PDA

View Full Version : The strap poll!

UkingViking
09-16-2018, 07:41 PM
I saw that there was a new thread about strap and the number of buttons, and I thought... Lets have a poll!

So, how do you usually support your uke when playing?

Just pick you favorite if you use more than one way.

mikhou
09-16-2018, 08:24 PM
Not to be difficult but it completely depends. If I am sitting then it's resting on my knee. If I am standing then it's a strap with 2 buttons.

UkingViking
09-17-2018, 12:02 AM
Not to be difficult but it completely depends. If I am sitting then it's resting on my knee. If I am standing then it's a strap with 2 buttons.

I know that it is not that simple, so just answer according to whether you play most standing or sitting. Or which you prefer.

bsfloyd
09-17-2018, 01:22 AM
I'm always sitting (lazy, I guess), so it's on my right leg and my leg is crossed over my left to get some raise of the instrument a bit.

Jerryc41
09-17-2018, 01:40 AM

"usually" :) :) :) :)

Martinlover
09-17-2018, 01:45 AM
I use all the above methods. Baritone sits on my lap. Mya Moes come with 2 buttons. Clara and Pono have one button. Vintage Martins have no buttons and I play the “traditional” way. Sometimes I’ll use a non button strap for the ukes without buttons.

edhaponik
09-17-2018, 02:49 AM
I mainly play sitting, so for soprano I support it w the arm and tenor/bari usually w my knee.
Standing, I really like my Levy's "uke-leash" strap.

UkingViking
09-17-2018, 03:32 AM
I realize that perhaps I should have made separate polls for soprano/concert and tenor/baritone...

Too late!

Ukecaster
09-17-2018, 04:21 AM
Voted for strap with 2 buttons, but on soprano, I prefer 1 button, with strap tied to the headstock. Unless a soprano already has 2 strap buttons when I get it, I won't drill the heel for one, especially on a vintage uke.

JJFN
09-17-2018, 04:25 AM
Don't own a soprano. But I use straps on my concert, three tenors and my baritone. All with two buttons and also all Sherrin's Threads straps. They are beautiful.

Nickie
09-17-2018, 04:49 AM
I use only one strap button. I don't think there's enough pressure on the necks to be concerned about loosening the necks playing this way. I have no problem with drilling into the butts, but I don't want extra buttons on my necks. It's just a visual thing for me.
I don't play strapless.....it's too controversial.

Croaky Keith
09-17-2018, 05:00 AM
I don't play strapless.....it's too controversial. :rofl:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tricky poll to answer, I most often sit or stand, but I don't hold it the usual way, I mainly pick tunes, so I support the body with my little finger normally, & pick with my thumb.

If I do strum, I guess I use my arm to hold the butt end - but I do have strap buttons on most of my ukes, one on the heel, & one on the butt, but tend to just use the one on the heel, with a strap looped around my neck, if I put a strap on.

kohanmike
09-17-2018, 06:29 AM
Always use 2 buttons, if it doesn't have, I add them myself even on vintage or very expensive, got to have them.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 9 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

merlin666
09-17-2018, 08:47 AM
Multiple possible choices would be good for people who use more than one support.

kitsunegarcia
09-17-2018, 02:54 PM
I voted my preferred way if every choice is available, but I actually use multiple methods depending on the uke.

ksiegel
09-17-2018, 03:49 PM
What kitsunegarcia said; it depends on a) the instrument, and b) how long I'm playing.

I never use a strap on a banjo uke, for example, regardless of how I hold it., but I also never - ever- tie anything to the tuning head.

-Kurt

Spicysteve
09-17-2018, 04:15 PM
Always two. A must do for me.

Kenn2018
09-17-2018, 06:36 PM
Besides having my hands free when I'm standing, having a strap prevents me from dropping my ukulele. Like to turn a page or adjust a mike, or drink my beer. I almost dumped it to the floor sitting the other night—the uke, not the beer. Prevented by the strap. I'm kinda clumsy at times.

I have plenty to think about while I'm playing. Holding onto my uke isn't one of them. A strap just makes playing a little bit easier for me.

Oh, I play tenor ukes. Almost exclusively. I have a strap on my banjolele & my Ohana soprano. (Purchased for my wife. But she doesn't play it.)

Jarmo_S
09-19-2018, 06:08 AM
These kind of polls seldom give any real poll about the way how ukulele players hold they instrument. Just who happens to participate.

I like it without any, but it is to me ok to have a strap. A lightweight instrument that can have a lots of support that way.

About guitar, the straps suck for me totally. Classical guitar, no way. An acoustic guitar, no other way than play without a strap at home. A solid body electric, in that case something like fly V model needs a strap definately. But who wants no support a furniture in their daily play? And standing up?

For me as told above I prefer ukes straples, but can't deny the advantage of one, because typically you won't get same support as to a guitar sitting. But to grap an uke and just start strumming, I prefer just take it, also I don't have to worry if the strap fails.