Strap users: one button or two??

Astein2006

Reaction score
Do you use two buttons or one and tie off at the headstock and why? I am getting an OU soprano and plan on hiking with it as well as taking care of my kids while playing my uke(stay at home dad). Not sure which way to strap it on.
Thanks for the suggestions!

I started out tying the headstock. Then I used a button strap at the headstock. I found that the strap just gets in my way when it's like that. Not for actually playing the ukulele, but in general.

My hand just feels freer when using the fretboard with the strap attached to the heel. But that is probably all psychological.

The tradeoff is having the uke turn (flop) forward when it's attached on the downward-facing side of the heel. It's no big deal, just a tad annoying.

Some ukuleles you can attach at the front facing part of the heal. (MyaMoe comes to mind.) Some people like to attach a pin to the bottom of the heel. I don't like that at all. Especially putting the uke in a case.

You can always try tying the neck. (I recommend the short button strap instead of the shoelace.) And if you don't like it, retrofit a heel button. Or get two buttons installed and try both ways. You don't HAVE to use the heel button if you prefer tying your uke off.

I always use two strap buttons, if my ukes don't have two, I add them myself. A strap tied to the headstock slips back off my left shoulder. I use leather straps without buckles and a rough inside to hold it in place.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 9 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Two for me. As most of my instruments have pickups one end of the strap attaches to the jack pin and the other end I prefer on the heel of the neck.

566BEBF2-BB12-479D-A88A-F376AEFDE6F8.jpg

My smaller lightweight instruments, ukuleles, mandolin, etc., are all tied off at the headstock, most of my heavier instruments, jumbo acoustic guitar, electric guitar, banjo and bass etc. use a button (or other fastening) at the heel.

For me it's all down to balance of the instrument and style of playing. There's no "fixed rule". Try both and be prepared to switch from one configuration to the other if it suits you better.

YMMV ... :music:

Do yourself a favor and get two buttons installed. You can then experiment with the strap attached to both buttons or tied to the headstock and attached to the bottom button. Done

I use two pins for tenor and baritone and one pin for soprano,and concert. I tie the headstock end between the tuners rather than just behind the nut as they're more out of the way there.

I had two pins installed on both of my ukes but I only attach to the bottom pin. I tie off to the headstock. For me, attaching to the headstock seems to give a bit more support to the fretboard.

Two buttons on all my ukuleles. No matter what the size. Secure, comfortable, balanced, and no interference with fretting hand.

I did learn the hard way.....make sure you or whoever installs your strap button on the heel of the neck, puts it in the right location & at the right angle. Make sure your ukulele still fits in your hard case with the strap button in place.

I tie the strap to the headstock, you can put a button on the end of the body and tie the headstock end off, if you don't like that, you can add another button on the heel, if you add 2 buttons, then decide to tie off at the headstock, you have a useless button and/or hole in the heel of your neck. I don't like to drill and add useless stuff to my uke.

I've found rather than tieing to the headstock, that using a loop around the fourth sting tuner and then a wrap around the first string tuner is much easier to hold the uke and remove the strap when you want to. I use Para cord for a strap and find that works just fine.

My smaller lightweight instruments, ukuleles, mandolin, etc., are all tied off at the headstock, most of my heavier instruments, jumbo acoustic guitar, electric guitar, banjo and bass etc. use a button (or other fastening) at the heel.

For me it's all down to balance of the instrument and style of playing. There's no "fixed rule". Try both and be prepared to switch from one configuration to the other if it suits you better.

YMMV ... :music:

Do you find any undue stress on the neck when its tied off? Why on your lighter instruments do you tie off at the headstock? Say with a soprano.

I use two pins for tenor and baritone and one pin for soprano,and concert. I tie the headstock end between the tuners rather than just behind the nut as they're more out of the way there.
Why do you tie off at the headstock with your sopranos? Does the place where you tie off put stress on the tuners?

I had two pins installed on both of my ukes but I only attach to the bottom pin. I tie off to the headstock. For me, attaching to the headstock seems to give a bit more support to the fretboard.

Do you tie off just behind the nut or between the tuners? do you notice any undue stress on the uke, say with a soprano?

I tie the strap to the headstock, you can put a button on the end of the body and tie the headstock end off, if you don't like that, you can add another button on the heel, if you add 2 buttons, then decide to tie off at the headstock, you have a useless button and/or hole in the heel of your neck. I don't like to drill and add useless stuff to my uke.
On your sopranos do you tie off just behind the nut or between the tuners? Do you find it puts any undue stress on the neck?

I do the same for concerts, (not playing any other size these days.) One pin, and tie between the tuners, so it's out of the way.

I have two ukes with buttons - my custom Donaldson, and my Ohana Concert. Both have pickups, hence the button on the bottom, and both have buttons at the heel - Rick Turner installed the one on the Donaldson, and Mim did the Ohana. I use Uke Leash straps for both (Thanks, Lori!) with leather button adapters.

But the funny thing is, I only use a strap when I'll be playing a 1+ hour gig. When I'm doing that, I have to move around a lot, sitting and standing, because of the steadily increasing arthritis in my back, hip, and knee, and sometimes I need both hands to adjust a stand, a mic, or song sheets.

If I'm at a jam, or song circle where I'm going to be able to sit, or a shorter duration gig, I don't use a strap at all.

The only time I've ever dropped a uke was when I was doing the silly behind the head thing, and lost my grip. the finish was a really thick gloss, and it chipped at the binding. No change in sound, or playability, and if you aren't looking for it, you don't see it. It was a learning moment, and since I'm not Roy Smeck or Stu Fuchs, I don't screw around like that anymore.

So, to get back to the reason for the thread, I say that if you are getting a strap button, get them both. When you need to use them, you will be glad you did. Years back, while playing guitar, I noticed that when I tied the strap to the head/neck, some of my guitars sounded different. It turned out that the intonation was changing with that slight bit of weight, and I had to retune constantly. While the weight of a ukulele probably won't do that, I'm not going to bother finding out.

-Kurt​

So, to get back to the reason for the thread, I say that if you are getting a strap button, get them both. When you need to use them, you will be glad you did. Years back, while playing guitar, I noticed that when I tied the strap to the head/neck, some of my guitars sounded different. It turned out that the intonation was changing with that slight bit of weight, and I had to retune constantly. While the weight of a ukulele probably won't do that, I'm not going to bother finding out.

-Kurt​

I haven't had the problem with intonation changing, (yet, at least), and wonder how many have? Something else to keep my eye on.

I use a strap, (usually a Uke Leash), but usually play sitting as well, so maybe that helps alleviate some of the weight issues that Kurt experienced with his guitars? Or maybe it's just a uke vs. guitar thing. Or maybe I've just been lucky so far.

I do have 2 strap buttons on a couple ukuleles, but so far have preferred to tie to the headstock instead of using the 2nd button. Maybe I'll go experiment again after reading Kurt's post.

I have two ukes with buttons - my custom Donaldson, and my Ohana Concert. Both have pickups, hence the button on the bottom, and both have buttons at the heel - Rick Turner installed the one on the Donaldson, and Mim did the Ohana. I use Uke Leash straps for both (Thanks, Lori!) with leather button adapters.

But the funny thing is, I only use a strap when I'll be playing a 1+ hour gig. When I'm doing that, I have to move around a lot, sitting and standing, because of the steadily increasing arthritis in my back, hip, and knee, and sometimes I need both hands to adjust a stand, a mic, or song sheets.

If I'm at a jam, or song circle where I'm going to be able to sit, or a shorter duration gig, I don't use a strap at all.

The only time I've ever dropped a uke was when I was doing the silly behind the head thing, and lost my grip. the finish was a really thick gloss, and it chipped at the binding. No change in sound, or playability, and if you aren't looking for it, you don't see it. It was a learning moment, and since I'm not Roy Smeck or Stu Fuchs, I don't screw around like that anymore.

-Kurt​
I was sort of worried about undue stress on the neck, intonation issues etc. I know it will be on a soprano, so not a lot of weight but still will it affect it?!?

I tried a Uke leash, but maybe because the strap's so thin it felt like it was cutting into my neck.

I have a button on the bottom and tie at headstock. I'd thought about putting between tuners but it seemed like having it slide around in there would throw the uke out of tune. I did put it between tuners on my slotted headstock and that was nice though.

With the strap on headstock, for me it gives less pressure on neck (old whiplash injury) and just holds the uke a little steadier for me.

Top Bottom