not a fan of changing strings. I don’t play the Lanakai much, so I guess that’s why I’ve waited so long (2 years, 8 months) to restring it. Time flys.

Has this happened to you? :eek:ld:

I had two strings break in one day, and it can be startling. The bridge on a homemade cigar box uke popped off the other day, although I wasn't present at the time.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I certainly don't like the last line of your signature. Although I'm 74, I'm ready to go at least another 74 years. : )

Boy, I had the bridge slip out with a BANG on one of my banjoleles, and I thought for sure I had split the banjo head.
It was okay, but I’m very careful when readjusting the bridge now.

I certainly don’t want that to happen again. :eek:ld:

I had the B string pop on my older concert ukulele. The slot is slightly damaged and now there is a dent on the top. However it has not popped since.
LaCole

I keep a small bead ( 3mm) on most of my sopranos on the "A" string so it wont pop out. It is such a thin string that even with a knot , it could pop out and damage the bridge.
I haven't had a string break in a long time. Never had a string pop out. I started doing it many years ago after reading a post about someones "A" string on their new Kiwaya soprano
popping out and damaging the bridge. I'm not sure if you are talking about a string break or the string pulling out of the slot.

I keep a small bead ( 3mm) on most of my sopranos on the "A" string so it wont pop out. It is such a thin string that even with a knot , it could pop out and damage the bridge.
I haven't had a string break in a long time. Never had a string pop out. I started doing it many years ago after reading a post about someones "A" string on their new Kiwaya soprano
popping out and damaging the bridge. I'm not sure if you are talking about a string break or the string pulling out of the slot.

I was talkin’ ‘bout it breakin’—twice! A long time ago, I had two or three Aquila Reds break too, so I just quit usin’ ‘em.

I think strings are a pain, especially metalic ones. I used slides or valves or keys before I started ukin’. They don’t break or need changing, though the keys need periodic overhaul.

Well, whatever it takes—gotta keep goin’ now. :eek:ld:

The string didn't break. I tried tying another knot, but that didn't work so I had the friction pegs replaced with geared tuners and had the shop put new strings on it.
LaCole

I bought a Sound Smith resonator. The first night I had it, the unbranded nylon A string broke at the end hole. I thought it might have been temperature change. I changed the strings to Aquila super nylgut.

The A string broke again two nights later at the tie hole. This time I was sitting next to the uke stand when it let go with a very loud pop! I think I jumped a foot off of my chair when it happened. Used a magnifying loop and felt around the hole with a string to see if it was a sharp edge or burr causing this. Couldn't see or feel anything sharp.

I didn't much like the Nylgut sound, so I changed to a set of Aquila Sugars. Took two days to s-l-o-w-l-y bring the strings up to full tension. Haven't had a problem since. I like the sound of the Sugars much better as well. Sort of halfway between Nylons and fluorocarbons.

maybe check for a sharp edge on the tuner post... especially with nylguts, I've found they cut easily. If the edge of the hole in the tuner post is even a little sharp, that'll do it. A little bit of filing with a fine needle file will fix it if that's the problem.

I know of many folks in my uke group, who've never changed their strings or only do so when they break. Wouldn't it be noticeable when the strings get worn & the intonation goes off?

When I hardly played guitar, I never changed the strings in 30 years, but now i play 3-4x per week with uke groups, I need to change strings after 3 months. The sound gets duller, intonation goes off & It's harder to tune.

I read somewhere that one should change strings every 6 months, and I did that when I first started. However, it’s not my favorite pastime, so now I put it off (like 2 years) a bit.

With my playing and singing, I don’t think it matters much unless they start to smell. :eek:ld:

I went to a vintage instrument workshop at last year’s World of Bluegrass conference. Charlie Cushman of the Earls of Leicester dropped by to play a late ‘30s banjo that was all-original, including the strings (acquired at an estate action). Charlie started picking away, but at the end of the song, he said, “I might need a tetanus shot.”

:rotfl:

maybe check for a sharp edge on the tuner post... especially with nylguts, I've found they cut easily. If the edge of the hole in the tuner post is even a little sharp, that'll do it. A little bit of filing with a fine needle file will fix it if that's the problem.

Some banjo tail pieces have string holes with rough edges. Use some emery cloth (from the hardware store plumbing dept) rolled into a sharp spike to smooth the holes.

I bought a sample banjo uke that the store decided not to stock because customers reported strings that snapped.

The A string snapped two weeks later. The guitar tech couldn't find his needle file so lined the hole with a bit of melted shrink wrap. He also said that the tiny stress relievers included with some violin strings would also work.

I used emery cloth to smooth both ends of the holes. You can also use the emery cloth to smooth the ends of frets that stick out in dry winter weather.

Two years between changes? Guess the banjo sound masks the age of strings. Haha.

Last edited:
This same thing happened on my Firefly A string. An A string banjolele epidemic?

Top Bottom