Kala Ukulele and King Kalakaua

Hmmm, interesting theory. It does make one wonder.

Of course, my friend's daughter is named Kala AND she plays uke. So...

Nice theory, but from the Mike Upton on the Kala site...

"Ka-lah,” that’s the sun. Kala is also a type of fish. It’s also slang for money, like cash. It’s kind of hard to describe, but it also can be a prayer of forgiveness. When different Hawaiian tribes were at war, it was part of a peace treaty called the Kala. It was like, they released each other and said, “We’re making peace.” That’s a really loose translation of what it is, but I liked the thought of forgiveness and peace.

John

Replying to 70sSanO

Interesting. I guess with only twelve letters in their alphabet, the Hawaiians had to get the most out of every word. :)

Hawaiian is or was rather an interesting language. After americans took over the island, the language started to die.
Some people like izz wanted to fight back, but more it was even then about independence, because the language had slowly died already.

It was an open phonetic language same as my finnish. In my language Kala means a fish, but i'm not so sure it means the same in hawaiian. Many same words though meaning different things :p
70sSanO propably gave most conscise eplanation what Kala means, though lets just think it is a name some guy thought about to make an ukulele brand, perhaps with not much knowledge except just it sounds hawaiian lol.

Replying to 70sSanO

Interesting. I guess with only twelve letters in their alphabet, the Hawaiians had to get the most out of every word. :)

I wasn't aware there were only 12 letters. I would think care would be needed not to inadvertantly cuss someone out or invite them to dinner... lol.

John

Replying to 70sSanO

Imagine how it would be if the missionaries had specified enough letters to fully account for depth and range of the spoken Hawaiian language.

PS, I don't think spoken Hawaiian ever died.

Last edited:
Top Bottom