question about tenor

jeoyessir

Reaction score
i recently got a tenor ukulele and i was used to my soprano one. and i was wondering if i have to tune the strings any different from the soprano one.
thanks

Is your Soprano tuned to G or D (ADF#B). Most tenors use G tuning (GCEA) and if it's tuned to the latter, the chord shapes will be different.

yeah i tune it as GCEA but i heard tenor ukes were supposed to be tuned different if im not sure its the G string.

The G string can be either high G or low G. I think the majority of players use high G, although it is personal preference. I like both and have a uke in high G and one in low G. :music:

Just note that you have to use a thicker G string if you want to tune to Low G. When you buy your strings, check the package to see if they are for High G or Low G. High G seems to be more common.

–Lori

Also, on many sets, the low-G is a wound string. (the C may also be wound).

Yes, it's usual that the tenor is tuned to the the same pitch as the standard soprano and concert ukes - GCEA. Because the tenor has a greater length, this gives the strings extra tension, which in turn provides more energy translated into the soundboard (top) which comes through as greater volume.

You can't use soprano strings on a tenor: get tenor-specific strings.

Like others said typical tuning for tenor ukes is GCEA - high or low-G of your choice.

One thing I would like to mention is that "tenor" strings are not necessarily used for tenor ukes.
As the tension is higher compared to that of soprano and concert, some ukes may not strong enough to hold tenor strings - sound board between sound hole and bridge might sink gradually to some extent.

As an FYI I know a guy who is using D'addario J65 for his all tenor ukes unless the strength of them look pretty good (thickness of sound board, placement of braces etc).
I haven't tried this though. I even don't know J65 is long enough for tenor ukes.

Cheers,
Terry

Like others said typical tuning for tenor ukes is GCEA - high or low-G of your choice.

One thing I would like to mention is that "tenor" strings are not necessarily used for tenor ukes.
As the tension is higher compared to that of soprano and concert, some ukes may not strong enough to hold tenor strings - sound board between sound hole and bridge might sink gradually to some extent.

As an FYI I know a guy who is using D'addario J65 for his all tenor ukes unless the strength of them look pretty good (thickness of sound board, placement of braces etc).
I haven't tried this though. I even don't know J65 is long enough for tenor ukes.

Cheers,
Terry

I use D'Addario EJ45 classical guitar strings on my tenor. I am happy with them.

After reading this thread, I noticed that my Kala tenor is exhibiting a bit of soundboard sink. Should I be concerned? I love the sound and tension of the Pro Arte strings I installed, but if they'll end up destroying my uke, I'll have to look for other strings, or go back to Aquilas.

I use D'Addario EJ45 classical guitar strings on my tenor. I am happy with them.

Nice info! I have been thinking to try EJ45 or EJ43 to make tension a bit lighter and see if they are still easy enough for me to make nuance/intonation. I have just received five sets of J71 from UU though :p

I noticed that my Kala tenor is exhibiting a bit of soundboard sink. Should I be concerned?

I would say it depends. It would be ok if sinking stopped at some ballanced level.
My Kamaka concert (70's) also has it. The uke was already like that with Kamaka strings when I got it ages ago.
I have been using Martin's common clear strings since then and sinking has not grown.
I am testing Martin's fluoro-carbon (IIRC) for several months now, and it seems fine so far.

Last edited:
The sinking on my Kala seems to have balanced out. There was a little of it when I had the stock Aquilas on..I just don't want the soundboard to come apart. This is my first real uke and it's got some sentimental value LOL. Hopefully the Pro Artes I ordered for my KoAloha tenor don't cause any soundboard sink.

Top Bottom