Info about uke, please

FinnP

Reaction score
I've never seen this ukulele/bridge style before.
Does anyone know the brand?

Attachments

• uke 2.jpg
    uke 2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 106
  • ny uk.jpg
    ny uk.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
More pictures - the size of the first one, not the second - would help identify it. #1 is about 690px tall, while #2 is less than half that size. I always post at 1500px on the long side. The site sorts them out so they will fit.

Its a floating bridge. The bridge shouldn't be glued on and is held in place with the string tension. Standard practice on Banjo's. Not common on ukuleles but you see it on guitars sometimes particularly arch top guitars.

I suspect its a custom build. An advantage is that you can move it as you like to adjust the intonation.

I don't have the uke in hand and got the pictures from a friend. It has a zero fret and there's label inside, but it's hard to read.

Attachments

• uke 4.jpg
    uke 4.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 44
Finn, is it possible that the original bridge popped off, and that instead of replacing it, the owner decided to simply grab the "floating" style bridge, slip it in there at the location where the most accurate intonation would result, and then create essentially a "notched" or "slotted" lower bout to anchor the strings in? Kind of an imaginative way to approach things!

Last edited:
It's a cheap uke that had a screwed-on bridge (you can see the holes). Somebody took it off and used a banjo bridge (floating bridge) with a jerryrigged tailpiece. If I had to guess it probably sounds like crap.

It's a cheap uke that had a screwed-on bridge (you can see the holes). Somebody took it off and used a banjo bridge (floating bridge) with a jerryrigged tailpiece. If I had to guess it probably sounds like crap.

Come on, now. Down't hold back. No fear of offending the poster. :D

Someone did a nice job carving that bridge.

Last edited:
Come on, now. Down't hold back. No fear of offending the poster. :D

Someone did a nice job carving that bridge.

Hahahahahaha, Jerry! River_Driver is definitely more adept at the art of "tough love" than I am !! And he is spot on, I do believe! :)

In trying to figure out this instrument's beginnings, we should ignore the bridge. It seems clear it is not original.

Top Bottom