The strap poll!

How do you support you uke when playing?

• Traditional way, supported by the arm

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • Resting of the lab/knee like a classical guitar

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • Uke leash or other non-button strap

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Strap with one button and headstock attachment

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • Strap with two buttons

Votes: 28 36.8%

• Total voters

UkingViking

Reaction score
I saw that there was a new thread about strap and the number of buttons, and I thought... Lets have a poll!

So, how do you usually support your uke when playing?

Just pick you favorite if you use more than one way.

Last edited:
Not to be difficult but it completely depends. If I am sitting then it's resting on my knee. If I am standing then it's a strap with 2 buttons.

Not to be difficult but it completely depends. If I am sitting then it's resting on my knee. If I am standing then it's a strap with 2 buttons.

I know that it is not that simple, so just answer according to whether you play most standing or sitting. Or which you prefer.

I'm always sitting (lazy, I guess), so it's on my right leg and my leg is crossed over my left to get some raise of the instrument a bit.

I use all the above methods. Baritone sits on my lap. Mya Moes come with 2 buttons. Clara and Pono have one button. Vintage Martins have no buttons and I play the “traditional” way. Sometimes I’ll use a non button strap for the ukes without buttons.

I mainly play sitting, so for soprano I support it w the arm and tenor/bari usually w my knee.
Standing, I really like my Levy's "uke-leash" strap.

I realize that perhaps I should have made separate polls for soprano/concert and tenor/baritone...

Too late!

Don't own a soprano. But I use straps on my concert, three tenors and my baritone. All with two buttons and also all Sherrin's Threads straps. They are beautiful.

Last edited:
I use only one strap button. I don't think there's enough pressure on the necks to be concerned about loosening the necks playing this way. I have no problem with drilling into the butts, but I don't want extra buttons on my necks. It's just a visual thing for me.
I don't play strapless.....it's too controversial.

I don't play strapless.....it's too controversial.
:rofl:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tricky poll to answer, I most often sit or stand, but I don't hold it the usual way, I mainly pick tunes, so I support the body with my little finger normally, & pick with my thumb.

If I do strum, I guess I use my arm to hold the butt end - but I do have strap buttons on most of my ukes, one on the heel, & one on the butt, but tend to just use the one on the heel, with a strap looped around my neck, if I put a strap on.

Last edited:
Always use 2 buttons, if it doesn't have, I add them myself even on vintage or very expensive, got to have them.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 9 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

I voted my preferred way if every choice is available, but I actually use multiple methods depending on the uke.

What kitsunegarcia said; it depends on a) the instrument, and b) how long I'm playing.

I never use a strap on a banjo uke, for example, regardless of how I hold it., but I also never - ever- tie anything to the tuning head.

-Kurt​

Besides having my hands free when I'm standing, having a strap prevents me from dropping my ukulele. Like to turn a page or adjust a mike, or drink my beer. I almost dumped it to the floor sitting the other night—the uke, not the beer. Prevented by the strap. I'm kinda clumsy at times.

I have plenty to think about while I'm playing. Holding onto my uke isn't one of them. A strap just makes playing a little bit easier for me.

Oh, I play tenor ukes. Almost exclusively. I have a strap on my banjolele & my Ohana soprano. (Purchased for my wife. But she doesn't play it.)

These kind of polls seldom give any real poll about the way how ukulele players hold they instrument. Just who happens to participate.

I like it without any, but it is to me ok to have a strap. A lightweight instrument that can have a lots of support that way.

About guitar, the straps suck for me totally. Classical guitar, no way. An acoustic guitar, no other way than play without a strap at home. A solid body electric, in that case something like fly V model needs a strap definately. But who wants no support a furniture in their daily play? And standing up?

For me as told above I prefer ukes straples, but can't deny the advantage of one, because typically you won't get same support as to a guitar sitting. But to grap an uke and just start strumming, I prefer just take it, also I don't have to worry if the strap fails.

Last edited:
Top Bottom