Help:Strap buttons on a soprano-real world experience.

Astein2006

Reaction score
Ok so i am considering getting strap buttons on my soon to be ordered Outdoor soprano ukulele. Sometimes I just feel lazy and would rather not hold have to hold my ukulele. Who here has buttons on their sopranos? Do you have one or two buttons? Also what kind of strap do you use?
I have a Kamaka soprano so I have no experience with strap buttons.
Any advice and real world experience is appreciated!

I play 90% without straps, but I’ve got double strap buttons installed on my Martin, Kamaka, and Kanile’a sopranos. It’s great to have when you need them and they’re not in the way or cause any issues when you play without a strap. I don’t like tying around the headstock cause it gets in the way and I don’t like how it looks.

When I’m on the computer or lazy to carry, so sometimes I just wear the soprano like an accessory. When I need some inspiration or want to practice a lick, it’s right in front of me dangling.

I have two strap buttons on all my ukuleles, regardless of size. That is my personal preference. One on the tail block and one on the heel of the neck. I don't like tying a strap to the headstock or nut area. Two of my ukuleles have MiSi pick-ups, so that takes the place of the strap button on the tail block. I use a Strap Keeper to keep the strap from coming off the pick-up. Works very well. I do have one ukulele that I wasn't able to add a strap button to the heel of the neck because of the way it was made. The maker of the ukulele, Gary Gill did not recommend drilling into the neck. I searched around and found a gizmo called a Uke Loop that allowed me to attach a strap in the neck area. It's not the most aesthetically pleasing method, but it works.

This is my personal preference. I don't always use the strap when I'm at home, in a chair, just messing around. But then I play with a group, or standing, I always use the strap. My favorite straps are Sherrins Threads, the one inch version, ordered from Amazon.

I play 90% without straps, but I’ve got double strap buttons installed on my Martin, Kamaka, and Kanile’a sopranos. It’s great to have when you need them and they’re not in the way or cause any issues when you play without a strap. I don’t like tying around the headstock cause it gets in the way and I don’t like how it looks.

When I’m on the computer or lazy to carry, so sometimes I just wear the soprano like an accessory. When I need some inspiration or want to practice a lick, it’s right in front of me dangling.
Thank you for your input and advice. This is the way I feel I just wanted some real experience.

I have two strap buttons on all my ukuleles, regardless of size. That is my personal preference. One on the tail block and one on the heel of the neck. I don't like tying a strap to the headstock or nut area. Two of my ukuleles have MiSi pick-ups, so that takes the place of the strap button on the tail block. I use a Strap Keeper to keep the strap from coming off the pick-up. Works very well. I do have one ukulele that I wasn't able to add a strap button to the heel of the neck because of the way it was made. The maker of the ukulele, Gary Gill did not recommend drilling into the neck. I searched around and found a gizmo called a Uke Loop that allowed me to attach a strap in the neck area. It's not the most aesthetically pleasing method, but it works.

This is my personal preference. I don't always use the strap when I'm at home, in a chair, just messing around. But then I play with a group, or standing, I always use the strap. My favorite straps are Sherrins Threads, the one inch version, ordered from Amazon.

This is the way Ive been feeling. I don't really like the look of the tie off at the headstock. I was just concerned with neck dive if I let go of the ukulele while its strapped up. Does that happen to you if you let go of the neck or is it pretty balanced? Thank you for the strap recommendation. I will definitely check them out.

All of my ukes that I play standing have straps. My reso has a heel button, but the rest are tied at the headstock.
I find that I can strum first position chords without a strap, but for any closed chords or melody picking, I want a strap. I fasten the strap above the 1st and 4th tuning pegs so it won't interfere with 1st position chords. I have a few different straps made from old belts or woven leather boot laces. I wear the strap over my right shoulder rather than putting it over my head.
ukestraps.jpg

I think this guy went a bit overboard.
Uke strap.jpg

I'd love to find some more of these lovely South American woven belts.
tiple.jpg

Last edited:
I have strap buttons on some concerts and tenors, but none on sopranos unless the came that way. Several people I know use straps on sopranos. I have two buttons, with the second one on the base of the neck. They're cheap and easy to install.

This is the way Ive been feeling. I don't really like the look of the tie off at the headstock. I was just concerned with neck dive if I let go of the ukulele while its strapped up. Does that happen to you if you let go of the neck or is it pretty balanced? Thank you for the strap recommendation. I will definitely check them out.
Not so much neck dive, as just more comfort moving about on the fretboard. For me, the balance feels right with two strap buttons. I'm often arranging music on a music stand (both seated & standing), or writing stuff on the sheet music. With a strap, I don't have to worry about dropping my ukulele, or having to put it down.

Ok so i am considering getting strap buttons on my soon to be ordered Outdoor soprano ukulele. Sometimes I just feel lazy and would rather not hold have to hold my ukulele. Who here has buttons on their sopranos? Do you have one or two buttons? Also what kind of strap do you use?
I have a Kamaka soprano so I have no experience with strap buttons.
Any advice and real world experience is appreciated!

I always use a strap. It lends itself to consistency, to better hand ergonomics, to more resonance because of less muffling. Also, I only have two hands. If I'm lighting a cigar with my hands, where do I put my ukulele? Between my knees? Also, if I take a break and take my pipe from my mouth and grab a beer...again, where do I put my ukulele?

I always use two buttons, on the heel and on the tail. My strap of choice are hand-crafted Medina straps. These straps are beautiful, but waaaaay over the top for a ukulele. They are so solid and substantial. I could use them to cherry-pick engines from refurbished cars. Or, if I had been invited, I could have prevented the Infinity Wars by beating Thanos to death with my Medina strap...festooned of course with stylized rosettes.

I like Sherrin’s Threads too. I have a coupla inch and a half ones, but I’ve never seen inch ones. I think I’d like those. :eek:ld:

I always use a strap. It lends itself to consistency, to better hand ergonomics, to more resonance because of less muffling. Also, I only have two hands. If I'm lighting a cigar with my hands, where do I put my ukulele? Between my knees? Also, if I take a break and take my pipe from my mouth and grab a beer...again, where do I put my ukulele?

I always use two buttons, on the heel and on the tail. My strap of choice are hand-crafted Medina straps. These straps are beautiful, but waaaaay over the top for a ukulele. They are so solid and substantial. I could use them to cherry-pick engines from refurbished cars. Or, if I had been invited, I could have prevented the Infinity Wars by beating Thanos to death with my Medina strap...festooned of course with stylized rosettes.
Ha!! Great advice. Especially the cigar and beer reference. Extremely important. I'm thinking a Sherrin's Threads strap with the birds of paradise on there. Very festive.

Ha!! Great advice. Especially the cigar and beer reference. Extremely important. I'm thinking a Sherrin's Threads strap with the birds of paradise on there. Very festive.

I have straps on all my ukes, from sopranos all the way up to baritones. I only do the two button method after trying everytning else. There is a reason most guitar players do it this way, it works best. I own many of Sherrins Threads straps, super high quality with a great selection of colors and patterns.

I have the one inch version of that one on my Loprinzi. I have the Peacock strap on my KoAloha, a blue Honu on my Islander, and the tan Kokopelli on my Gary Gill.

I like Sherrin’s Threads too. I have a coupla inch and a half ones, but I’ve never seen inch ones. I think I’d like those. :eek:ld:

Amazon carries the one inch as well as the 1.5 inch versions. There are a few more patterns available in the i.5 inch version that they don't carry in the one inch. Uke Republic also carries them.

Last edited:
I keep reading about the neck dive phobia. What is worse, you drop the neck drops you are playing and the uke is still hanging on your shoulders on the strap, or the the sickening noise a uke makes when it bounces on concrete or a hard wood floor because you did not fit a strap? If you have problems which cause you to drop the neck, you probably need a strap more to stop the uke hitting the floor than you need it for the music.
We are talking about a $200 plastic uke, not a Kamaka or Kanilea. If you want to be real world, you are going to take your plastic uke on some adventures outside your house, without a heavy case, and you are going to need a strap to carry it while you are hiking or walking or riding your bicycle etc.. Head drop and ease of playing are only half the issues you need to think about for a strap on an OU. When you go out to a venue for a jam or festival or fun don't really need to put the uke in a case while you have lunch or a coffee, you can keep it safe and secure on your shoulders, hands free without lugging a case. Then when you finally sit down to drink the coffee, you have your uke right there ready to play a tune in between mouthfuls of coffee and chocolate cake (which you can also eat with an OU because you can hose it off when you get home). Fitting a strap to your OU is going to increase the availability for playing and may change your entire ukulele life.
Wise and true words. My wife and I just bought a travel trailer recently and we have plenty of trips planned with the kids. So this is going to see lots of campfires, hikes, trips to the beach etc. You make very valid points which is the reason I chose an OU ukulele. Hence the reason I wanted a strap for it. So I can be active and still play if I want. My 4 year old daughter has recently taken to my Kamaka soprano when I take it out to play. I start to cringe when she gets near a table corner or hardwood floor. So hence another reason for the OU, plus a Dolphin for her.

I have the one inch version of that one on my Loprinzi. I have the Peacock strap on my KoAloha, a blue Honu on my Islander, and the tan Kokopelli on my Gary Gill.

Amazon carries the one inch as well as the 1.5 inch versions. There are a few more patterns available in the i.5 inch version that they don't carry in the one inch. Uke Republic also carries them.

Love the tan Kokopelli. Was thinking that one for the OU bottle green soprano.

I have straps on all my ukes, from sopranos all the way up to baritones. I only do the two button method after trying everytning else. There is a reason most guitar players do it this way, it works best. I own many of Sherrins Threads straps, super high quality with a great selection of colors and patterns.

Thanks for the real world advice on the two button method. I have been leaning heavily toward that conclusion. So it's nice to have someone who's tried many methods.

I played guitar for almost 50 years and was very used to having 2 strap buttons. My first uke was a soprano and it had 2 strap buttons, neck heel and tail. Now I have tenors and bass ukes, all with 2 strap buttons, I also don't like tying on the headstock. I use 1" to 1 1/2" all leather straps with a rough inside to help with neck dive, which has only happened with my basses, never a uke.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 9 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
Top Bottom