Low G on which uke

jricc

Reaction score
Looking for some help here. I want to string one of my 3 ukes with a low G. I have a cheapie Makala Dolphin soprano, a Cordoba Protoge concert and a solid spruce top Ohana tenor. Which of these would you string with a low G?
Btw, I play the Makala soprano the most:eek:

Last edited:
Tenor is the better answer. Concert can work if you want lower tension. Not the soprano.

I have Low-G on all but two of my tenors: A Shelly Parks/Moodyville Walnut/Spruce Gypsy Jazz tenor and a Pono MGT Mango both of which sound great with re-entrant tuning. Oh, the soprano is re-entrant as well.

Last week I took my mango to the weekly club gathering and commented to a friend that I play Linear tuning so often now that re-entrant sounds off to me.

I don't care for the sound of wound strings, so almost all of my ukes have plain fluorocarbon strings. Either Living Waters or Worth Browns.

What sort of bridge do your ukuleles have. Slot or tie on bridge. My tenor has a tie on bridge which means I'd have to change two strings, the G string and loosen th C string to tuck in the G. My other ukuleles have a slot bridge would only have to change the G. Would prefer to change the tenor that said.
LaCole

Why not :) I have a dolphin with a low G.. not a one way street.. try it on all!

Why not? Cuz I said so. :p
Seriously, OP said the soprano was the most played uke, so there’s no reason to mess with it. You are right that it can work, it’s just harder to find a string with the right tension, and the body size isn’t ideal for the lower frequencies either.

Why not? Cuz I said so. :p
Seriously, OP said the soprano was the most played uke, so there’s no reason to mess with it. You are right that it can work, it’s just harder to find a string with the right tension, and the body size isn’t ideal for the lower frequencies either.

THIS! Before i posted my question, i tried the low G on the soprano, and it was floppy and barely heard over the other 3 strings, so off it came. Im going to try on the concert next. Thank u all for your responses!

THIS! Before i posted my question, i tried the low G on the soprano, and it was floppy and barely heard over the other 3 strings, so off it came. Im going to try on the concert next. Thank u all for your responses!
Cool! You tried :)

I play tenors almost exclusively. I have Low-G tuning on most of them. The two I still have re-entrant tuning on just don't sound quite right to me now.

Top Bottom