PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Your unwanted ukuleles #playitforward

thaidye39
09-16-2018, 06:02 PM
Hi all.

I met a couple (in San Diego) who are in the very early stages of providing instruments to those who would benefit from them. Their movement is #playitforward.

Im actually borrowing their personal guitar as Im moving back to the east coast in 6 weeks. We talked about my struggles with cancer and the anxiety that Ive been facing daily and how much music has helped me to heal. Their goal is to provide individuals in all sorts of situations with the gift of music.

At any rate, theyve now been able to #playitforward 6 instruments (and lend one to me).

If anyone has any beginning or unloved instruments lying around that theyd like to donate (I could pay some out of my own pocket to help cover shipping), Id be so grateful to be able to help them in their project.

The music community is so moving.

Thanks for reading and take care.

Croaky Keith
09-16-2018, 11:16 PM
Sorry to hear about your struggles with cancer - these initiatives are brilliant - my own pre used starter ukes went to an old folks home near where I live - it's great to be able to help out those less fortunate than oneself in this way.

ukeinfused
09-17-2018, 04:54 AM
Love stuff like this, thx for posting.
Can you provide link, website or FB page, address?

thaidye39
09-17-2018, 06:24 AM
They are hoping to launch an Instagram and Facebook within the week. The ad I responded to on Craigslist is deleted, but here are three more instruments they’re rehoming:

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/search/msa?query=playitforward

And below is the guitar I’m borrowing (a really nice sounding seagull m series).

Martinlover
09-17-2018, 07:01 AM
What a beautiful idea.

thaidye39
09-17-2018, 08:03 AM
It is such a beautiful idea. I’m so moved by it and would really love to help them.

ukeinfused
09-17-2018, 05:44 PM
I love that it looks like they'd like the idea to catch on other places...

frianm
09-18-2018, 01:14 AM
The folk in this community are indeed wonderful and generous. I have been able to bring about 15 instruments to a shanty town church community in Lima, Peru, thanks to the generosity of several UU members. I am passionate about making music possible to a wider and wider community. It is such a joy to see new people discover ukuleles.
Bless you all and keep it going.
Ian

thaidye39
09-18-2018, 04:39 AM
The folk in this community are indeed wonderful and generous. I have been able to bring about 15 instruments to a shanty town church community in Lima, Peru, thanks to the generosity of several UU members. I am passionate about making music possible to a wider and wider community. It is such a joy to see new people discover ukuleles.
Bless you all and keep it going.
Ian

Ian, that’s so cool!

Do you have any tips or advice for this project? I’d really love to help them out.