What do you think of my 2006 Bushman Jenny Baritone?

banjo-guy

Reaction score
One of my old guitar students gave me two ukuleles. One of the ukuleles is a Bushman Baritone Jenny dated 2006. I’ve seen some really negative feedback about Bushman and some raves.

My wife’s close friend wants to buy this uke and I have no idea what it’s worth. It seems pretty nice to me but I can’t find any information about it. Can anyone tell what I have and what it would sell for?

Thanks for the help. It’s really in very good shape. It has very minor playing wear and no case or bag.

Post some pic's...also what model, should say on the label inside the sound hole.

I started playing around 2003-04. The Bushman Jenny ukes got amazing reviews back then.

Never played their baritones, but the sopranos I had were awesome. Great wood (all solid mahogany), sound, and played really well!

The sopranos went for around $199. The baritone was around $300 new. Can’t remember the exact price because I wasn’t into baritones back then.

Last edited:
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I have to figure out how to post pictures. I’ll post a few shots as soon as learn how.

0BB87298-74C9-4A87-8A55-0C61422645D6.jpg

Attachments

• D55B5AA7-F665-4B72-9847-0BE9F8EB5767.jpg
    D55B5AA7-F665-4B72-9847-0BE9F8EB5767.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 63
  • CB0114F0-36B2-4C68-A935-3025A3B26E07.jpg
    CB0114F0-36B2-4C68-A935-3025A3B26E07.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 35736CCA-B4BB-44F4-955B-F78C9FCFE35F.jpg
    35736CCA-B4BB-44F4-955B-F78C9FCFE35F.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I recall Bushman had some quality and delivery problems at least about 10 years ago. Mainland Ukes is a similar import design but a higher quality product. My guess is a used Bushman uke should sell for less than a used Mainland. A new Mainland mahogany baritone currently lists for $319.50. A new Kala solid mahogany bari is $279. So a very good, but used Jenny might be worth around $200 with a case. YMMV.

Last edited:
I actually looked at all the eBay and Reverb.com listings before posting and I did an overall internet search. I haven’t found any listings of my baritone. What I did find was many different Bushman models including some with cutaways resembling an arch top guitar.

I also found warnings not to buy from Bushman. It seems that the ukes were of a higher quality when they first came out. They had distribution problems and quality control issues in later years.

I told my friend the Bushman Baritone is worth 50.00 but it’s obviously worth more. I might just sell it to her for a low price because she is a friend.

I have a 1950’s Martin Tenor that I love. I tend to use that uke as a standard to measure ukes.
I know comparing baritones to tenors is a little like comparing apples to oranges.

Bushman used to be quite good for eastern import ukuleles, and at one point most of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain played on one. Then, as said above, the company was taken over and there were some issues, not only with deliveries and communcation but also with quality control.

So yours could be a 'good ol'e one'!

I have fond memories of my Bushman and wish I hadn’t sold it. Strings make a difference.

Bushman used to be quite good for eastern import ukuleles, and at one point most of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain played on one. Then, as said above, the company was taken over and there were some issues, not only with deliveries and communcation but also with quality control.

So yours could be a 'good ol'e one'!
Do you know when the change happened? Would 2006 still be in the “good years”?

Problems started in 2009, if I recall it correctly. In 2008 the UOGB still had around 4 Bushman ukes in their lineup, including a Jenny baritone played by Richie Williams.

Top Bottom