Serious stuff

Timbuck

Reaction score
I had to remove this bridge ..Don't ask why !:( ..I've done it before "a few times" so I was all geared up for it..Cardboard mask, Stanley Fatmax Dowel saw, and a lump of copper for applying heat...Works every time takes less than ten minutes and it peels off like removing a band aid...and no damage to the FP
Pic's speak for themselves.
IMG_1308.jpgIMG_1309.jpgIMG_1312.jpgIMG_1313.jpgIMG_1318.jpg

Was it Titebond glue or hide glue ? or something else? Thanks

I've pulled fretboards that I glued down with epoxy but I've never glued down a bridge with epoxy.

Yep. Like most good plastics epoxy softens when heated. Probably a good time to remind people not to mix glues. For example pva is used as a release medium when casting epoxy. Can lead to a big sad if using epoxy to fix a join previously botched with pva.

As a callow youth, I thought Araldite was the solution to all possible problems where adhesive was required. Fixed the handle of a china teacup with Araldite. Almost invisible fix - looked great in the china cabinet. Girlfriend's posh aunty came for afternoon tea. Lifted the teacup by the handle to her lips. The Araldite softened due to heat. She ended up wearing the very hot tea. As if that wasn't disgraceful enough, I broke into hysterical laughter. Had to find a new girlfriend shortly thereafter.
Miguel

How do You heat the copper and how hot ? Thanks again.
I use the blowtorch..polish the copper on the end with abrasive then heat up until it goes bluefish gray pick it up with tongs and place carefully over what's left of the bridge for about 40 seconds...remove copper block and the sliver of the bridge lifts and peels off easily with the point of a knife.

Nice method
It's kinda sad when we get really good at rework....not that I've ever had to fix a mistake :uhoh:

Top Bottom